Skreddy Screwdriver vs MI Audio Tube Zone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HBob, Jul 13, 2006.

1. HBob

HBob Member

I'm on the waiting list for a Screwdriver with the fine folks at ToneFactor.com and I recently saw and heard the new version of the Tube Zone which looks very cool. Has anyone compared the two?

I have several pedals and the Screwdriver is the most unique sounding dirt pedal I've heard in a while. ( Played one at the Dallas Guitar Show ) The open sounding, sharp attack is what's got me thinking it will stack great with the pedals I already have.

Thanks!

2. rewog

rewog Member

Hey Bob
    I am going to be trying the 2 together this week-end,
    but........ Marc has just done a tweek on the Screw Drivers (he just re-worked mine) and it is just the most amazing OD now. All new Screw Drivers will come with this mod, and it's now TWICE as good as the one you would have tried before.
    Trust me - you want the Screw Driver.

3. HBob

HBob Member

Thanks Rewog! I've been gassing for the SD for a few months now. The new Tube Zone looks cool but I think it and my Reezafratzitz might cover a lot of the same ground. I'll have to check with Tonefactor to see if the smokey mod is on the ones they're getting in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the info and the customer service report form Skreddy! Sounds like a great guy!

4. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yes. Everything from here on out will be the "smokey" version. :) Thank you for shopping at ToneFactor. Brad's a good guy.
    :BEER

5. seanc

seanc Member

rewog,

cant wait to try these two pedals together. should be good fun. i put the board together today so it should be good to go.

6. rewog

rewog Member

Looking forward to it Mate.:dude

7. VanStone

VanStone Member

I have both and they are two very different pedals. The Screwdriver will do everything from boost to creamy OD tones. The TZ sounds like a Mesa Boogie.

V

8. sroux

sroux Member

Smokey????

Hmm....now you have me intriqued.
    I wonder if I should send mine back for the mod, or does it have it allready?? I just got mine about a month ago.

..and Brad is a good guy! Killer customer service :AOK

9. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Agreed. Anyone else having trouble with his site?

10. sroux

sroux Member

Yeah...it was down for a while yesterday, and it's down now.

Probably ISP problems.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

anymore on this thread????

really interested on knowing the general consensus about this.

12. RickB

RickB Member

As said above, they are really apples and oranges. The TZ can get some nice lower gain tones but I have to give it to the SD in that department. The SD has plenty of gain available but it is very different than the TZ's gain. I am trying to find the right words for this but am struggling. One way to put it is that if you owned both, you would not overlap or be dissapointed!