Skreddy Screwdriver owners (past and present).......

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Garygtr, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Are you still loving your Screwdriver? If you sold it, any particular reason? I'm toying with getting one for my rig, I'm playing a tele into a Top Hat Club Royale that loves transistor based pedals more than op amp (although it loves my Eternity). I'm looking for a low to medium gain pedal that I can use alone or stacked with the Eternity and my Throbak OD Boost. One fear is that the Screwdriver may be redundant with the OD Boost (Colorsound OD based) already on board....:crazy

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Gary, I remember reading something from Mark(Mr. Skreddy) that the Screwdriver is loosely based on the Univox Uni-Drive. I already have a dead-on replica of that pedal from D*A*M but I also have a dead-on replica of the Colorsound Overdriver from D*A*M. I do not think it would be redundant as you could run the OD Boost with more gain-that spot where the gain knob almost sounds like a powerful silicon fuzz and then use the Screwdriver for more of a boost with grit-I am trying to set up my 2 D*A*M replicas that way. A lot of guys love the ODBoost for that ability to go into a much gainier almost fuzz but amplike tone.

3. carltonh

carltonh Member

I have the ODB. I think the Skreddy is likely even tighter in the bass response than the ODB with the ODB's pre-gain limited at equal levels of gain. When I have the ODB's pre-gain limited, it doesn't get as high gain as I think the Screwdriver gets.

That said, I haven't messed with my ODB's pre-gain trimmer, but I think they only overlap a little bit... but it is in their low to medium-low gain settings that I think they will overlap quite a bit.

So if you want a low to medium gain pedal that will be noticeably different ... MI Audio Blues Pro or Blue Boy Deluxe, Barber LTD, Small Fry, or Tone Pump EQ, Tim/Timmy, Zendrive, Klon, Menatone Red Snapper or Blue Collar, Digitech Bad Monkey, Keeley SD-1 or various modded tubescreamers, most Pro Analog pedals, etc. You've got tons of options.

4. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

MI Audio Blues Pro! One of my favorite low-med OD pedals. It also has a toggle for a more "fuzz-like" OD. Very cool, very unique. It also works well with any boost or a high-gain type pedal. It can be very dirty...lots of gain availble.

I was looking at the screwdriver until I saw this pedal. Shreddy makes killer pedals, but the MI Blues Pro fit the budget!

Should work great with the CR as well!

By the way...Tele + Top Hat CR = awesome tone! :dude

5. erksin

erksin Member

I had a Screw Driver, but sold it - couldn't ever get the Brilliance pot set to where I liked the pedal (LOTS of tweaking - I finally gave up). A comparable box IMO is a Hellbilly - similar, but I liked the voicing MUCH better (should not have sold that one!)...

Having said that, I replaced both with a CoT50 Red and I'm VERY happy with it - I bet it might sound really cool pushing the ODB...

6. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

The brilliance pot is a pretty powerful control. (However, I think serial #2, was less so than the current model, so if anybody has that one, feel free to send it back for a mod if you like). I generally only tweek it a TINY bit when adjusting, and I set them either exactly at 1/2 or just a touch higher when I send them out. Also, keep in mind that the input of the Screw Driver is set up as a treble booster, for maximum articulation. If you want a creamy, dark, extra-smooth, legato response, you will have a hard time with it. It will always try to produce a sharp, snappy, biting attack.

There is quite a bit of bass output available in the Screw Driver. The sharpness and gain controls are very interactive (intentionally so), such that you can acheive fuzzier tones with the sharpness down and the gain up. But when using it at low gain, the bass will pass through the pedal undistorted and give you a great deal of "whomp" to the amp if you have the sharpness turned down low. Some old-style amps don't like this, and will produce a fizzy, intermodulated distortion as a result.

I'd say if you have a modern amp or a Marshall of any kind or a clean or high-powered amp, you should have no problem at all getting a Screw Driver to sound awesome. If you have a early vintage Fender or Vox, probably something with a mid hump would be more compatible. The Screw Driver has a pretty open frequency response, and some amps don't like that. Also, the Screw Driver doesn't try to be transparent. It really colors your signal to sound like a distorted old amp. If you're playing it through a distorted old amp, this is not necessarily a good thing. :) In that case, you would want something with less coloration that pushes the midrange.

The Screw Driver's circuitry is not (exactly) like any vintage effect; it has high input impedance, for example. It's got a very dynamic response, but it's not like those pedals that clean up with the volume knob of the guitar. It cleans up when you pick softer; no volume-knob adjustment needed. That is just to say that it may have some tonal similarities to vintage effects, but it's not a clone or a duplicate. Another example: it does stack well with others, and it doesn't change its character depending on where in the chain you put it like some vintage effects are known to do.

--Marc Ahlfs, owner of Skreddy Pedals

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

What a great response Mark-thank you!
    For the record, my Top Hat prefers open-sounding pedals over TS types with a mid hump. In order for it to work with the Eternity, I have to clear out some of the low mids and brighten up the clean sound a bit (which I like anyway). Once I have done that, it sounds great….
    Sounds like the Screwdriver would mate well with my current setup….
    Now, how to pay for it…..:rolleyes:

8. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

How many kidneys do you really need? Bah. I keed. But maybe some plasma could be spared. :p Wocka wocka

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I really dig my Screwdriver. I can't say if it will make your OD Boost redundant but it sure has made a few of my old pedals sound silly. I love the fact that the pedal is so multi-functional. From fuzz face tones to low-gain crunch to a fully cranked, pick-sensitive amp!!

10. VanStone

VanStone Member

The Screwdriver is great. It's currently holding the low gain spot on my board. Recent prior inductees to that spot were a Timmy, C/B Gainster, '06 Red Snapper, and MI Audio BBD. All great pedals, but the Screwdriver is my pick of that litter. :AOK

V

11. rewog

rewog Member

Erksin - I'm glad the COT was the answer to your search.

I have Erksin's Screwdriver (traded for the COT), and I have also struggled with the Brilliance trim, and the brightness of the pedal.
    I wonder if this one is just a particularly bright one ?? With the vintage components Marc uses, I'm sure they're all a little different.
    Marc ??
    It's serial number 24.

12. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Could you email me and describe in more detail how it behaves and what amp you have?

Also email me your address and send #24 to me. I'll replace it as soon as I get one made for you; I won't wait to receive the old one back first. Sorry for the trouble, Erksin and Rewog!

13. rewog

rewog Member

Marc, please don't take what I said as criticism of the Screwdriver, or assume that there is anything wrong with #24.
    We all have different taste (and rigs), and it's possible that it's perfect, but just didn't suit my taste.
    One thing for sure... your attitude to customer satisfaction is the best.
    I'll email you later with details.

14. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Oh, I don't take it as criticism, but based on what you and Erksin both said, I'm convinced something is indeed wrong with it. So shoot me that email at your convenience, and I'll get you out a new one.

Thanks! :)

Marc

15. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

[​IMG]
    This is my custom Screw Driver...such an amazing OD. Marc is great to work with too! :AOK

LordByron likes this.
  16. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

um.. linky no worky...

17. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

18. Derelict King

Derelict King Member

Which D*A*M pedal is a dead on replica of the Univox Unidrive?

DK

19. the_pedal_nazi

the_pedal_nazi Member

My man Skreddy= Great pedal builder!!! :JAM

20. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Heard the Skreddy Pedals at the Chicago Tonefest and I was very impressed. The Screwdriver had a great sound that reminded me of the P-2.