Skreddy Screw Driver versus Throbak Overdrive Boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by todd richman, Feb 26, 2008.

1. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

I know from past info provided by Marc at Skreddy that the Screw Driver is based, in part, on the old Univox Uni-Drive. The Throbak is obviously based on the Colorsound Overdriver. Both of the originals were transistor based (silicon) OD's that really hit the amp hard-neither of the originals had master volume controls. Has anyone compared both of these pedals. Hopefully Marc and Jon will chime in here also. I have owned and played D*A*M's custom shop recreations of the Uni-Drive and Colorsound as well as the Pro Analog Power Driver. All great. I would love to find something similar in a smaller footprint pedal like the SD or ODB.

2. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

If I claimed any relation to the Uni-Drive, I must've been confused. What I meant to say or what I must've actually said unless I was mistaken was that...

---pant, pant... that was a wordy introduction--

...the Screw Driver does bear some resemblance, in retrospect, to the Colorsound Overdriver. It wasn't designed with that in mind, though. The whole project was more an organic process of me combining the Fuzz Face and Rangemaster circuits together into one overdrive pedal (that will go from clean boost to fuzz), along with all the requisite tweaks and tricks and preferences/ways of doing things I've accumulated over the years.

3. rewog

rewog Member

I haven't tried the Throbak, but I do have a Pro Analog Power Driver... another Overdriver based pedal.

IMO - the Power Driver does it's best work pushing a tube amp that's already workin'. It's not a very authentic sound into a clean amp. It also works well pushing certain other pedals.

The Screw Driver has it's own thing goin' on, and can give great sounds into a clean amp.

4. erksin

erksin Member

The DR w/C is very much the same way - definitely needs to be hitting a cooking amp or stacked into another pedal to sound it's best.

Into a cleaner amp, the Skreddy totally stands on it's own.

5. Dave

Dave Member

I have a Screw Driver and I had a ThroBak Overdrive Boost. Both great pedals. The ThroBak has a little more of a buzzy silicon fuzz sound to it, although it can be switched to germanium which is cool. The Screw Driver is more of an OD/distortion that can sound like a fuzz if you want it to. It's got a fuller midrange than the ThroBak for sure. I found it more tweakable and useful than the ThroBak. Again, both great pedals and they're different enough that I wouldn't consider one a replacement for the other.

6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

This makes me very happy.

7. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I own the throbak, and just ordered the screw driver. Anybody else compare these two and if so, which one did you keep?

Also, where and when would you use one over the other.

8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Maybe not as an overdrive, but with the gain cranked up into fuzz territory, it sounds awesome through a clean amp.

9. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

+1

The Screw Driver also sounds great into an already cooking amp. Obviously the settings will be different. Definitely the most flexible OD/Dist/Fuzz pedal I have played. It sounds killer through every amp I have tried. It's not guitar or pedal chain picky and the bypass is great. Truly a very unique and great sounding pedal IMO.

<M