Skreddy Zero And that Smashing Pumpkins sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clayton, Apr 23, 2008.

1. clayton

clayton Member

I just got a Skreddy Zero its on the way via USPS. I know it can do the Zero sound from MCIS but can it do Siamese Dream sound like today or Cherub Rock? I really like an open sounding pedal I hate the whole blanket over the amp sound. Please let me know what you guys think?

Corey

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Yes. It does the Mellon Collie tones better but it can definitely do SD tones too. Honestly, I put the Mayo and the Zero side by side and thought they were VERY close. I realize this can be rig dependent so I'll just say that with my rig there was hardly anything that couldn't be made to sound the same with some knob adjustments. Now the Zero > Mayo....wow, stand back!

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

4. clayton

clayton Member

So what is the difference in Tone between the Mayo and the Zero? How similar or dissimilar are they?

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I find the zero more "modern", if that makes sense... sharper sounding, if you will... Both are amazing.

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

I find the Zero to be Skreddy's "metal" pedal. It has pretty much all the gain of the Zvex Box of Metal (which I loved) but with more articulation and tightness on the lower strings, way less noise and easier-to-dial-out brightness (you can dial out the brightness on the BoM, but it's a little more of a balancing act with the 3-band EQ).

Compared to the Mayo, it sounds bigger and feels/sounds tighter.

I really like the Zero a lot. It sends me into fits of modern metal riffage every time I step on it (versus the Mayo, which sends me more into Sabbathy/Stoner Rock land).

Not sure if this was Marc's intended use, but it definitely works in this role for me.

BAN

7. clayton

clayton Member

So it would not be redundant to have both on your pedal board?

8. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Not for me. I have both and find them both very useful, but I'm a Skreddy addict so take that with a grain of salt ...

9. screamingduck

screamingduck Member