Skreddy Mayo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RickB, Feb 16, 2006.

1. RickB

RickB Member

I thought I would take a minute to discuss the Mayo. I got the pedal this past weekend. I have gotten to spend some time playing through it and I have to say that this pedal blows my mind. I have never really been a BMP enthusiast but based off of how much I love my Top Fuel, I went ahead and ordered up the Mayo from Marc to check it out. Upon plugging it in and turning the knobs, I was blown away. It has an insane amount of gain on tap but does not get harsh or brittle like a lot of fuzzes can. It stays completely organic. The tone knob has to be the most versatile of any pedal I have played. Turn it down and the pedal gets nice and fat and tube-like. Turn it up a bit and it completely cuts through with presence and focus. Very remeniscent of my Tope Fuel without the accentuated mids. There is no bad sound anywhere on the tone knob. This pedal covers so much ground it is scary. It sounds great with other effects thrown in such as a vibe too. Chords sound so huge but remain defined and clear and don't turn into mush. Single note lines cut but come through with a huge sound as well.

I never got to own a Mayonaisse and I hadn't heard any sound clips of the Mayo. I bought it purely based off of the fact that with my Top Fuel and Ernie, what Marc describes the pedal to be is what it ends up being. No inflated hype. Just the facts and Marc delivers on his word. I wasn't sure if this pedal was going to be something that I would use a lot as I never really cared for BMP's or variations of them. This pedal has broken down that barier for me. It now has a permanent place on my board and I can't stop playing it. As with my experience from my other pedals from Marc, the build quality is top notch. You can tell that Marc pours a LOT into his work and doesn't cut corners in any which way. Everything from his wiring to his selection of cool knobs right down to the perfection of the finish is second to none. I wanted one in a different color so I went with a bright yellow. Special orders don't seem to upset Marc. He has done some others that are really sweet. The yellow with the blue LED looks killer. Just give the man adequate time to build and you will get what you ask for and more.

There are a few pedals that I have that I consider to be "the best pedal I have ever played" but each one fills a different purpose. And with most of them, you know up front what you are looking for and what you are getting. The Mayo was not a sound that I was necessarily looking for and I wasn' sure what I was going to get but this one takes the prize as being the biggest surprise from a pedal and for the sheer fun factor in playing it.

I currently have a Screw Driver on order and really look forward to getting it.

Thanks Skreddy. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. empty71

empty71 Member

Hi Rick,

How does the Mayo compare to the Top Fuel? I'll be pulling the trigger on the Top Fuel soon but your post has made me consider the Mayo. I have a Screw Driver and would like another Skreddy pedal to get into high gain territory. I'm presently using a HellBilly to stack into the Screw Driver. I'm very happy with the combo but would like to go all Skreddy. Your comments are appreciated:D

3. ♫▐▀▄▀▌♫

♫▐▀▄▀▌♫ Member

4. trucks

trucks Member

Very nice. I agree that Marc's pedals are extremely special. I have a Zero and just got the Screw Driver. Despite high expectations, I was not prepared for how good the Screw Driver is. In addition to delivering on tone, it has feel. I've experienced this with amps, but I did not expect it from a pedal.

A Mayo is very likely in my future...and perhaps a yellow one.

5. RickB

RickB Member

They are quite different. The Top Fuel is a defined sound and the tone knob basically tunes it rather than drastically affecting the tone. Think David Gilmour on Pulse or The Division Bell. You get that high gain yet clean and clear sound that has accentuated mids which are very glassy and rounded but still cuts through. It is very touch responsive as well. The sound borders on overdrive/distortion more so than fuzz. A good compressor before it will get you even closer to the Gilmour sound from Pulse/Division Bell era.

The Mayo is more versatile IMO. The tone knob on it is drastic. You can turn it to the left and really darken up the sound. Turn it to the right and it is nice and bright but not shrill. Somewhere in between and you get this great mix of a huge sound but a nice midrange that reacts to your playing. It is more open sounding since mids are no accentuated. There is a ton of gain on tap as well.

Each of them serves their own purpose and I will have both of them on my board. For those clean, articulate sounds that make your single notes really punch you in the face, you have the Top Fuel. For when you want a tone that fills a lot of space, you have the Mayo. I am not a Big Muff or Smashing Pumpkins fanatic but I find the Mayo to be so useful. I am more of a Gilmour nut and I find that the Top Fuel gets me right there with nothing else stacked other than mayble a compresson.

I could not pick a winner between the two of there. They are both amazing and both serve their own purpse. They also don't overlap tone wise. Two very different pedals. If you are currently using a HellBilly to get you the higher gain sounds, I would say to go with the Top Fuel. I don't have my Screw Driver yet so I can't compare either of these two to the Screw Driver.

I hope that helped to answer your question. If it didn't feel free to to ask again!

6. empty71

empty71 Member

Hi Rick,

Thank you for your comments. They helped a lot.

I'm presently using the HellBilly for low gain or boost into the Screw Driver for higher gain. I find the tone too fuzzy if I stack the pedals the other way.

I've got a bud who'll take the HellBilly off my hands and I'm looking for replacement. I plan on using the Screw driver for low gain and another Skreddy replacement for my high gain needs. That's why I'm leaning toward the Top Fuel. I love the sound clips.

Do you stack your Skreddy pedals together? If you do, what are your favourite combos?

I've e-mailed Marc several times about his pedals and have a rough idea how his pedals differ but another perspective's always helpful:)

7. RickB

RickB Member

Nope. I don't stack the Skreddy's that I have (Top Fuel, Ernie and Mayo). They all have too much gain to be stacking and quite frankly, don't need to be stacked! I plan on using my Screw Driver when I get it for lower gain stuff as well.

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow,

That's sweet man! I plan on getting both the Top Fuel and the Screwdriver to compliment my Mayo. I liked the custom Pink Floyd paint job on one of the Top Fuel's is saw some TGP'er have. I think it was the Wall of Sound or something. Might go with something like that... I love Skreddy Pedals! Wonder if I should get the bumper sticker??

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 use the screwdriver for low/med gain (depending on pick attack) and top fuel for higher gain!

10. empty71

empty71 Member

You guys convinced me on the Screw Driver / Top Fuel combo:)

I got the dough for my HellBilly and will be pulling the trigger on the Top Fuel by this weekend. I definitely see a Mayo in my future and I hope Marc doesn't run out of parts soon:jo

11. empty71

empty71 Member

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, I pulled the trigger on the Top Fuel:dude

12. morgan

morgan Guest

I have one of the original bigger box mayos (#6 I think) and I just love that thing. It's so rich, very dense, but still fairly articulate. It sounds unbelievable recorded, and the vol range lets you dial in a little extra so it doesn't get lost in the mix in a live setting. Fantastic pedal.

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

How did you get it in yellow? On his site it looks like plain or red graphic are the choices. Smeagol like yellow. :)
    Greg

14. RickB

RickB Member

Just email him and ask him what colors he has available. I just asked him if he could do it in yellow and he said no problem. He'll do pretty much anything you ask in terms of colors or logos. There might be some extra $ involved if he needs to go above and beyond what he has on hand but it is totally worth it to get a unique pedal. Marc is nothing but super cool to deal with.

15. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

16. Coach

Coach Senior Member

how do you order one?

17. RickB

RickB Member

No prob!

18. RickB

RickB Member

www.skreddypedals.com Marc's email info is right on the front page.