Skreddy Screw Driver users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock72, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I bought one just a short time ago. It is a very nice pedal. Even though I haven't played it that much, so far I seem to like it a bit more with single-coils than humbuckers. With humbuckers it sounds a bit 'fuzzy' on the low e-string (PRS Cu22 through an EL-84 amp), but that may just be the character of the pedal.

What is your preferences for this pedal? Do you think it works better with one or the other?

2. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I had one for a few months. I've actually had two, come to think of it. I really liked the pedal, and found it to be very unique sounding. A real original circuit. That said, I enjoyed it mainly w/ SC-equipped guitars. I played it w/ my friends LP for a few hours once, and really didn't like it. I found that it "suffered" from the same symptoms as yours did w/ the HB guitar. I might pick one up again sometimes, as I feel my use for one now is more present than it was when I had it.

3. erksin

erksin Member

Use that Pre Gain trim pot control on the right side - its purpose is to dial it in for different pickups...

4. geetarman

geetarman Member

Yep I agree turn the pre gain down to adjust for hotter pups.

5. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Sounds like pure Jimmy Page with my LP. Minus the talent.

Through my Sewell Texaverb, it's my favorite OD, period. And I love it equally with the LP and the Strat.

Definitely make use of those trim pots. and watch the gain levels. It can certainly show more of its fuzz character with the gain up and using HBs.

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks guys, the trim pot surely made a difference. I agree with Markom89 in that it is a unique sounding pedal. I also used the EQ on the amp more to shape the sound and got AWESOME tones out of it.

Now I just have to figure out which pedal is leaving my pedalboard to make space for it :D

7. sandman

sandman Member

Does it cut well?

Some clips sound a bit too 'woofy'...

Isn't one of the tone controls pre gain bass control (a la Tim?)...?

If it is I'm all over it.

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I am certainly not very knowledgable about technicalities, but according to Mark and the user manual for the Screw Driver,

"The Sharpness control dials in the amount of bass going into the distortion section, for everything from thin, twangy treble-boost to midrange grit to thick, fuzzy breakup",

so I assume it is similar to the Tim. I also have the Tim and it worked really well together with the Screw Driver.

I haven't played around with the brilliance setting yet, accesible through a hole on the left side of the pedal, so I can't say what that one does (except from what's stated in the manual). When I first tested the pedal, I did it through a Cornell Romany+, which I guess is very Fenderish, and it was a good match. Getting home I ran it through both a Budda Superdrive and Lonestar Special. Both great. With the Lonestar Special, using the amps EQ section was to me instrumental in getting the better out of the pedal (again something which seems to be the 'hallmark' of Mesa amplifiers...tweaking...tweaking...tweaking).

Overall I think the Skreddy is a great great pedal. I will put it up against my Eternity Burst today and see how they work together.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Lots of cut from the SD - I think many of the clips out there don't do it justice.

Its not a plug and play pedal - you have to do some set up work to dial it in first. I borrowed one recently and put it up against my DR w/C, CoT50 Red, and Crispy Cream and it totally hangs with all of them. I liked it so much that I ordered one for myself.

10. sandman

sandman Member

Thanks.
    I wasn't implying it's the same, just thought it maybe works in similar way.

11. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Didn't think so either :)..your Q actually made me look, so now I know it too :AOK

12. Sid

Sid Member

ok...is it only me that likes the fuzzy nature on the high strings and definition on the lower strings......:Dtired of ODs that couldnt do that

13. sandman

sandman Member

:AOK

please report if you get to fiddle with it...

14. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yes, you can make it woofy, and you can make it sharp and cutting. Usually folks end up setting it up so that it somewhat mimics the eq of a TS-style pedal, but it'll go all over the map between early DEVO twang and monster fuzz/sludge. :) Also I recently made a clip to show its clean bass response:

http://skreddypedals.com/circuits/ScrewDriver/clips/CleanBoost.mp3
    Strat, neck pickup -> Screw Driver -> Ampeg V4 -> Audix i5 mic -> sound card
    First I play an E chord bypassed,
    Then the same chord with the Screw Driver in a typical distorted mode (gain ~2:00 o'clock, sharpness ~1:00 o'clock, volume ~unity gain)
    Then I turn the gain down and play the chord again
    Then I turn the volume up and play the chord again
    Then I turn the sharpness almost all the way down and play the chord again to demonstrate the full, undistorted bass response with a neck pickup

(not intended as a "musical" clip--simply a utilitarian clip to demonstrate the ample bass response and clean boost capabilities. There are plenty of "musical" clips out there too to show off its cutting nature, like this low-gain bluesy clip: http://skreddypedals.com/circuits/ScrewDriver/clips/LoGainBluesy.mp3)

15. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Nice clip, Marc.

This morning I was using my Screw Driver to boost my new Top Fuel and was loving the sounds I was getting.

Screw Driver: Volume-12:00, Gain-9:00, Tone-12:00
    Top Fuel: Sustain-8:00 or so, Tone-11:30, Volume-to taste

Also, I sometimes like to embrace the fuzzy elements of the SD by diming the gain and turning the tone fully CCW. Love that sound.

16. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Good clip Marc, is the settings accesible on the sides of the pedal set at "factory settings"??

17. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I'm thinking about making a clip of that tone. Also I recently discovered that I can nail the Steve Jones/Sex Pistols tone with it too; 'nother good clip waiting to happen. In case y'all couldn't tell, I'm a crappy guitar player but I'm in love with "tones." I've been guilty of listening to amp and effect clips as if they were songs just 'cause I loved the tones.

18. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yeah, on that "Clean Boost" clip they were. The bluesy clip, I think you'd probably want to boost the pregain trimpot a bit to get that hot, biting tone.

19. James V

James V Member

I actually have a Skreddy Screwdriver in the mail. It is in transit. It was suppose to arrive today, but it has not. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I read the reviews and listened to the clips. I am excited to test it out. I will write a review as soon as I get it.

20. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hi James,
    I've only had mine for a short time, but do get a lot of useful sounds out of it. It is different than many of my other OD's, so it complements them well. Look forward to reading your review!!

Christian