Skreddy Hybrid Overdrive (Precision Series)

eriwebnerr

Hi All - hadn't seen a thread on this (surprisingly). Interested in this pedal and can't find much in the way of sound samples and videos either.

On the site they describe it as "Sounds nearly identical to the Hybrid Fuzz Driver". I have owned a HFD in the past, but had a hard time dialing in low end without it getting farty and also the high end was aggressive. The "presence" control was a bit higher than what I was trying to dial down.

This Precision series pedal sounds promising in that the tone control is said to be "stronger" to dial out the fizz and it supposed to have a tad more lower mids. Any first hand experience with this pedal? Interested in where the mids sit with the absence of the mid boost control.

Thanks!

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
I've played both versions. I think Marc did a tremendous job with the Hybrid Overdrive. They are really close - first of all and beyond that you're talking minutia. I thought the completely handwired was a bit more open sounding, however with the claim that the precision series has a bit more lower mids thats is what I could be hearing. The precision though was even easier to dial in based on the 3 knobs (instead of 5) and I thought it did a light overdrive even better. It certainly captures that creamy midrange tone and has good snap - which most pedals really fail to do. I think its one of the better pedals out there and I may pick up another one.

In fact, I'm so confident that this is a killer pedal that if you buy it and don't like it, I'll buy it from you. How's that for putting my money where my mouth is!?

eriwebnerr

Thanks for the replies! I will have to check one out. I liked the HFD but I play strats more often and it did sound a little harsh. This one sounds promising!

eriwebnerr

it's worth noting that the screwdriver is available again

I know! That doesn't make the decision any easier! :p
I did have a screwdriver in the past and I really liked it but I do think it was a tad more polite and smooth than the HFD. I'm kind of liking the sputtering and spit on the HFD lately.

bradtfw

Silver Supporting Member
Bump for any more experiences with the Hybrid OD. I play a Tele through a clean-ish amp and think it may work better for me than the Screw Driver.

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
For some reason there are very few clips of the precision series. I have several and they have all been outstanding and highly underrated. I have a rust rod in the mail, I have the Rover, the Hybrid, and the dynamic mids enhancer. None are going anywhere.

I also have the mini deluxe versions of the screwdriver, lunar module, and hybrid fuzz, along with a p19. I’m on the verge of being a Skreddy fanboy, but I don’t know what to tell you. I go out and play, and as long as one of these is on my board I know the night will go fine. They just work for me.

jujube

I have put in an order for a Hybrid Overdrive. I mainly play a Strat and my main dirt pedal is the Screwdriver. Just an incredible touch sensitive pedal. Will report back on the differences. I also have a P19.

Skreddy is just great.

monkmiles

Jazz/Funk/Rawk/Groove
Silver Supporting Member
I just got a Hybrid Overdrive in a trade with a fellow member here. I'm a long time Screwdriver fan, have had some version of it on my board for as long as I care to remember and likely always will. I will also say that I tried a Hybrid Fuzz Driver a while back and it wasn't quite my thing, a bit to bright for my liking. I also have had a Rover and a Major Overdrive, both rawked. Anyways, I am just putting the Hybrid Overdrive through its paces but initial reaction is it's fantastic. It has a good range for just 3 controls, but honestly what I am liking it most for so far is a cranked amp crunch! I suppose it has a smidge of fuzzy edge, but really just a smidge. It reacts more like an amp than the Screwdriver I think and is a tad less compressed. That said, I do enjoy the compression of the Screwdriver. I think I'm setting up a second board and this pedal will easily take the crunch spot for me.

Last edited:

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Major Overdrive now too. If I’m not mistaken, I now own all the Precision’s. I didn’t set out to do that, it just sort of happened that each interested me for different reasons. Never the less, they are all excellent. Really can’t find a thing not to like about them.

bxlxaxkxe

Silver Supporting Member
The current line up kind of confuses me now. The Hybrid Fuzz driver is aimed at humbuckers, the Hybrid OD is cost efficient version of the Hybrid Fuzz Driver, so what's aimed at single coil guys? Screw Driver?

sstweed

Silver Supporting Member
The current line up kind of confuses me now. The Hybrid Fuzz driver is aimed at humbuckers, the Hybrid OD is cost efficient version of the Hybrid Fuzz Driver, so what's aimed at single coil guys? Screw Driver?
Just general guidelines I think. I use humbuckers and/or single coils with all my Skreddy’s. They always deliver.

Skreddy

Yeah; for sure the Screw Driver (my very first overdrive design) was designed around my Strat with Bill Lawrence L-280's (kind of a vintage low-ish output single-coil pickup). The idea behind the Screw Driver was to get my Strat to produce those in-between/edge-of-breakup tones like Jimmy Page, but without having to fiddle with my guitar's volume pot at all--just dial in the sound with the pedal and go, varying the pick attack to get varying degrees of distortion. It works fine with humbuckers but doesn't get as clean. So the HFD came much later and was designed around the PAF-type output of a set of vintage Maxon humbuckers I really like, and it is also intended to be more responsive to the guitar's volume as far as cleanup is concerned, since a LP player will generally do a lot of fiddling with the 2 volume pots to get the sound just so.

Last edited:

ItJustRocks

Platinum Supporting Member
I will say that I have yet to hear an overdrive pedal sound as good as the hybrid fuzz driver does in the in-between strat positions.

Jac78221

Gold Supporting Member
Is there one that can go from roll the volume back Hendrix to VH With a strat?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom