Skreddy Mayo: Info/fair price on used market?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tapeup, Jun 21, 2008.

1. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

I am looking to find out information on what the Skreddy Mayo sounds like(i.e. if it's based off of a Big Muff, then which version BM?) and what a good price-point on the used market would be? I realize it is no longer made by Skreddy, so that is why I'm curious what a reasonable amount to pay for one would be. Thanks for any input!

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i think that people are paying anywhere from 300.00 for 400.00 bucks for these at the moment...

3. emjee

emjee Member

Yes, 3-4 sounds about right. Right now. But these things do what they do so dang gum well I think they may well be going for twice that in a couple years. Especially since Mark has retired the model. One of the most kickin pedals out there. As was said by someone else recently, it does one thing (and it doesnt clean up all that well), but it does that one thing better than 95% of other pedal. The thing has sustain for DAYS, and virtually no noise. I have tried many, MANY fuzzes, and all the stuff you hear about the Mayo is no hype.

MG

4. erksin

erksin Member

I've played 2 other Skreddys (a Pink Flesh and Lunar Module) and own one (Screw Driver) - they've all sounded fantastic. The Screw Driver is a modern classic IMO - incredible pedal.

5. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

The price on a Mayo is usually $300-400 up about about $100 from just 6 months ago

6. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

Honestly Sandro, this is exactly what made me ask the question in the first place, as I have always been a huge DJ fan, and I saw this this morning...the price seemed high, so I was wondering how far-fetched that price is?...but it is what it is, a custom enclosure of the Mayo, which is a pedal that is no longer made, and I never snagged one while they were still available...it looks like this one has no mids switch, how important was that additional feature? I used to often see people posting wtb adds in the emporium for mayos with the mids switch.

7. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The Mayo is an amazing pedal but I dont know what mayo you played that had no noise. Its a Muff. Muffs are the noisiest pedals on earth. They sound like gale force winds if you turn them on and dont play.

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Mayo is probably my favourite fuzz ever, alas I foolishly traded mine about a year or so back :( Damn, was I stupid! I did get a cool pedal, but I traded that off, too!
    I'm gonna' have to find one again, as I just miss it too darn much! Marc's fuzz pedals are like nothing else. Also, I hate seeing people ask like $100 more for a paintjob that Marc probably did for free for them... oh well.

9. pbone

pbone Member

You're paying for aged transistors and hype. I've never tried one, so I can't verify any hype, but that's about it.

10. jjnews

jjnews Member

I´ve owned ?lady and it was pretty good. But 400$ for a muff copy..no way hose.....

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Speaking of ? lady's (not to derail this thread)...
    how come those hardly ever come up for sale used? I don't think I've ever even seen one... I've got one and love it. Are they that rare or something?

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Depends how you have it set up. Mine isn't DEAD quiet but honestly it's no louder than a TS. I have my amp set fairly loud and my guitar on 10 so the Mayo volume is pretty low. If I kill my amp volume and crank the Mayo sure it's loud, but as I have it everything is pretty quiet.

As for the hype comments...no. I've played a lot of pedals that were all hype but the Mayo isn't one of them, not by a long shot.

13. emjee

emjee Member

Obviously NO pedal on earth is so silent you can hear a freaking pin drop. I meant RELATIVELY speaking, for Muffs, mine is quiet.
    YM(ayo)MV

14. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

:eek::):tapedshut:D

15. ekimtoria

ekimtoria Member

I love the Mayo and the mids switch is a great feature, depending on the application. Definitely worth having the switch.... The excessive prices
    seem a bit greedy....but what can you do? The market creates this. :jo

16. emjee

emjee Member

I really dont think 350 for a mayo is unreasonable. Look at BJF's. They too were originally 200 dollar pedals but their value went up. Why? Because people love them. Period. Us guitar players are a fickle yet somewhat financially conservative bunch, but when a pedal hits these pages that is well recieved , a price gets set for them and thats it. If the Mayo were made by BJF they would be going for no less than 400. Its a funny market, but resale prices are ultimately determined by what people are willing to pay for what they percieve to be one kickbutt pedal. Of course this is all IMHO, but there are REALLY very few pedal on the market that pleases so many people..

MG

17. btmish

btmish Member

Not to mention, most of the BJF's are still available, although not real easily got. While the Mayo is no longer made, and there is a limited number of them in existence. I am currently trying to sell mine and don't really feel greedy about it. In fact, I STILL hate to sell it even at those prices, for it is one of my all-time favorite pedals, but alas, I can't afford to keep two skreddy's right now. So, as hard as it is, the Mayo must go.

18. riker4208

riker4208 Member

I've had muff's......couldn't use them live. The mayo is worth it simply because I love the sound, and perfect live.

19. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

That's what makes Marc's pedals interesting. Anyone could take widely available transistors, ignore the tolerances, slap them into generic circuits, and settle into a comfy cookie-cutter operation for years to come.