Skreddy Echo Vs Chase Bliss

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ed_dale007, May 17, 2016.

1. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

I like my skreddy echo but its lack of tap temp really limits it for me. Im thinking about grabbing the new chase bliss delay or maybe a jhs panther cub. Anybody ever compare the two?

2. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I have no first hand experience with the Chase Bliss delay, but it is an analog bucket brigade delay with advanced (digitally controlled) features such as tap tempo amd ramp functions. The Skreddy Echo is a digital delay that emulates a classic tape echo (I assume Echoplex). Having a tap tempo delay alongside the Skreddy Echo is a great combination if you have room for it. If I were you, I would in any case keep the Skreddy Echo, I've yet to find a better tape echo simulation. YMMV.

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I'd say the MLjr is a much more direct comparison if you just want the Skreddy plus tap. They are both digital with an analog voice and have modulation.

4. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

Selling the Skreddy can be tempting since the resale value is still high, BUT....

IMO, don't sell it. Nothing sounds like the Skreddy Echo. The perfectly shaved repeats with the perfect amount of ducking = echo perfection. It's one of a kind, and special. It easily becomes part of one's main tone, instead of just another effect.

That said, I REALLY want to try the Chase Bliss. 'Tlooks amazing.

ChampReverb likes this.
  5. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Supporting Member

I have both the Skreddy and El Cap, and slightly prefer the El Cap. A DMM into the El Cap is a blissful combination. A DMM into the Skreddy is also very good.

I say keep both!

DryBones likes this.
  6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

The Skreddy and Chase Bliss sound very different. (I have both.)

The CB sounds great and does lots of unique things. But the base sound of the Skreddy is very different in (1) the overall brightness of the delay, (2) the tape-type filtering that cuts low end as it repeats, creating an increasing focus on the mid/high range, and (3) the limiting on the delay line that pushes the feedback into a soup that can go on for an extremely long time in the background without runaway volume.

By comparison, the CB repeats are darker (though relatively bright for an analog delay), the filtering is more of a lowpass effect, and although the CB can get nice long feedback tails, they don't have the limiting of the Skreddy and will tip over into runaway volume more easily. But again, the CB is a great sounding analog delay and obviously has a ton more options than the Skreddy.

Hope that helps.

Per TGP requirements, please note that I've been compensated for work with CB.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    jacopo likes this.