Slash head sounds so good.

JackButler

Gold Supporting Member
So I recently traded into a Marshall Slah head, jubilee reissue. I had a 50w jub sometime back, liked it but not quite there.
I have so many amps, around 10 usually, so been trying to sell some off.
I love all types of amps as well, also have always dug 80's Rock, where I grew up in my teens.

So I got the Slash, thought it sounded really good, but why keep it when I have so many other great amps. So, as many others before it, it is up in the emporium.

Now every time i plug in, I aks why would I sell it? To get another amp that won't be for me? Just got done giving it another 30 minutes or so and damn, the thing just sounds great! Nice big bottomend, not so fizzy highs liek many, and it can get fairly creamy for such an amp. The master volume works fairlyu well, obvsiouly it sounds best cranked, but way down low it is good enough and better tahn any small watter that I'd be trying to use for low volumes.
The clean is not great, but useable for most of the stuff I do, still I always crave that good old BF clean or what I get from my TR or Gusher. Still, I rarely use those straight cleans with the band, only on a few songs. The rest is the clean channel with a boost or drive and then the lead, etc.

Now I am wondering how much better this sucker woudl be with some NOS tubes, not that the tubes in it are bad in any way. Any suggestions?

While it is not my favorite amp or the best of the best toned amps I won, the darn thing is just fun and makes me want to plug in and just rip old riffs from days gone by.

This amp is staying I do believe! Gonna sleep on it, but think she will stay and I'll cancel my Carol Ann! No ****! I'm sure the CA would be killer, but probably somewhat simialr to my TR that is pretty darn good!

Kudos to Marshall on a killer amp gone by. I almost let this sucker slip away, but think it will do just fine right here.

So, where's the Slash love?
Guess it's long overdue I learn some G&R! I never really played any of their tunes as I was always elected the one to have to sing them, argh.

2555SL

Well Jack, you are not alone. Where`s the Slash love? Right here!

Seriously, I have played through a fair number of amps (currently own a wonderful `85 MkIII Boogie and a Fender Super Champ), yet the 2555SL really has such a nice big bottom end and great crunch tones...not to mention the lead channel. I am always amazed when I listen back to home recordings done with my 2555SL at low volumes (4x12 Marshall cab miced with an SM57). It sounds absolutely huge.

I, like you it would appear, have never bothered chasing down that NOS tube path with the Slash. The tone is so good I never felt the need, plus I`m one of those "if the tone ain`t broke, don`t fix it" kinda guys. In other words, and for me personally, the amp is just perfect without NOS tubes.

Anyway, not much more to say about the amp other than it`s the best Marshall I`ve ever owned. I owned a 50-watt `75 4-holer and a `92 Limited Edition 6100LE (#91) with the brass-plated chassis-- neither of those two amps could hold a candle against the Slash for tone. Jimbo and the boys at Marshall got it right! I completely understand why it`s Jim`s favorite amp, and the favorite amp of so many others.

Of final note, I often sift through the endless posts here about various designer amps... then I fire up the Slash and smile!

Cheers, 2555SL

Ironman

I'm with you! The only rock amp I keep coming back to is a Jubilee or Slash. They've seen many boutique amps come and go. It remains my favorite Marshall. My new Wizard MC is right up there but it's not going to send the Slash packing.

I can't help experimenting with tubes. If you want creamy, GT EL34M's and GT 12ax7m's are it. I like the Shuguang EL34B/Ei 12ax7 combo for a more ballsy, less creamy tone.

I really like a Slash/Jub matched with either my V30's or G12M Heritages. I've played them through many different speakers and I really didn't find any that I thought weren't a good match. They don't seem to be finicky amps.

Don't sell her, you'd regret it. I'm sure you don't want to pay an arm and leg to get another one if you do sell her...been there a few times but have learned my lesson.

BTW, for some reason I prefer the Slash's I've had over the years to the Silver Jub's. They've been a little more ballsy and bigger sounding. Dagnell vs. Drake OT's??? The loops seem better too although I don't typically use a loop anymore.

You are definitely not alone in getting on with that amp. She's a beautiful beast!

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a 50Watt silver jubilee 2553, great amp. Never played an a Slash. The Silver Jubilee's did not have the best loops, maybe they changed them on the Slash. The loop on mine is good though.

For tubes I hightly recommend the SED =C= EL34's, they really helped my amp. As for clean tones, I have recently started biamping, using a Fender Bandmaster reverb head for clean and switching to the marshall for crunch and distortion....

Ironman

I have a 50Watt silver jubilee 2553, great amp. Never played an a Slash. The Silver Jubilee's did not have the best loops, maybe they changed them on the Slash. The loop on mine is good though.

For tubes I hightly recommend the SED =C= EL34's, they really helped my amp. As for clean tones, I have recently started biamping, using a Fender Bandmaster reverb head for clean and switching to the marshall for crunch and distortion....

The Jub's loops really seemed inconsistent, sounds like you got a good one. Actually the tone sucking of one of my earlier Jub's got me into running a wet/dry rig. I haven't used a loop since.

The way I dial one in, I'm not able to get a decent clean tone at all by rolling my volume down. Channel switching doen't work for me either, no biggie. I too A/B. I'm using it with a Fender Twin for my clean stuff. This covers it all for me.

KOG

Preaching to the choir here!

I have a 2553 head and does the MARSHALL thing better than any amp I have owned including Marshall's - go figure!

My fav amp of all time is still my TR CRS, but the 2553 is monstrous Marshall!

:RoCkIn

Jay Strange

Silver Supporting Member
I also like how good of a bluesy tone you can get outta that sucka!
There are some incredible sweet spots in that amp. I remember being totally in the zone with that amp and give it the "Now thats a Marshall"
nod:dude

2555SL

I remember being totally in the zone with that amp and give it the "Now thats a Marshall"
nod:dude

haha, good post! So true. After years with my Slash, I know the nod you`re talking about. Like Randy Savage might say, "oh yeaaaahhh!"

wichita

So I recently traded into a Marshall Slah head, jubilee reissue. I had a 50w jub sometime back, liked it but not quite there.
I have so many amps, around 10 usually, so been trying to sell some off.
I love all types of amps as well, also have always dug 80's Rock, where I grew up in my teens.

So I got the Slash, thought it sounded really good, but why keep it when I have so many other great amps. So, as many others before it, it is up in the emporium.

Now every time i plug in, I aks why would I sell it? To get another amp that won't be for me? Just got done giving it another 30 minutes or so and damn, the thing just sounds great! Nice big bottomend, not so fizzy highs liek many, and it can get fairly creamy for such an amp. The master volume works fairlyu well, obvsiouly it sounds best cranked, but way down low it is good enough and better tahn any small watter that I'd be trying to use for low volumes.
The clean is not great, but useable for most of the stuff I do, still I always crave that good old BF clean or what I get from my TR or Gusher. Still, I rarely use those straight cleans with the band, only on a few songs. The rest is the clean channel with a boost or drive and then the lead, etc.

Now I am wondering how much better this sucker woudl be with some NOS tubes, not that the tubes in it are bad in any way. Any suggestions?

While it is not my favorite amp or the best of the best toned amps I won, the darn thing is just fun and makes me want to plug in and just rip old riffs from days gone by.

This amp is staying I do believe! Gonna sleep on it, but think she will stay and I'll cancel my Carol Ann! No ****! I'm sure the CA would be killer, but probably somewhat simialr to my TR that is pretty darn good!

Kudos to Marshall on a killer amp gone by. I almost let this sucker slip away, but think it will do just fine right here.

So, where's the Slash love?
Guess it's long overdue I learn some G&R! I never really played any of their tunes as I was always elected the one to have to sing them, argh.

Jack,
Sometimes its hard to beat a good old Marshall. Ask Jeff Beck.
There are a lot of great amps out there but when I tour Europe I generally rent some newer Marshalls and when you really dig in and live with them for a bit they are hard to beat.

The NOS thing might take it up a notch or two as well...

Cheers,

L

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I played in a band where the other guitarist used this head. Man did it sound good. Really really good.

lespaul6

I had three and just sold two on ebay for two grand a piece...did not need to sell but I could only play one at a time. I kept the cleanest one for myself...it sits atop the matching slash cabinet. It is truly the best sounding Marshall Ive ever played. The mids will demolish any 100 watt top out there except for an incredibly loud 72 superlead I owned. Output master on 8, lead master on 5.5 or 6! pump the mids to 7....if a more expensive boutique maker had made it everyone would be raving!!!!! Steven, two of the amps I sold once belonged to you!!! how is the roccaforte?

JackButler

Gold Supporting Member
Ha, great stuff guys!
It sure is growing on me. Per the loop, no clue, I never use a loop.
I'll likley snag some NOS tubes and mess with her, but I really can't think of anything I'd liek to tweak really when I consider it deeply.
SWEEEEEET!

lespaul6

the preamp loves chinese tubes only...i get the gt 12ax7c's in all positions, tried eh, sovtek, and the like and they all darken the tone too much in my opinion...the chinese 12ax7's just give you that string zing on the lower E and nice gain characteristics. Its kind of a crap shoot buying chinese preamp tubes without trying out first so I just bite the bullet and pay the extra money to have groove tubes sort them out for me.

Ironman

Steven, two of the amps I sold once belonged to you!!! how is the roccaforte?

OK! I picked up another clean Slash recently...I've gotta have at least one laying around. Still loving the Rocca too, just picked up a Wizard. Another fine amp! I've got a lot of really nice gear recently, life is good!

lespaul6

Sounds good..I'm still rockin the slash and a SLO. I would love to try out a wizard someday, they look real nice inside! did you get the metal or vintage? how many watts?

Ironman

Wanted to mention that Ceriatone and Category5 are both planning on doing a Jubilee crkt amp! Category5 is working with Bonamassa...nice!

I've always wondered why none of the boutique builders have jumped on a Jubilee style amp before. I always wished Marshall would make it a regular production amp too. Things might be looking up...at least in the boutique market.
:dude

JackButler

Gold Supporting Member
While were at guys going to make JUb circuits. How would you improve upon it? Besides the people that say they don't like the loop/
I truly have a hard time thinking of how it coudl be improved, unless the cleaner was made better.
Yes, the Wizards are killer amps. I have that plexi one for sale myself. Best plexi clone out there IMHO. Thing is, I have an old '73 that is hard to beat and with a plexi not being my #1 go to style of amp there is no reaosn to keep the Wiz when the Marshall will go up in the value, though the Wizards are destined to be classics forever. If I gigged a plexi I would w/o a doubt keep the Wizard.
Now back to the Slash!
Cat5 doing a JB model would be great.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom