1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

slapping and popping on guitar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jzucker, Jun 4, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

Sounds cool. Looking forward to the next book.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Very funky, Jack! I've been playing san-plectrum for about 3 years now, and the desire/tendency to thump and pop is second nature. Adds another dimension IMO.

4. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

I've been doing the slap/pop thing on guitar for about a year. Your technique puts mine to shame, though.

I'm a bass player first, so it comes natural!

5. jzucker

I'm beginning to think I'm a bass player too. I started out on bass and after I started working on the slap technique, I bought a 6 string bass and I find myself spending 90% of the time playing bass.

I've also pretty much quit playing with the pick except for a few rhythm guitar things. I'm hoping that a full year without the pick will find me with decent enough chops to do whatever I want. Right now I still struggle with some ideas, especially on the 34" scale! :)

6. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

There are some things that are really hard without a pick, like staccato chorded funk rythms, but there are other things that get easier with time.

When I'm playing acoustic now, I put my thumb and forefinger together meeting at the fingernails for strumming, which gives you a real pick-like sound, but makes it easy to switch to fingerstyle.

Also, I like playing blues using just my thumb to really dig in. It's a great sound, and gives you a lot of feel for what you're playing.

Guitar-playing bass-players of the world, unite!

7. jzucker

I've heard guys do the thumb/forefinger together thing. I haven't had much luck with it. I alternate with thumb-index-middle most of the time.

I like playing blues finger-style too. Gets that Albert King thing goin' on!

8. jzucker

Agreed. I can't wait til I get it down a little more. I'd like to hear some more of your stuff too!

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Oh, duuude......you've got it down pretty well, I should say! My time has been rather unbalanced in favor of building git-fiddles rather than building my chops up after a 10 yr. hiatus from gigging!
    :jo

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member