Skreddy Pink Flesh...anything else like it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stratman76, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

The Skreddy Pink Flesh is now gone and scarce to begin with.
    Is there anything else like it?

It would probably be based on a Big Muff circuit, but smoother and more defined than a typical Muff.

It would remind you of Gilmour's Wall tone...

2. mild

mild Member

I am hearing good things about the Diceworks Muff Diver... supposed to be the best Triangle Muff clone out there according to the copious threads on the subject. :)

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

From what I've READ, not heard, the DAM Ram Head I guess is kinda close, but still different.

Keep your eyes out for a used one is your best bet.

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

I sold mine because I preferred the Landgraff MO'D, as well as the Keeley modded Rat. Both sounded thicker, smoother - yet could also be dialed to sound just as aggressive.

Which part of this demo clip were you shooting for? I might be able to recommend something based on what you want to hear.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5482763

5. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

BYOC Large Beaver, Ram Head. It's close, but doesnt have the buffers and such of a Skreddy. It does have a switch to do standard, flat mids, and boosted mids tho. (As well as a "No Tone Circuit" mode that can break your ears ;)

Pretty impressed with the thing so far. Doesnt sound exactly like my real Ram Head. The real one has more harmonics... but tonally it is pretty darned close.

-ZP

6. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Lou, first off, I want to THANK YOU for all the quality clips! I bought a Lovekraft Mojodrive because I liked your Mojo clip as much as the (fairly unobtanium) Landgraff M'OD clip (tone is definitely subjective!). I've tried the Keeley Rat. It's a great value but didn't hit Gilmour Wall-era territory for me. Clip-wise, the Pink Flesh does- it's like Gilmour "Wall-in-a-box." BTW- I heard more of that in the first part of your clip.

This vid is really poorly recorded but the "Wall-essence" is definitely there. The cat used a Tele into a Pink Flesh and an EHX DMM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UuiKsN6Zdw

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Now having both the D*A*M Ram Head on the board and the Pink Flesh, I think the Ram Head = the Wall. I mean, it's frightening. And A/B'd directly with the Pink Flesh, the PF does not sound like the Wall. It's creepy! The Ram just has that bite and hollow smoothness (from the scooped mids) that the PF has purposefully removed to make for a more balanced and versatile fuzz.

I can safely state that you aren't going to get the studio album Wall type Muff tones from a PF. Which is not a problem, because the PF covers the DSOT and Pulse tones!! I always thought that that was more of a Top Fuel thing, but last night I was A/B-ing the Ram and PF for about an hour or so along with some Floyd and Gilmour albums, and the Ram does Animals, The Wall, Final Cut... the PF does DSOT, Pulse, and higher gain stuff on Remember that Night where DG has a less biting, more smooth yet still fuzzy tone.

-Ben

8. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

Ben,

Thank you! I've read many of your posts and believe you are one the most valued contributors here (Lou V as well). Are you preferring single coils or hotter humbuckers to drive the D*A*M box (which was on my list!)? Or does it matter much? It's obvious the D*A*M builder is one of the authorities on fuzz boxes (the cat is INTO it!).

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Glad to help Stratman. I listened to that youtube clip and it def sounds closer.

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Thanks for the kind words, I try and help when I can :AOK. And yes, Lou V is a wealth of knowledge for sure - I'm with you on that!

I'd say with my original D*A*M Ram Head, which was something like #9, it actually preferred single coils. Could get a little muddy with humbuckers. With subsequent Ram Heads, that is no longer an issue. I had a friend come over the other day to sample some of the boxes on my board and that little Ram Head was really impressive. With my G&L S-500 w/ Kinmans, it totally got that Gilmour sound from Animals / Wall / Final Cut. With my Les Paul (w/ SD '59s), it was pure "stoner rock". We were joking afterward about how one simple box was able to not just approximate but nail certain tones that you'd normally think were worlds apart.

So do I prefer singles or hums into the Ram? Just depends on the application. The newer Rams (even #27 that I had which was a large box) have great clarity regardless of the pickup type going into them.

And if you want more mids, thickness, and smoothed / polished high end and somewhat softer attack, the Pink Flesh is a fantastic pedal also.

P.S. - I just took a look at that video you posted as well of the person with the PF. Sounds great, although I know it's recorded with a crappy mic! But you can hear the smoothness and the thickness... more like DG live. Listen to that YouTube clip again, then immediately play the studio version of "In The Flesh?" from The Wall... you'll hear the difference. Gilmour's fuzz tone there is more biting, slightly scooped and hollow, and not as thick. More like the Ram Head. Exactly like the Ram Head ;)

-Ben

11. Stratman76

Stratman76 Member

I think I would be happy with either a Pink Flesh or a D*A*M Ram Head but they seem to be equally scarce.

12. Dale

Dale Member

Top Fuel is very close.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

'Tis the bitter truth.
    Although, last week or the week before, there were 2 Ram Heads on eBay, and one on the TGP Emporium. And the Pink Flesh rears its head from time to time as well. Just keep a watchful eye and a full wallet ;)

-Ben

14. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Supporting Member

Do these Muff clones clean up as you decrease the volume like a fuzz pedal does?

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Muffs are fuzz pedals. I think you may mean, "like a Fuzz-Face style pedal does?". In that case, no. Muff-style fuzzes do not clean up in the same manner. I mean, they clean up to a degree, but you're often left with a sort of muted tone, as if you rolled the tone knob back on your guitar 1/2-way. Best to just leave the volume on your guit full up, set the Muff of choice to a medium gain level, then boost the input for a gain increase if needed.

-Ben

16. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Supporting Member

Ahh, good to know. I have a Pink Flesh on the way and am just curious about that. Love the gilmour big muff tone but also love the way my silicon fuzz cleans up as i roll back the volume.

grazie

FYI, here's a page from Gilmourish.com dealing with various muffs

might be of help to the original poster of this thread

http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=213

17. gregovertone

gregovertone Member

i've heard both of the pink flesh, and dam rams head....

the pink flesh blew it away. one of the best muff's ive heard, and far more rams heady than the dam.

at least in comparison to the vintage rams head i've got at laying around.

18. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I've only had the pleasure of playing through two vintage Ram's Head Muffs (didn't own them though), and thought the DAM is much closer than the PF. Considering that the DAM Ram Head is more of a clone and the PF isn't, my results aren't surprising. I just didn't hear the thickness, compression, and high-end rolloff in the vintage Ram that I hear in the PF. The orig. was a little thicker and a touch fartier in the low end than the DAM, but it was a lot closer to the DAM than the PF! The PF reminds me of what Gilmour might do to a vintage Ram, adding compression and EQ to it to get that smoother live tone - less harsh with more mids than a standalone vintage Ram.

That said, in the past I've sold the DAM Ram Head in favor of the PF because I feel that because of its qualities, it can be more versatile and perform better in a live context. But in terms of authentic Ram tones, I really thought even then that it was no contest - the DAM is "damn" close to the sound of the vintage Ram's Head.

Anyway, this just goes to show you how experience can vary ;) . Greg - not denying what you've heard, and perhaps it's just my rig or a number of other factors, but I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on the issue.

20. Emiel

Emiel Member

I used to have a DAM Ramhead and now I own the original. From what I remember the DAM is more agressive and has more treble while the original Ram's Head has enormous amounts of power, sounds incredibly fat and has a smooth edge. Together with my non-Deluxe Electric Mistress, it's the fattest tone I've ever heard :).

You guys must remember the Pink Flesh is like two pedals in a box, the Big Muff and a booster. I think 'normal' Muffs need an EQ or modulation effect to sound at it's best. David Gilmour always had a booster or EQ after his Ram's Head Muff (1977-1983)...

If you want to go for that vintage sound, get an original (I paid $80 for a mint here in the Netherlands :D) or go or the quite expensive DAM Ramhead clone. If you want a more versatile Big Muff sounding pedal, have a look at the Pink Flesh.

But there are other options like the BYOC Large Beaver. If I had to choose I would get one of those. I don't just can't think why you would pay so much for a Pink Flesh or DAM Ramhead...