Slant or straight cab to hear you in small places?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blueprint, Apr 19, 2008.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

Hi all,

I sometimes barely hear my amp when I play in small clubs. As I stand too close to it, the sound is moving my pants, but not my ears... And as the amp is not miked, I cannot get it in the monitors.
    Is a slant cab the way to go to eliminate this problem?
    Any suggestion welcome!

2. untoldguitarist

untoldguitarist Member

Yeah I would say so because the top 2 speakers are slanting upward almost acting as a monitor

3. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

Or get a lightweight 2x12 to stack on it...I know i know,,,i hate lugging cabs too!

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The other solution is to get a wedge or amp stand for your cab. This will point the cab more toward your ears. The only issue is you may need to find a new place to set your amp head.

A Slant cab would help some, it depends on the cab though, as on some slant cabs the angle of the top 2 speakers is not very large....

5. blueprint

blueprint Member

I was thinking about a Marshall 4x12. I'm now using a staight 4x12 with a Reinhardt 18 watts. This said, I'm opened to any solution.

6. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Member

tilt back legs !
    It worked for me.

7. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The line of projection depends a lot on the type of speakers and what's not, too. Of this reason I'm not sure a discussion slant vs. straight will help you much. One way of going about this problem is using 2pc 412s (yeah, I'm not a fan of lugging gear either) and position them at an angle to eachother. I think this would cover a wider portion of the audience than a single cab no matter the design of that cab.

8. Structo

Structo Member

I use a 2 x 12 and slant it towards me.

9. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

an open backed cab can really let the sound permeate in smaller venues. I like the have the open back cab sedt about two feet back from a wall or large roadcase, helps to deflect the sound up and back at ya.

10. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I'm in the process of designing a cabinet/combo that will address this conundrum. I have the same issue with my 1x12 because it's separate from the head and unless I lay the head on the ground, it would slip off at any real helpfull tilt. I am mike usually but amp volume is much different than miked volume. I prefer amp volume myself with a little house/monitor thrown in. Tilt back is the way to go but how much. I don't like combo amps unless the speaker is in it's own sealed enclosure. Don't laugh but I'm using 12' door stops from a friends key shop temporally until I can cleanly incorporate them in to the back of my cab flush..Make's for great conversation too..:crazy

11. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

Run 2 2x12s ,one w/ a open back as stated by Fuzzyguitars.

12. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

I really like Beam Blockers, especially when playing smaller clubs.
    They not only tame some of the highs, but disperse your sound a little.