Skreddy P19

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rage, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Rage

Rage Member

2. BrianPhase90

BrianPhase90 Member

Fellow electrician?

3. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Lol!! No, actually Im a Pipefitter. I was speaking Tube Bender theorey.

:stir

4. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

Here are a few clips.

Some chords and riffs. This the just the P19 into the amps.
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/music/P19%20DEMO_chords_riffs.mp3

Marc said he really liked the sound of this when playing Pink Floyd's Mother solo, so here is just the P19 with a bit of delay.
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/music/MOTHER SOLO P19_NOVA DELAY_REEVES C50_TWIN REVERB 1.mp3

Same solo with a Boss CE-2, slight blend with a BKB Tube Driver, and TC Nova delay.
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/music/MO...END_CE2_NOVA DELAY_REEVES C50_TWIN REVERB.mp3

Those are with the mids switch set to flat and the tone around 10:30, although I think I had it more around 12:00 for the first clip. Strat into a Fender Twin Reverb and Hiwatt Custom 50 (Reeves).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Kit! Nice to finally hwre some clips!

6. Zeon45

Zeon45 Member

Great demo clips Kit. Wish I could play that well. I got my P19 last week and I'm really diggin' it so far. I think it will go down as another great Skreddy classic. It has great note definition and is much smoother than the Pig Mine. Love it.!!

7. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

I don't know if I would call it smoother than the PM. I thought the PM was rather smooth, but the lower gain distortion of the P19 does give it more of that creamy sound for leads. Still, there is plenty of distortion here if you want it.

I played it side by side with the Cornish P-1 and P-2 Big Muffs briefly, to see how it compared. Not much similarity to the P-1, as that is more of a straight up Ram's head Big Muff sound with very scooped mids. The P19 does have a mid range similar to the P-2. Both Cornish pedals have much more bottom end than the P19, with the P-2 having the most.

The P19 is sort of in between a typical Ram's Head tone and the mids and articulation part of a Sovtek Big Muff, but with much less bottom end than either, so it sounds tighter on low notes. It still has that smooth, compressed distortion tone like the Pig Mine, but not as bright and middy, and with a bit more low end. I like it.

8. rayza

rayza Member

this may seem like a silly question, but how does the P19 compare with the lunar module for amount of gain? i have a LM but I've never heard in person or played a Pig mine. I was looking for some sort of muff variant and i have pre ordered a P19.

9. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Holy **** Kit! Pumpkins/White Stripes/Sabbath/Nirvana in one super clip.

Sounds like it still has a lot of grit and has a real vocal quality which i love. Does it still have a bit of that 'thump' in the bass if you need it?

How well does it clean up?

Thanks

10. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

I specifically tightened up the bass to emulate the recorded examples I was trying to nail (The Wall in other words). Which is why it doesn't do the muffier type Big Muff tones as well as the clear, articulate ones.

Big Muffs aren't ace at guitar-volume-knob cleanup; more like turn it on and use it, turn it off when you don't want dirt. They generally darken up a bit when you do use the guitar volume, but of course there is some clean-up available if that's how you prefer to use it.

11. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

Sounds good! My pig mine I uses to have cleaned up really well. Not in a classic fuzz face sense, but you could get e really fat useable tone from it.

12. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

i got my invoice last week and i will be paying for the rest of it with my birthday money, i can't wait. a new skreddy always generates excitement around these parts...

13. ciclosonico

ciclosonico Member

I got mine since a few days: I LOVE it!!!!!
    I took it onstage for a gig, and it easily cut throught the mix, with a great singing tone!
    I've never tried a PigMine, but I like the low-gain zone of this pedal, it's dynamic and very usable.
    CaptainAwesome and KitRae have said it all.
    I would add that the P19 can really play any chord at full gain, still maintain clarity and legibility.
    I recorded a video, but because of a wrong placement of the microphone (sorry, I'm an idiot!), the final captured sound was boxy, whereas in reality it was a blast! :)
    New clips on the way, stay tuned!!!
    Ciao

14. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

I was asked what it sounded like with an Electric Mistress for some of those Wall tones, so here goes...
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/music/YOUNG LUST SOLO_P19_HARTMAN FLANGER_full in mix.mp3

I was also asked on another forum for clips comparing the P19 to the Cornish Big Muffs. Here is the P19 vs the P2. In each clip the P19 is first. Very similar tone and mid range, with the fatter, looser lows on the Cornish being the main difference.
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/music/P19 VS P2 Demo_P19 first.mp3

And the P19, Cornish P2, and P1 comparison. In that order. Hard to tell the differences on the low notes unless you play it loud.
    http://www.bigmuffpage.com/music/P19 VS P1 AND P2_In The Flesh 1.mp3

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  15. zestystrat

zestystrat Member

Dig the YL clip Kit.

I just picked one up off the Emp.

We'll see how well it work with my Strat (LsL) > vintage Fenders

16. PerFusionist

PerFusionist Supporting Member

Kit, I was only able to open clip 3, but it sounded really good! Really gave those Cornish pedals a run for their money :)

Can you share what settings you were using on the P19, please. Was the mids switch was flipped to "hump"?

17. Kit Rae

Kit Rae Member

I copied the links again. Try them now.

The tone is set around 10:00 and the sustain around 3:00.

The mids switch is set to normal/flat in all clips above. There was plenty of mid range through my amps, so no need to bump it up. Sounds great either way though. In my case, I love the deeply scooped Big Muffs, so Marc could have done the opposite and had the switch go from flat to even more scooped. The the flat position has a really good balance though, but if you are forced to play at low volumes or through a little practice amp, it helps to boost the mids.

18. Flight1311

Flight1311 Member

19. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

Based on these clips, I'd take the P2!

Seriously though, the P19 is a good sounding pedal and no where near the price of Cornish admission, which is all good. Not sure how everything was EQ'ed in the clips, but to my ears the P19 could use a touch more bass and a bit less/smoother treble. An extra switch position to go a bit more scooped would be icing on the cake.

20. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

:stir
    I can always build one bassier for you if you want. I intentionally dialed in the bass so to my ear it wasn't really cutting nor adding any compared to bypass, which required a slightly smaller input cap, as a Big Muff usually does add bass (and the tones I was targeting are not bassy). And a regular scooped-mids tone stack with flat mids on the switch is do-able too. As for less/smoother treble, that's pretty much a function of the tone knob (and turning down the sustain makes the high end less aggressive too).