Slanted Humbucker For Gibson Nighthawk

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by AlexVoulgarakis, May 13, 2005.

1. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Hello to everyone. i am a newcomer here and i face a very serious and unsolved (hope no for long) problem. i wish to change my Nighthawk's bridge pickup but it is slanted, so i cannot buy a "non custom-shop" pickup. In addition to this Gibson has stopped the production of these guitars and there are no parts available for them. Does anyone of you have any good idea?
    Looking forward for your answers.
    Thanx in advance........
    Greetings from Grecee.

2. george4908

george4908 Member

I believe Gibson did make at least one or two replacement pickups of their own for the Nighthawk, though they would be difficult to find.

You probably will have to contact a small shop like Fralin or Lollar and see if they can build something to suit.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/
    http://www.fralinpickups.com/

3. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

george4908 thanx for you interest. i contacted with gibson and they told me the same but it is very difficult for me to find a dealer that has in stock something that it is not in production for years.Anyway i will contact with those 2 shops you suggested me.
    Thanks once again
    Greetings from sunny Greece...........

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If you're more adventurous you may be able to dismantle the existing pickup and whatever the replacement is that you have in mind, and rebuild the new coils on the old baseplate. You'd have to check the spacing of the screw holes beforehand, but if they are the same there's no reason it won't work. I'd guess it's more likely that Gibson would use standard bobbins on a different baseplate rather than make a completely unique pickup... but I could be wrong.

That's one of the biggest things that put me off that guitar BTW. Just unnecessarily restrictive.

5. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Hi John.........really thank you for your suggestion but i am afraid that is propably the only remaining solution but this is something i cannot do at this moment as this is the guitar i am using in various live gigs. This definitely a restrictive guitar but when i chose it my only criterion was the appearance of the guitar (i was 15 years old then). Despite this now after 9 years i am happy about my purchase, after i have made some modifications (500 kohm Gibson potentiometers, push/pull option not available-3 pups model). I just looking for a less modern pickup.........
    Greetings from Greece

6. george4908

george4908 Member

7. AlexVoulgarakis

AlexVoulgarakis Member

Hi gerorge ......thanks once again for your interest.....I had contacted with Gibson US. and they had told me that they couldn't help me suggesting a dealer who would have any of these pickups in stock...........There are thousands of them (dealers) worldwide so it is almost impossible to contact with each of them in order to find out if they have those pickups in their shelfs.........i also contacted with Gibson Mediterranean (Europe/Italy) and i still wait for their reply.........:confused:

8. Helix

Helix Member

You can always send your pickup in to be rewound, and I'm sure you could also get the magnet replaced. That way you know it will fit. If I were going to get a pickup rewound, I would go to seymourduncan.com and check out their site. I'm sure you can find an email or even a phone number to call or write them and discuss what you have and what you want out of it. That way you are assured of getting what you want in a pickup that will fit.