Slanted smaller cabs: are they easier to hear?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kingsxman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I've seen a few cabs recently (Lopoline, Mathers) that have some pretty extreme slants to the baffle. (2x12 in lobo and a 1x12 in the Mather). I'm wondering if having these "angles" really help with being able to hear the cabs from stage. Also, is there a drawback to having them slanted? Do you lose bass?

Here's an example:
    http://www.lopoline.com/catalog/item/4507699/4537084.htm

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. kingsxman

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

really depends, the fender amps can be tilted, and at practice I will tilt them so they are facing me, on stage facing forward is better, when the speaker is 15 ft way, speaker sound better if they are aimed straight at you.

As far as bass, speaker is setting on the floor, so you still have the bass, if it was setting up the bass would be affected.

4. kingsxman

Yep, I've put some of my kids blocks under the front of 2x12 cabs before to angle them a bit. Its better if they're "pre angled" as far as I'm concerned provided it doesnt have an affect on tone. I think its important to keep the displacment size the same inside the box....so thats why you may see some of these cabs have a larger bottom...to make up for the smaller top and keep the "area" inside the same.

5. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

When they're angled you can leave them on the floor, which usually gives better bass response (or better perceived bass response). An angled cab plus a Beam Blocker = bliss. I had a slightly angled Rivera combo with a beam blocker and I could hear that sucker everywhere...

6. kingsxman

Interesting. I hadnt thought of the beam blocker. What is that supposed to do?

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Years ago, I made a 2-12 cab that had a slanted front, very similar to those,maybe more slanted, and it was not enough to get the beam up to me without elevating or tilting. Better than not slanted...maybe