Skreddy Mayo vs Skreddy ? Lady

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops

Has anyone compared these two pedals? What are the differences? I've decided on either a Huckleberry or a Skreddy Mayo but someone recommended that I check out the ? Lady as well. Other than the FuzzFactory, is there any hope in finding a really caustic industrial style fuzz ala NIN, specifically the Fragile album?

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I have the mayo, and have the ? lady & screwdriver on order. I will be able to tell you when I get them...in september;)...so far Im loving my mayo, more than my FF and Bigmuff, and vox tonebender, and everything else. You can get sooo many awsome fuzz sounds out of it. I cant wait on the ? lady...Its supposed to be based on the triangle knob big muff from 73' I think...a bit more "harsh" sounding than the mayo...

3. Platypus

As far as the mayo, can you get an almost 'synth' level of harsh cutting distortion with it? I want something really over the top heavy, amp about to explode sound out of it, but also tones like smashing pumpkins, zep, etc.

And I've played the fuzzfactory a bunch and can never get anything resembling music out of it..

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Yea you could get all those sounds you listed out of it, atleast I think so. As for teh FF, I find that I can get alot of good sounds out of it, maybe you should check out the FF settings list/chart, its been posted here a few times. It helps out. Alot. Give the mayo ago though, you can get pretty damn heavy with it.

5. murch33

murch33 Active Member

I don't think of the Mayo as "synthy" at all. But I'm very anxious to try out the ? Lady whenever I get the chance.

As far as industrial sounding fuzz tones go, try throwing a Machine into the mix. That's supposed to be a one-way trip to industrial land.

6. Platypus

Machine? Got a link?

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

8. Platypus

From Zach:
    One thing to keep in mind, however, is that this pedal basically sounds horrible.

Right... I want this to sound good, musical, not the noise factory that the FF turned out to be. Does anyone know what I'm talking about when I say 'fragile era NIN' sound? Can the ? Lady get there if so?
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

theres just 1 or 2 people on TGP who have the ? lady... it just came out... maybe theyll chim in though. And the machine doesnt sound horrible. He talks like that about all his stuff...(dont ask me). Did you even watch te video???

10. Platypus

Yes, it's not at all what I'm describing.

I'll get a clip of what I'm talking about and make an mp3 out of it and post it here when I get home from work.

11. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I'm not all that familiar with NIN, but my first thought was also a Machine. If you want the synthy, over-the-top fuzz with the ability to also do Pumpkins, then, yes, a ? Lady pedal will work. A Mayo will give you a nice all-around, work-horse, versatile Muff tone, but at the expense of the synthy, over-the-top extreme.

Edit: Oooh; I just had another thought. Have you heard a SuperFuzz? There are a few versions of that circuit being produced these days.

12. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Fragile is the more musical side of NIN IMO. I don't think Skreddy's stuff does that. It depends a lot on the amp you have as well. Definately keep an eye on the machine. I also think you can get those sounds from a hellbilly. It isn't super high gain but enough to give you some power. I will be getting the mayo with in a week so I will tell how it holds up to industrial type sounds. Another thing to remember NIN is very bass driven and that has a lot to do with their guitar sound as well.

13. robbert

robbert Member

Kind of off topic but can the ? Lady pedal get similar sustaining sounds like Robert Fripp on the old King Crimson records?
    I believe he used an old Big Muff through HIWATTS.
    Was the ? Lady pedal designed to be used with a clean amp, dirty or both?
    Thanks in advance!

14. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yes; it's roughly based on the ram's head Big Muff but with some tweeks and careful parts selection. Fripp's tones to me sound like he cranks the tone knob on a Muff, as opposed to like Billy Corgan who seems to like the full-range, scooped tones near the middle setting. So to get the most out of a ? Lady when aiming for Fripp tones, I'd suggest a flat-mids tone stack. This would allow you to crank the tone knob fairly high without it getting too thin. Since there would be no mid scoop, the high setting of the tone knob would contain juicy mids, where a stock muff tone stack sounds thin and grating at the clockwise extreme. I've already made one of these, painted in crimson metalflake, and called it "King."

Designed for clean amps. Dirty is fine too, though.

15. Platypus

Wow, skreddy himself in my thread, I'm honored :eek:

Thanks for the replies all.

Skreddy, would you mind if I sent you an mp3 clip of what I'm going for because it sounds like the ? Lady is what I'm after

16. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

My name in the thread title usually brings me out of the woodwork. :cool: Yeah; please send me the mp3. Thanks!

17. Platypus

18. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Sounds like fuzz with octave splatteriness, not a Big Muff style fuzz. Try something in a Superfuzz or a Fender Blender or an Ampeg Scrambler.

19. Platypus

Is it possible to get in the same realm of this with the ?Lady ? I want to get one Fuzz pedal and a lot of the tones I'm after are muff-fuzz based. After hearing those clips do you think that machine pedal is something to check out?

20. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

The Machine pedal would be roughly that splattery tone times three. Very not subtle. But there are a lot of cheap octavy fuzzes out there, like the Voodoo Lab Superfuzz and the reissue Ampeg Scrambler and the reissue Fender Blender. For the price of a Mayo or a ? Lady you could probably get an EH Little Big Muff and a VL Superfuzz, both of which are probably more in line with the industrial tones you're after. The Mayo and ? Lady are great though. It's all a question of your priorities.