1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Slab Mahogany + P90s: Larrivee Collings or Heritage

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MillIsland, Feb 5, 2012.

1. MillIsland

MillIsland Member

I'm looking for a slab bodied double P90 guitar. Has anyone compared the Collings 290 to the Larrivee RS-2 and the Heritage 137? I have an 65 SG Jr. and am not looking for vintage or Gibson. Just a modern Dual P90. Three totally different pricepoints but I'm looking for bang for buck + great tones.

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a Collings 290, Heritage H137, and a couple of Hamer Specials.

The Collings was beautiful, and had an amazing smoky sound -- I know that's a cheesy sort of word, but that was how I thought of it at the time. It wasn't a super-aggressive guitar, but it had a plethora of great tones.

I wanted to like the Heritage more than I did. It was definitely the roughest of the 4 guitars, in terms of construction. By that I mean it was a basically very solid, reliable guitar, but you had the idea it was made by people, not machines. I actually liked that about the guitar, but I never loved the sound. Good, but not great.

I should note that my first good guitar was a '93 Hamer Special, bought new. That was my only guitar for years, and if it hadn't had such a skinny neck, I'd might still own it.

However, when I snagged a Hamer Korina Special with a wraparound tailpiece and Lollars, I found what I wanted. Full range of P90 sounds, from smooth jazz to dirty rock. Of course, I sold it. :D

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Bang for the buck....Heritage.

Best quality/tone....Collings.

YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.....

4. MillIsland

MillIsland Member

Throwing the PRS Starla X + soapbar into the mix too . . .

5. Brudr

Brudr Member

I don't have experience with all of those (except the Heritage), but remember that the Larrivee is a 25.5 inch scale rather than 24.75 like the other two. It should have a bit more single coil quality/clarity with the longer scale. The 137 I had was a fine instrument with a pretty hefy neck (fat).