Skreddy P19

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rage, Jan 27, 2012.

1. rayza

rayza Member

because many people on TGP believe that if they own anything with more than a 2 week waiting list, it's value MUST be atleast 20% more than they paid if they want to sell it, so discontinued pedals must be worth.................

2. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

I love my Pig Mine...a bit noisy and high gain for sure. I love it !! Not thrilled with the new P19 graphic (looks a bit cornish?), but I'm sure it will be another fine box of fuzz action !

3. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Because every other Skreddy pedal that's been discontinued has gone way up in price.

4. zerorez

zerorez Member

Cool!, Marc can you please let us know how the name P19 was choosen for this pedal? Thanks

:beer

5. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

P19 looks a lot like Pig if you ask me...

InAbsentia likes this.
  6. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

It's Pig with an upside down G hidden in the 9.

7. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

8. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Lotsa pondering went into it; and in the end, a random trick of the eye.

It does look rather "Cornish" on purpose (though not an outright copy in any way). It's inspired by the P1 and P2, though in the end it has very few part types or part values in common (different transistors, mostly different resistors, mostly different coupling capacitors, different tone stack, etc.). I think I had the same basic goal in mind, but I tuned it to my own ears and preferences.

I was struggling to find a generic sort of name that didn't make any Pink Floyd references at all. My first choice was "Standard Fuzz;" but I realized that was completely taken already. One day I wondered whether or not Pete Cornish was thinking of the word "pi" when he named the P1. So I was going to use "P13" as in "PIE." But, in a PM conversation with my buddy Adam one day, my tired eyes tricked me into reading that as "P19" which spells "pig," and I knew that was my name. I get to make an homage to the Pig Mine, which this pedal is replacing, and at the same time keep it generic and cryptic.

The stencil over brushed aluminum is a nice military-aircraft look, which totally fits the "soaring" theme.

9. Zero G

Zero G Member

This.

10. zerorez

zerorez Member

Thanks Marc, just sent a deposit for the P19 :bow

11. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Putting a Pig Mine up against a Mayo, Pink Flesh or an Ernie is NO comparison! Not even close. I seen that video on Youtube comparing the PM to a PF trying show the similarities. No way these two sound alike. Not in real life anyways. I put them against each other one night and the PF was so much more robust and rounder. The Ernie was a sweet ass pedal too! I wish I hadnt sold mine. I needed the money at the time.

12. zerorez

zerorez Member

I always felt the Pig Mine was really well designed and sounded fantastic as compared to other current or retired Skreddy pedals, using the non-mojo transistors which was Marc's design goal when the pedal was released. :aok

13. Don't Post

Don't Post Member

:huh

14. zerorez

zerorez Member

I always enjoy Marc's creativity and innovation to expanding on the BMP circuit, when it comes to fuzz in general the Big Muff Pi is my preference over a tonebender or fuzz face type of circuit! :dude

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Haha! I see your point! Guess I got a little carried away. hehe! Just meant that I dont think the Pig Mine will go up in value like the Mayo, PF or Ernie. These three pedals are hard to get trannies for these days.

:bonk

16. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

My point is that ebay prices are based on scarcity/rarity/OOP stuff. I don't think the PM will hit Mayo prices, but I'll bet in a year they'll be twice what Marc sold them for.

Don't forget: a Skreddy Dual Loop commands high prices! Are they THAT much better than any other one on the market?

17. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The transistors for the Pig Mine are out of production now as well.

18. zerorez

zerorez Member

What are the retired Pig Mine transistors, I never opened mine up to look? :dunno

19. BrianPhase90

BrianPhase90 Member

Fairchild BC183c's

20. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

BC184C (there are more left in stock at Mouser, but they are discontinued) + BC183C (there are no more left at Mouser)