Skype Guitar Lesson Help?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Matt Campbell, May 10, 2016.

1. Matt Campbell

Matt Campbell Member

Hey guys,

I had posted this topic on some other forums, just looking to hear your opinions.

Basically, in the past 2 months I have noticed some really great improvements in my playing (YAY!!!).
    However, I know that I am not progressing as fast as I want to, because I am largely self/YouTube taught. That said, I have decided that based on my schedule, and my lack of funds as a student, I want to seek out a guitar teacher and take regular lessons. I figured that what I need ideally is a Skype teacher I can see once or twice a month for an hour at a time, and I can pick his/her brain about the techniques I want to learn, and get that experience.

My question to you guys is, without me using Google and finding someone who only paid for the advertising, do you guys know any GOOD, and fairly priced Skype/Online guitar teachers? I know Rob Chapman and Phil X both used to do this, and I know Travis Feaster does, but who else is out there?

I appreciate any info you guys can give me.

Thanks guys!:)
    :band

2. CollyByrne

CollyByrne Member

Hi Matt. i highly recommend Derryl Gabel. Check out his site and his sample videos up on youtube. Amazing player and teacher.

3. MrWulf

MrWulf Member

There's also Dave Davidson. He's a metal guitarist but he's classically trained as a jazz guitarist as well so he knows his stuff. I've studied with him for a few session and he will answer every questions you throw at him really well.

I am going back to the Jamplay/Guitarmastclass/Youtube route though, funnily enough. Maybe I'm not cut out for Skype learning.

4. hobbyplayer

hobbyplayer Member

I think Rob Garland, who is both a member of this site and a Truefire instructor, gives skype lessons.

Phletch and vashondan like this.
  5. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Just about anyone who teaches will usually likely to skype lessons.
    What specifically you trying to improve?

6. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

he does and i agree. have been taking from him for a while

7. Phletch

Phletch Member

Mike Dodge, aka @gennation here at TGP, gives Skype lessons. Hit him up and see what he says.

8. psklaroff

psklaroff Member

Hi Matt,

I offer Skype lessons myself and depending on what sorts of things you might be interested in, you can find out more about my teaching through my teaching website which is listed in my signature. It's called Online Guitar Lessons.

Please feel free to drop me a line if you'd just like a chat at first about what sorts of things you like to study. I've been teaching guitar for 25+ years.

Kind Regards

Pete

9. suckamc

suckamc Member

I'm full right now but a spot opens up in June.

10. Rob G

Rob G Member

I do teach via Skype and charge $50 for an hour lesson. Send me an email at rob@robgarland.net for more details.

Thanks,
    Rob

11. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

Not exactly real-time like Skype but it might also be worthwhile to look at something like Truefire's (sherpa) classrooms since you get the one-on-one instruction as well as access to their entire library.

12. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member