Sky Blue Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mattmccloskey, May 9, 2008.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

I just received my new Mad Prof. sky-blue OD. Quick review:
    This pedal is fantastic. I already have a LGW, Dyna-red, and EGDM. This sky blue is my fave of the bunch already. It can be dialed in similar to the EGDM, but has more gain and can also be more modern sounding than the EGDM.

It actually has characteristics of the other BJF/MP dirt boxes all sort of rolled in one. It has lots of gain and can cut a little like the Dyna-red, but has some of the compression aspects of the Emerald green if you want it. It also can capture the low-mid character of some LGW settings, and can be smooth sounding like the LGW. Those 4 knobs make for lots of variations.

Like the Honey Bee and EGDM, this pedal is very natural and sounds like amp gain, there is no cloudy top or note-separate-from-the-dirt feel of most overdrive/distortion pedals. Very nice little box!

By the way, I am running this into a carr vincent amp, with my anderson T, M series pick-ups.

2. meterman

meterman Member

More gain than the EGDM? :crazy

My old Dyna Red is still my favorite medium gain pedal when I need more than the TIM but not quite a fuzz tone. Beautiful, musical, amplike distortion tones, Bjorn makes some great stuff...

3. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hi Matt,

that sounds great. Mine's coming tomorrow. I also have the HB, EGDM and the DRD, and I have been very curious as to how it compares to that bunch. Do you see it replacing any of your BJFs, or do you plan on keeping/using them all?

Christian

4. mattmccloskey

Yes more than the EGDM, it has a lot of gain on tap.
    I actually use the Dyna-red as my low gain rhythm sound, because I like a brighter, punchy low gain sound and like the fatter, more mid-girth pedals for my higher gain sounds.

5. mattmccloskey

I originally bought the dyna-red for high gain stuff, but found it a little too bright and crunchy, and wanted more low-mid fat in the tone. So I was going to sell it, and ordered the sky-blue to try that as my higher gain lead sound.

While waiting for the Sky Blue I tried the dyna-red set as my low gain rhythm pedal and loved it! I had used my LGW for that job but the dyna-red is a little tighter, brighter and more dynamic, which I dig for that function. So right now I took the LGW off the board, and have my dyna-red for light crunchy break-up, the EGDM for mid gain voxy drive, and the Sky Blue for higher gain stuff.
    I may sell the LGW only because I need $ right now and don't need 4 dirt boxes on the board, although it is a great pedal and it might come in handy for small set-ups where I just want one pedal on the floor with a battery in it.
    I think if i were using the Dyna-red for my high gain tone the sky blue would replace that, as I like the fatter voicing at higher distortion levels that the SB provides.

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Not too hijack, but the OP refers to the characteristic BJF/MP sound. Can someone explain what that is? I'm very interested. FWIW, the Zendrive and Eternity are good frames of reference for me. Thanks.
    Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

7. mattmccloskey

What I find with BJF designs is that they sound more amp-like than most pedals.
    A couple factors are involved. For one, most TS based or Op-amp-clipping-diode type pedals have a little bit of clean transient bleed through the overdriven signal. The hotter the pickups used the more so this can be heard/felt when playing the pedal into a clean amp. This happens alot with the Tube screamers, fulldrive 2, and the Tim/Timmy pedals. It also happens with barber pedals, and just about anything else I have tried that uses an Op-amp. The eternity seems to do this a little as well, but I have not tried a zendrive (which I think uses mosfets).

The other factor with most diode clipping pedals is the nature of the high end. It always seems a little 'smeared', or 'flat' to my ear.
    On the contrary BJF designs are all (except the LGW) discrete transistor based circuits, which always seem (to me) to more accurately emulate tube amp overdrive. The highs have more 'air', they sound less processed, and the overdrive doesn't sound layered on top of the guitar tone.

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Thanks for that, sort of what I was hoping to hear. I too use the DRD more with gain set around 10:00 - 12:00 and I think it is really great for that. I'm also trying to figure out which OD's to keep on the board as I'm getting "too many" (if there is such a thing) OD's...but they're all so darn good!!!

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Thanks Matt. That makes sense, and is probably why I love Menatones. Someday I'll try a SBOD (like when the dollar equal to the euro!)

10. Thor

Thor Member

Matt,

Thanks for the review. No surprise that Bjorn knocked another one out of the park. Unfortunately, it looks like it is sonically different enough to justify adding to the BJFEs that I already have....

Cheers,

Edward

PS - from where did you order this one?

11. mattmccloskey

I ordered it straight from custom sounds. I don't know if any US dealers have them yet.

12. tonewave

tonewave Member

Matt...
    how effective is the z dial when the sbod isn't first in line?
    I run my fuzz (a bjf ppf) first usually, for the standard reasons.

13. mattmccloskey

It works the same as long as 1)the pedals before it are true bypass, 2)the pedals in front are off.
    If you have a PPF in front of it bypassed, the input of the skyblue sees it just like you plugged straight in. The effect of the Z is only hindered if you are buffering the signal before it. I have mine after a wah and 2 bjfs. Since they are all true bypass it doesn't matter.

14. tonewave

tonewave Member

does it have the dynamic range of the hb?

15. mattmccloskey

It can, depending on how it is set.

16. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

PedalGeek had them a couple of weeks ago; that is where I snagged mine