Skreddy Mayo! Wow!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teddy boy, Jan 24, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gentlemen,

I ventured down to Denmark Street in London today during my stay at my parents in England. I had a specific aim of purchasing a fuzz, either a fuzz face- or a big muff-type fuzz. I found myself at Vintage and Rare Guitars lined up with a Skreddy Mayo, an Analogman Sunface w/sundial a Frantone Sweet and Peach Fuzz and a Demeter Fuzzulator.

I really liked all of them except the Sweet, which was a bit too heavy and sludgy. I found the Mayo to be the most useful to me. I've been after a nice BMP tone for a while now and I had already heard a lot about it. The Mayo is a really nice, articulated and balanced fuzz. The tone is massive and healthy! The nice thing is that this fuzz seems to have a mid-range, or more of a mid-range, than your average Muff.

I'll surely look into the other fuzzes later too. The Fuzzulator seemed like a really practical and usable fuzz face type pedal. It seemed great with a clean amp, whereas the Sunface clearly needed a pushed amp to achieve the desired effect. The Peach Fuzz sounded a vit like a cross between a fuzz face and a muff. Quite dark with a big bottom. Very nice!!

I also gave the Skreddy Screwdriver and the D*A*M Sonic Titan a twiddle. The pedals were actually quite alike. Very convincing and dynamic overdrive pedals. Perhaps in between OD and distortion. AC/DC and Zep tones were easily achieved with a Les Paul JR. with P90's. Check those beasties out!

Here's a pick of my new beaty at my parents house alongside my old Corganised jap-strat, now in the possession of my little sister. Guess what tunes I'll be playing tonight (tonite)?

[​IMG]

2. mustangman

mustangman Member

wow you actually just walked into a store and bought a mayo!? theres a 4-6 week wait on skreddy's site. do they have any more? and do they have a web site??

3. thebot

thebot Member

www.vintageandrareguitars.com but I just had a look and they didn't have the Mayo on there. They don't always have all their stuff up on the website though.

4. trucks

trucks Member

Very sweet. It must be really nice to walk into a shop that has these on hand (I would have been shocked if you had walked out empty handed!). I would love to hear clips of the Mayo.

I have a Screwdriver on order and lucked into a Zero last night.

5. drolling

drolling Member

You can walk into the very best music store in my town and try - NONE of the pedals you just took for a spin.. And to be able to A/B some of the most desirable stomps around.. Nice.

I'm on a bit of a fuzz kick myself, having spent the last year sorting thru' boost/od/eq type boxes. Sounds like you got a keeper there. Congrats!

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

The place was fantastic! Really friendly staff too, didn't mind me twiddling around at all :dude I was in fuzz heaven!!!

Anyway, they had another Skreddy Mayo there too. It was in the modern colour scheme. Basically an aluminium case with less graphics, just black lettering. My one was hidden away but I asked if they had it with these graphics and they found one in the store. Great!!

I'm going back for more!! Man that Screwdriver was nice too... They had a Top Fuel too BTW.

7. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I still have to add, they had the whole Catalinbread, Zvex, Frantone and HBE range in stock too. I couldn't believe it!!

8. empty71

empty71 Member

How does the Mayo compare to the Screwdriver? I have a Screwdriver on order and should be receiving it soon and I'm gassing for a Mayo.

9. Mojoman

Mojoman Supporting Member

Glad you got to try out a Mayo.
    I am a huge fan of Marc's pedals.
    Right now I have: 1) Mayo #2; 2) Ernie #3; 3) Zero; 4) Mayonaise #11; and 5) "Wall of Sound" Top Fuel on the way.
    All his designs are unique and beautiful.
    I love these pedals. I have been through many fuzzes, especially Big Muff clones, and in my opinion nothing comes close to the Skreddy pedals.
    Although one I have recently picked up is a very versatile and great sounding unit. It is the Da Moaf. Especially for the price, $90 shipped, it sounds great.

10. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

11. empty71

empty71 Member

Tell us more about Da Moaf. Is it another Big Muff clone or something original like the Screwdriver made by Marc?

12. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey empty71,

The Screwdriver is more of a poweramp distortion/OD unit. Really nice for classic rock tones. I really digged that one. It's quite far away from the Mayo sound wise. Quality is the same!

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1. I too would like to know this

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Da Maof has been going on ebay for $149 lately where have you seen them for $90? Heck I can get a skreddy top fuel or mayo for around $160. (I dont mind the wait, but if I can get da moaf for $90 I will jump all over that).

15. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Any one ever try one of these on bass?

I love the recordings of big muff fuzz on bass but when I come to use the current EHX ones I am very disappointed

Cheers

16. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I quite liked the big green russian one for bass. The really heavy one with a weird dome shaped bypass switch.

17. tayste_2000

tayste_2000 Member

Yeah but that wouldn't fall under there current unit's also I'd rather something small like the mayo than an overly large ehx pedal

18. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Congrats on the Mayo TB!

The green Russian version was pretty cool.. I used to have one too, but I had quite different tastes & gear back then. It would be nice to try one out again. Yes, it was really big, pretty bad build quality and not that reliable...

19. VSpaceBoy

VSpaceBoy Member

I just got mine (Mayo) on Monday and I'm lovin' it so far. Its Ultra sensitive compared to my last green BMP. I'm still fiddlin' with it but it sounds awesome.

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Skreddy built something called a "bass mayo" for a guy. It's a prototype, but he'd be willing to sell you one, then tweak it as you desire after trying it out.

I was thinking of gettign this for my bass, then decided on a stock mayo in a loooper with a blend knob