Skreddy Echo owners~do you only swim in the soup?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TREV FLINT, Dec 16, 2009.

1. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

To all the Skreddy Echo owners out there, do you use the Skrecho only for the "soupy" ambience effect? The reason I ask is I am having a hard time dialing a simple slap-back or beefed up solo effect especially when using overdrive pedals in front. Its easy to dial in the soup and start swimming but I only have the one delay pedal so I need to dial in some traditional sounds.

Any setting suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Since the mix control goes to 100% wet, it is heavily weighted to wet settings (i.e.; in half a turn, you get to where some delays are when you crank them). You have to dial back the mix knob ruthlessly low to get to that subtle, early Van Halen Echoplex/cathedral or Chet Atkins slapback effect.

If you always want a more subtle setting, then feel free to adjust the delay-line's level trimpot counterclockwise to open up the subtle side of things.

3. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Silver Supporting Member

Question about a Skreddy Echo, which Skreddy answered, so this is perhaps one of the ultimate "tough act to follow" spots on TGP.

I thus will only add that I don't use it as a soup at all. In fact, I like its clarity. Although my Boss DM-2 does a delicious slapback, I like the fact that the Skreddy Echo retains that signal clarity, even with multiple repeats and a bit of warble.

Spoiled for sure, I love having both the Boss and Skreddy delays.

4. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I had an Echo and loved the sound, but thought it was way too soupy. Like an idiot, I sold it before I found out about turning that trimmer down. I have another one on the way (any day now, I hope) and can't wait to try it with that trimmer turned down a bit.

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Well, obviously Marc knows better than anyone how to tweak this, so all I'll add is that his suggestion of dialing back the loop level trimmer totally worked for me.

I dialed it back until the pedal would no longer self oscillate and then dialed it up again to just the point where the pedal would self oscillate again. That's where I left it and now I get much more control over the lower range of the mix knob. Now I can get those great VH echo tones, beefed up solos, and some killer slapback.

The pedal now does that "just a touch of echo" thing as nicely as my Thundertweak delay, which was king for that type of thing.

Plus, you can still get the soup ...

6. stien

stien Member

I have a real echoplex and I turn the mix knob to 9 oclock (6 oclock being fully dry) most of the time. You don't need much mixed in to beef up a solo, especially when you hit it with dirt. In fact I find if it's mixed in any more then the delay encroaches on the dry signal too much to be tasteful.

7. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

What's that you say? No soup!?!? But it's the best dang soup there is! No Soup For You!

8. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

:( 2 down, 3 months to go for me. I'm thinking it'll be more like 6 months total wait time by March.

9. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

10. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Nice, this was my favorite skit on Sesamie Street when I was a kid!

Also, thanks fot the input everyone~ the Skrecho really is a gem.