Skyway trem system

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ultra, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ultra

ultra Member

Hi,

I have been checking out the Skyway trem system but I've never seen one nor played one.

These look great and appear to be beautifully made.

Has anyone tried one yet? If yes, what are your impressions of feel, affect on tone and ability to stay in tune?

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

There are a few posts on the topic if you search for "skyway". Don't expect a ton of discussion, though, since they haven't been widely available.

3. rooster

rooster Member

How does one get more detailed info on this system as far as mounting setup required, routing required, and all those techie goodies?

rooster.

4. Shades

Shades Member

I've built several guitars using the Skyway now and I feel I have a good understanding of its character and attributes. I can say that it is totally unique in the world of trems. It holds its tuning better than any trem that I've ever used. The tone is chimey but with the attack and sustain of a hardtail. One of the most unique and cool things is the consistency of that sustain and tonal character during a drop in pitch. with other trems I have always noticed that the sustain and the "boldness" of the note dies off a bit as you dive the bar. With the Skyway, it holds the note strong and the sustain seems uneffected by the greatly lowered pitch.It also has a great degree of control over the micro-movement in pitch. It feels much more "Solid" in its control of the note...like you're attached to the note itself. Whereas with a normal trem it feels like you're controlling something attached to the note..one step removed. It is also easy to get a controlled amp vibrato effect with your palm while picking out arpeggios. On top of all that,the build quality is beyond top notch. As for installation, I can provide interested luthiers with laser cut templates for Skyway installation (I would like to stress luthiers as it is not a D.I.Y. job, IMO)

5. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

What's the cost of the trem system?

USACG is offering a killer deal on this finished S body over at their Web Specials page:

[​IMG]

-Ben

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

I'll PM you what Rick told me but you should really contact him yourself