• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Slanted 1x12 cabinets

He_Ma

Hi!

Im considering slanted 1x12 cab (Mojotone Slammins is the only one I know) as cab to play in church. Now I play 100W 2x12 Koch multione combo there which is a little bit too loud for the soundguy and I need to have it at certain level to hear myself properly. I think that slanted cab could help to have the sound directed more towards my ears so I could still hear me with less volume from the amp. I also would quess that moving from 2x12 to 1x12 moves less air and drops the stagevolume a bit.

I could use my Black Cat head with this 1x12 cab.

My question is that are there any other nice 1x12 cabs? It would be nice to have those available from EU-market to avoid taxes, but feel free to recommend anything because at the end of the day I just want nice cab.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Are you talking about a 1x12 that is shaped like a monitor or an angled 1x12 like the Mesa 1x12 rectifier cab or something with a slanted baffle?

Heady Jam Fan

Sometimes I put one of these under my amp.

Coyote cabs occasionally makes a run of slanted cabs. Depending on the type of music and speaker you want, the Mesa, as mentioned above, might work. There are also amp stands that slant the cabinet back. Putting it on a chair, or leaned against the wall can work.

spence

Silver Supporting Member
I believe Stoneage now makes a 1x12 with a slanted baffle. I've been using the wood accessory shown above for years now, actually since 1980. It's the only piece of gear that hasn't changed! I painted mine black to blend in with my cab.

Last edited:

He_Ma

Are you talking about a 1x12 that is shaped like a monitor or an angled 1x12 like the Mesa 1x12 rectifier cab or something with a slanted baffle?
Monitor shaped cab is what I mean: http://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/..._2#c=y+t=4+g=28+f=+h=undefined+r=undefined+b=

And just to say that I need other cab anyway and just not for this problem to avoid carrying too much stuff anyway, so those accesories don't help. With new cab I could leave it to the church and I would only need my pedals guitar and head with me. And my wifes synth gear and sax for her on some songs.. Maybe I just need bigger car :)

Grenville

I put a Scumback speaker in an old monitor wedge for exactly the purpose you describe. It works great. Go for it.

I also use a Marshall 2061cx 2x12 in a bigger church venue and both cabs work well for the specific venues I use them in.

Guinness Lad

For guys with a head the wood of door stops is a huge gamble. I had a Coyote cabinet, shouldn't have sold it. They do make a thing called "tilt a speaker", they have them on eBay, $20 per speaker. You can modify your existing cabinet without making it a permanent change.

swiveltung

Yes, head amps are a real problem to tilt. Too much weight too high! I remember playing a Matchless clubman head I had, something didn't sound right... I looked behind me and the cab and head were laying flat on the floor! If I were using a head I would use a cheap amp stand for the head and the cab tilted onto the stand under the head.

gixxerrock

I have a custom made Saxon 2x12 cab with the baffle tilted about 15 degrees. It works great and I don't need to mess with the low end feel by tilting.

Empros

I have a custom made Saxon 2x12 cab with the baffle tilted about 15 degrees. It works great and I don't need to mess with the low end feel by tilting.
I've got a 1X12 from Saxon with the baffle tilted as well. Works perfectly.
My 2X12 from his is straight though.

Saxon makes amazing cabs at great prices.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
For guys with a head the wood of door stops is a huge gamble. I had a Coyote cabinet, shouldn't have sold it. They do make a thing called "tilt a speaker", they have them on eBay, $20 per speaker. You can modify your existing cabinet without making it a permanent change.
I just ordered a new 2x12 cab from Peter Mather and went back and forth about 6 times on whether to go with a slanted baffle or not. Ultimately, I knew I wouldn't be able to get past the look, especially if I wanted to use the cab horizontally for any reason, and I went with a straight baffle. However, it does do wonders to have the speakers pointing more towards the ceiling instead of straight out into the room - both for the player and the sound guy. I might have to give these a try!

He_Ma

I ended up ordering that Mojotone 1x12 cabinet with WGS veteran. Now I just have to wait 10-12 weeks. When I first saw that cab i wondered that why they aren't more popular, but based on the answers here little tilting of the amp is enough for most people. For me it has been problematic to not have chance to raise or tilt the amp enough to hear me properly on reasonable volumes.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Digging this one up... Looking for a slant cab like the Mesa mini 1x12, but less $$$

GreatGreen

Get yourself a small stool to put your amp head on.
Then, directly in front of that, put a wedge on the floor and set your cab on the wedge.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom