• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Slash Amp Set Up With GNR???

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, I am wondering what setup would Slash use regarding amps with GNR…I think his amps were 1 channel right? I don’t think he used any kind of boost pedal right? Clearly he has a fairly clean tone at times and it doesn’t sound like he was using his volume knob (on the guitar)…sometimes it just sounded like an abrupt clean. Then he has a rhythm tone and a lead. The lead has a lot of sustain. So was he using three amps? 1 for clean, 1 for rhythm and 1 for lead? Or was it 2 amps…1 for clean and then the rhythm/lead were using the volume knob? Anyone know? Thanks

demea26

I read on the internets a Line 6 was used for the vast array of tones heard on that album.

ledzep618

I read on the internets a Line 6 was used for the vast array of tones heard on that album.
:spit

But in all seriousness, all of appetite was recording through a modded Marshall 1959 tremolo right? You have to realize that studio albums are not generally recorded live. He doesn't need a 3 amp rig in the studio. The songs are recorded in pieces and spliced together. Clean is just the amp set up for clean. Hell I've read that Axl recorded his vocals 1 line at a time with breaks in between each line. Gotta feel for that engineer.

berardi

He had his tech switching heads for clean.

In the 88' Ritz show, it's just a cranked JCM800 straight to it, for some reason he didn't even plugged a wah pedal, so Brownstone and Sweet Child's solo wasn't as good. I love that show anyway, you can find the whole thing in youtube.

Flogger59

:spit

But in all seriousness, all of appetite was recording through a modded Marshall 1959 tremolo right? You have to realize that studio albums are not generally recorded live. He doesn't need a 3 amp rig in the studio. The songs are recorded in pieces and spliced together. Clean is just the amp set up for clean. Hell I've read that Axl recorded his vocals 1 line at a time with breaks in between each line. Gotta feel for that engineer.
It's worse with Ozzy. He likes to double each line immediately. Sing a line, back up, arm other track, resing line, sing next line, back up, arm the other track...

xSparkyx

On the Illusions tour I read that he was using Marshall Silver Jubilee Heads. One for dirty (with EL-34's) and one for clean (with KT-88's, I think).

ledzep618

So he used the volume on his guitar for his solo boosts I take it?
Most guitarists worth their salt use their volume knob pretty extensively. At least before the advent of a multitude of channel switchers.

I seem to remember reading that he usually has his pickup volumes around 5-7 for rhythm tones.

Classic09

Slash's setup with GNR was a modded SIR 1959T amp head with a boss GE7 in the fx loop to boost for solos. Vox AC30 was used for cleans only.

Probos

Silver Supporting Member
This couldn't have been his live set up with GNR? Could it?
The SIR modded Marshall 1959 was what he used for Appetite in the studio.

Use Your Illusion was probably some modded version of a JCM800 in the studio, maybe a Jubilee,....who knows for sure. Later he got his one sig amp.

Seriously, Google is your friend -- just search "slash amp <insert album title>" and there's all kinds of info/mis-info out there.

Classic09

There's a lot of uncertainty around which amp was used as there are two that it could have been. SIR #34 or #36.

Slash allegedly toured the SIR amp for a while before it accidentally got returned.

The UYI recordings were likely with a modded JCM800 and the Jubs came after the UYI recordings and used for live.

If the stories are to be believed, the Jubilees only made it onto more recent Slash recordings.

dr.C

You can see several silver jubilees in the official video for Paradise City and that was before UYI.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom