Skreddy Screwdriver - Cleanup + compare to Sunface?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 4nd3h, Jan 22, 2012.

1. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

How is the general volume knob and playing dynamic cleanup with the SD? Does it do the Fuzzface turn-your-volume-down-to-9-and-it-cleans-right-up kind of thing, or is it more gradual?

How does the Screwdriver compare to the Sunface from Analogman? I just got my Sunface in, and I'm loving it, but I think I want an overdrive kind of pedal to go with it. Do they overlap at all? How is the Screwdriver's gain range in comparison to the Sunface's, does it get any higher gain? Does anybody run both? My SF is a TI/UK, btw.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. rambleon223

rambleon223 Member

I have both a SD Deluxe and an Analogman TI/UK sunface. I've heard people say the Screwdriver is like a FF turned back to overdrive levels of gain and I think that is probably pretty accurate. The Screwdriver is an incredibly versatile overdrive with a higher degree of control of the overall gain and feel than the Sunface, but it can't quite do the all out fuzz cranked, volume to 10 sound. In my opinion there is plenty of room for both.

I love the Sunface, and if I were going to take just one pedal to play through an already breaking up amp it would be it (or maybe the Lunar Module). Since I usually play through a cleaner amp I set the Screwdriver up as mid-gain and then hit it with the LM or SF with the volume up and the gain/fuzz backed off a bit. Set that way I use the SD for more of rhythm sound and boost it with the fuzz for heaver rhythm, or use just the LM/SF as a lead sound when I'm playing cleaner rhythm parts and want some juice for a lead.

(I don't have the Lunar Module and Sunface hooked up at the same time, I pick one or the other to fill the role of dirty fuzz boost.)

3. amphead777

amphead777 Member

In my experience it's not even close. The Sunface is the king of cleanup!! Screwdriver not so much.

4. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

The Screw Driver will darken somewhat as it gradually cleans up with the volume knob.

It is designed (as rambleon223 said) to emulate the clean/breakup of a FF with the guitar volume rolled back already, without needing to roll back the guitar's volume. It can get all the way clean as it is, without any guitar volume rollback; and I designed it to be a reliable, reproducible tone you simply stomp without worrying about any interactions with external devices (including the guitar's volume knob or other pedals in the chain).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  5. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

I don't feel the Screwdriver cleans up nearly as well as my Sunface NKt275. The SD is very much like the SF with the volume knob back. The SD never gets quite as wooly/gainy as the SF and has more midrange bite, but can be set to sound very similar to the SF does at various spots on the guitar volume knob.

The SD is a great pedal with more midrange cut than the SF. It is more flexible in how you can shape the texture, but less flexible in cleaning up via the guitar volume knob. Oh and, the SD works with any pedal in front or back, which is a major plus.

6. Guitarbrett

Guitarbrett Supporting Member

Carefully read this. It is a spot on description. Initially, I was put off by how it cleaned up differently than the Sunface. However, I love it now due to it's stronger mids, warm character, and ability to play nice with all other pedals (phaser, wah, delay, etc.)

7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Pfft! What does that guy know?

8. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I don't think a Screwdriver's cleanup ability is as drastic as a fuzz face can be. But it does cleanup some.

There's a few things I prefer and love about the Screwdriver in comparison to a fuzz face though. Firstly the Screwdriver is consistent and easy to dial in more than one good tone quickly. A fuzz face, I typically have to set the gain to on or near full. Rarely do I like the tones of a fuzz face with the gain knob less than near full. Though there are some days I find tones I like with the gain less than full...just very inconsistent. The Screwdriver gain sounds great anywhere on its dial. I often struggle with humbuckers into a fuzz face and loses some of its cleanup ability. But the Screwdriver works well with humbuckers.

9. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Screwdriver cleanup is more of a function of picking dynamics than gutar volume. While it does clean up with guitar volume, the most dramatic results, much like the KOT, are had from varied pick attack. Lunar Module may be a more apt comparison.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

love 'em both.
    screwdriver is my main drive these days.

11. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

:agree

Perfectly said!

12. teleclem

teleclem Member

This. (I owned both at the same time)

13. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

I'm struggling with my Sunface NKT. There's too much of a difference between gtr vol at 10 vs at 9. Pairing it with my Beano Boost gives an interesting, old school sound; which is also very limiting. I'm guessing these 2 pedals just don't partner well with my Classic30 amp.

For now I prefer using my Screwdriver, as it partners well with most other pedals. As others have said, while it may not clean up as well as a Sunface, this is more than compensated for via dynamics and pick attack. Except that it doesn' do full on fuzz, it is an infinitely more versatile pedal for my needs.

14. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Thanks for the info, guys!! Now to sell my Blunderbuss and Fix'd Fuzzes ;)

15. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Hmmm... bump.

16. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

+1

I like the Astro-Tone for that reason as well.