1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

slapping and popping on guitar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jzucker, Jun 4, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

2. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

Sounds cool. Looking forward to the next book.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Very funky, Jack! I've been playing san-plectrum for about 3 years now, and the desire/tendency to thump and pop is second nature. Adds another dimension IMO.

4. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

I've been doing the slap/pop thing on guitar for about a year. Your technique puts mine to shame, though.

I'm a bass player first, so it comes natural!

5. jzucker

I'm beginning to think I'm a bass player too. I started out on bass and after I started working on the slap technique, I bought a 6 string bass and I find myself spending 90% of the time playing bass.

I've also pretty much quit playing with the pick except for a few rhythm guitar things. I'm hoping that a full year without the pick will find me with decent enough chops to do whatever I want. Right now I still struggle with some ideas, especially on the 34" scale! :)

6. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

There are some things that are really hard without a pick, like staccato chorded funk rythms, but there are other things that get easier with time.

When I'm playing acoustic now, I put my thumb and forefinger together meeting at the fingernails for strumming, which gives you a real pick-like sound, but makes it easy to switch to fingerstyle.

Also, I like playing blues using just my thumb to really dig in. It's a great sound, and gives you a lot of feel for what you're playing.

Guitar-playing bass-players of the world, unite!

7. jzucker

I've heard guys do the thumb/forefinger together thing. I haven't had much luck with it. I alternate with thumb-index-middle most of the time.

I like playing blues finger-style too. Gets that Albert King thing goin' on!

8. jzucker

Agreed. I can't wait til I get it down a little more. I'd like to hear some more of your stuff too!

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Oh, duuude......you've got it down pretty well, I should say! My time has been rather unbalanced in favor of building git-fiddles rather than building my chops up after a 10 yr. hiatus from gigging!
    :jo

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member