Skreddy Lunar Module shootout

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zosozep7, Dec 25, 2009.

1. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

In the last week, I have purchased 3 fuzz pedals. MXR Classic Fuzz, Big Muff and the Skreddy Lunar Module.

I really enjoyed the sound of all three so I stacked them and did a comparison. In my opinion, the LM was far ahead of the other 2! The LM is a tone monster and might be the best pedal I now own.

The MXR to me was somewhat close in sound but just a tad thinner and the Muff was real thin sounding. I am still playing with the BM though.

Gonna definetely look into some more Skreddy pedals. Not sure if I just got lucky with the Lunar Module(thanks to a TGP member. Thanks!) and scored a nice one or if they all sound that way but Im sold!

2. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

i had a lunar module, i will get another one in the future, but the MXR didn't even come close to the fuzzy goodness of the LM when my friend brought his over to jam.

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Big Muff thin sounding?:messedup
    I'd like to get a Lunar Module-I've been wanting a silicon fuzz but I'm not sure how much different it would be than my London Fuzz (germanium). I know there's a difference, but how redundent would it be? I'm actually trying to downsize a little. The Mxr is another one I've been considering, but if the Skreddy is clearly better I'd rather wait and pay the difference than settle for a lesser sounding pedal.

4. bgoez

bgoez Stratocasters are my downfall!

new big muff or old big muff? I did the shoot out and the LM sounds so similar to my early 80s big muff that it was hard to tell. I do love the small form factor of the LM. but the big muff only cost me $80 bucks.. I do have to share the love for the Skreddy stuff I'm a believer.

5. zosozep7

Brand spankin new Muff. I do like the Muff and the MXR. I just found the Lunar to be more full or robust over the other two. Definetly want to try a Pig Mine next!!

6. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

I have an original ram's head and had a lunar modules- the lunar module went into orbit,but they are apples and oranges tone wise

7. jarder

jarder Member

I thought that the Lunar Module was an interpretation of the Fuzz Face circuit?

8. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

totally based on the Fuzz Face.

but man. that LM is a TOTAL tone monster.

9. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

You'd be closer compairing one of the "mufflike" Skreddy's than the LM.
    There no where near the same.

10. or bowling

or bowling Member

Gonna try one tomorrow

- great quote BTW! - I do my best thinking on the bus

11. mobis8

mobis8 Member

I agree... It is quickly becoming my "go-to" pedal for all of my lead tones... I mix a bit of reverb and it just sounds sooo good.

I have never messed with the two internal trim pots on the sides... Actually, I am not even sure what they do. Anyone care to share, or advise if they are something I am best not to mess with (hence why they are not on the outside). I assume one is a bias, the other pre or post gain or something?

12. drunkenguitar

drunkenguitar Supporting Member

I got a LM the other day. I'm liking it so far. Definitely sounds like a fuzz face circuit that's got that extra "sweetness" factor that all Skreddy pedals seem to come with.
    The only other FF type pedals that I have is a MJM London Fuzz (Ge.), and a D*A*M Meathead. Both of which are completely different beasts altogether.
    The MJM sounds more like your straight vintage early Hendrixian style fuzz box, the D*A*M on the other hand is a high gain super charged monster.
    Now, with that being said, I still haven't messed around with the trim pots. I primarily use my Guild S-100 that's loaded with Humbuckers. I'll see if I can dial in an extra dark tone..can't wait.

13. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Cool, I have an ge London Fuzz and the Lunar Module is one I'm interested in-the London can get pretty murky sometimes being a germanium. Any more info on how they compare soundwise? Also, how's the noise floor on the Lunar Module-one youtube video shows it being pretty noisy compared to another fuzz, can't remember which one.

14. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

The LM can match the bottom end of a Big Muff, but in no way can it get as saturated (two different circuits, different component counts, apples to orange comparison). I have owned the Lunar Module on two separate occasions and both were booted by a Sun Face. Although the LM is derived from the Fuzz Face, my preference is simply that...a preference. Both are excellent, but I preferred the feel and snarl of the Sun Face.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Pellecaster likes this.
  15. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

2 questions about the trimpots in this thread:

The "range" trimpot is the pre-gain control, the gain of the input transistor. It can get very well-behaved and low-gain, or it can get over-the-top depending on where you set this. 3:00 o'clock gives lots of gain and is turned down enough to reduce noise at the same time.

The "brite" trimpot is the brilliance or treble control; It's probably best at about 3:00 o'clock. If you like more rawness and fizz and clarity, turn this up. I should probably change this control to a 50k instead, because it's a 100k, and I never go lower than noon.

I was playing with a Lunar last night, and with the "range" dimed and the "body" knob all the way to the left and the "fuzz" dimed (I know it can get noisy in this setting) I was getting super-saturated, early Jimmy Page Tone Bender type syrupy endless sustain with upper octave sweetness. It actually was more saturated than a Big Muff circuit in that setting. I know; I was surprised too.

But yeah, the Lunar is not an exact clone of a Fuzz Face, so I believe you might prefer an actual FF if that's what you like.

Sunstone Recordings likes this.
  16. zosozep7

No noise issues here with my LM. Still in love with it. I just picked up a Lumpy Shop MKII and it really sings!! Kinda sounds a little like the LM. I can get Zeppelin 1 with that Lumpy. Ill have to try what Skreddy said with the LM.

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Old thread I know......Anyone try a LP into the LM?

Any comparisons to the Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver that is similar in taking from both the Screwdriver and Lunar Module characteristics?

In other words does the LM play nice with humbuckers?

I would use Fender single coils and Gibsons so I'd like to know.
    (I know the TGP answer is "get both!")

18. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

I use a PRS DGT and have no problems at all. With 'buckers you just need to lower the body(bass into the circuit) and keep the range (pre-gain) a tad lower.

19. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

I usually park between 10:00 (for jazzier sounds) and 2:00. Too much higher than that and I feel like I might be getting a little piercing with my rig.

I just did this exact thing the other day too and it made me re-fall in love with my LM. I ended up doing what you said about just backing off of the range control to tame the noise, but what fun!!!

Thanks for this pedal, Marc. Still loving it after years!

20. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Not sure if this is exactly what you're asking for, but I did this video a few months back...