Skreddy Echo vs. Timefactor tape

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slopeshoulder, Feb 23, 2009.

1. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have the Timefactor and reallylike it (I also have Soundtoys Echoboy and use it for 99% of recorded delays). Of course I know the dramatic difference in versatility and features of the TF vs. the SE. But what do you think? Is the SE givin' up da tape in a way that TF can't? Is it (really) worth having both given the $50 difference in price?
    Oddly enough, my feet were happier when I just had the Analogman and Deep Blue delays, and did multitap and radical delay only in the computer.

I'm probably selling my Klon, so I was wondering if I should seriously consider this pedal or get over it. Ooo, should I really piss off the missus and reach for the TTE? Nah, too much hassle. Hmmm...

What do you think/advice/like? TF and/or SE?

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I have both. The Skreddy is a better sounding delay and is dramatically more easy to work with but the TF is obviously more versatile.

[​IMG]

3. slopeshoulder

HA. i just saw your board in the mondo thread and was wondering. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it seems so very musical.
    Can you tell me much better sounding how? Just a little more info? Thanks.

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The Timefactor sounds digital to me. It has the endless repeats that a tape delay should not. Its too clear. The filtering on the Skreddy is more accurate to tape for me and its a more pleasant delay sound that sits well in the mix while the time factor always seems to cut through a little too much. The modulation is nicer on the Skreddy too. I have the skreddy for writing and using with dirt and I usually use the time factor a little more with clean stuff.

Here is a link to a video that shows off the skreddy a little bit. This is all skreddy echo, screwdriver and lunar module.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSRD_Oe7Tbo

5. EDS

EDS Supporting Member

I've owned alot of digi/analog delays - timefactor, superdelay, various boss (including modded ones), quicksilver, DL4, earthquaker, a couple Deluxe Memory Men, Ibanez De-7 and several other "low-end" delays - they all pretty much get the job done and sound good/great/decent.

But the Skreddy is my favorite - it won't replace the timefactor or superdelay, but there's something about the way it decays and the modulation - it really is that good.

6. slopeshoulder

7. allmonochrome

allmonochrome Member

i have both as well, and i have tried several times to get the timefactor to sound like the skreddy. it's not gonna happen. the timefactor's filter simply makes the delay "less clear," but it isn't filtered in the really ear-pleasing way that the echo is.

8. etc

etc Member

Never owned a timefactor, but just picked up a skreddy last week and it is the best delay I've ever used. Used it at band practice a few night ago and it blew everybody away. To my ears, it does things that no other pedal can do.

9. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Member

I love my Timefactor, but I got tired of begging them to revise the tape delay. It needs to be dirtier and have better filtering. And the noise knob? What idiot thought that would be a good idea? I bought an analog delay to next to it. I hope they revise it, because my Echo Park, homebuilt delay, and Echoczar all kill the Timefactor for tape sounds. Bummer!

Everything else the TF does is awesome. It wouldn't take that much work to redo the tape delay. The wow and flutter are fine to me, but the (tape) delay sounds like a digital delay with a low pass filter. If you want a rack stye Eventide/TC/Lexicon style delay on the floor, the TF is it. I just wish that since they put the Tape delay as an option that they would make it sound better and more accurate.

10. lv

lv Member

This is a beautiful clip - really gorgeous tone and playing.

11. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I've always felt that the tape delay on the TF is not the greatest (I've compared to my TTE and its not the same game) so I am not surprised that folks feel a more specific type delay like the Skreddy is better at tha t job. TF is still IMHO the best multi type delay pedal out there.

12. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

definitely the Skreddy.

I like the TF but it is also far too digital to my ear.