Slash Les Paul.... VERY Suprised!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rockinrob86, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I am not a slash fan. I do not play music that heavy, and it just isn't my thing. I also rarely find guitars (gibsons especially) at guitar center that are set up decently and play in a way that I would describe as good.

I walked into GC today, and saw the new custom shop slash les paul. I thought I would check her out, so I walked her into the little amp room at the back and plugged it into one of those Marshall handwired 20 watt mini half stack things (the one with two 12's). Turned the amp up all the way, and oh my god. Time stood still. It was absolutely magical. That guitar had the perfect rock and roll guitar tone, and played like a dream. Seriously, you MUST play one if you are into vintage rock and roll. I am still in shock that I found a guitar with that magical of a tone and feel at gc without having to make any adjustments. WOW!

2. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

i agree they are awsome.

3. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Are we talking about the brand new Slah guitar that is around $5K that just came out today or the oler version in the tobacco burst that is around $3.5K?

4. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

How much were they asking for it?

5. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

$3800 is what they are going for. It listed for 5,500 and it is the new one that is supposed to come out today. Unfortunately I have no where near the money (or extra credit) to get it. I'm in college. It is a vos style guitar with faded honey burst, almost an unburst finish.

6. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

sure it wasnt the ole 20 watter? :)

7. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The VOS was really nice. I will get to check out the signed version relic one in a few days.

8. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Considering I didnt even know the difference this morning, I even surprizes me to say that I bought one of the USA Slash Standards today. Only 1600 made and it was only a few hundread more than a new LP standard. Awesome neck and unique colour that has never been made before on a LP.

http://www.gibson.com/Slash/Gibson USA/SlashLesPaulStandard/

I saw the one that you played today and it was around $5K, which was just too much for me, but nice guitar for sure.

I was told that the original Slash model with the fishman bridge has been discontinued and will not be made anymore.

9. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

His sig. Gear has been really really good!

10. blood5150

blood5150 Member

whats funny is that Appetite for Destruction wasnt even recorded with a real Gibson Les Paul.... it was a LP copy made by a local luthier in LA.... slash didnt need to spend 5,500...why should anyone else??

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Appetite had its fair share of a Jackson Soloist played by SLASH as well.

12. Fu78

Fu78 Member

Maybe new model release again after a few year......:moon

13. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I saw one on display and for sale this past Saturday (3/29), brand-****ing-new with a faded cherry-sunburst three-piece top, just like the one we're all used to seeing him play.

14. burner

burner Member

I thought he said it was it was a Max copy?

15. screamtone

If you find a Derrig or a Max for $5500, call me. We'll both make some money. Don't forget that Appetite was cut over 15 years ago. The value of your money has diminished quite a bit.

16. screamtone

Initially, it was said to be a Max, but later proven to be a Derrig. (At least that's the way I recall the whole story). I worked with a producer who was in the studio when Appetite was recorded, and I used to rehearse at the studio where they wrote the Illusion records.... apparently, it could have been a Hondo II and they were all so ****ed up that they wouldn't have known.

You remember the Coke machines with the door you'd open and pull out a bottle? They one of those at the studio filled with beer. GnR's reputation was so bad that the sessions were catered, rather than giving the band members per diem's. The producer guy told me he saw 3-4 members of GnR remove the caps from the bottles in the machine and tip the machine over, trying to catch the beer in a 5 gallon drywall mud bucket, since they didn't have any drinking money.

Slash could have thought that guitar was a Max, a Derrig, a gift from his grandmother, or a gift from Jimi.

17. burner

burner Member

Wow, I did some research after posying that and what a can of worms that is over at mylespaul.com :)
    anyway, I don'tthink it was ever proven but who cares...

I only posted that because I thought I knew something that someone else didn't. I had no idea the huge discrepnacy issue.

Carry on
    :dude

18. rrhea

rrhea Member

What you should have said is that most Historics have the angle pretty far off from wrong. :) The proper angle on the neck of an accurate Les Paul is 4 degrees. In fact, on Les Pauls made from '54 until the late 60's the neck-to-body angle was a very precise 4 degrees. 4 degrees allows for a much lower stop-bar tailpiece height and a lower bridge height.

In the photo above your example is likely not a 4 degree angle (probably a 5 or higher) and, therefore, the angle is too great to have the stop-bar lowered closer to, or even flush with, the body. You've mistaken the newer building methods with historically correct specs.... when, in fact, you have it backwards.

The Historics and VOS's I have played recently (plus the two I own, and including my ES-339 made in the Memphis Custom shop) have neck angles close to the 4 degree mark, if not right on. Certainly closer than what you show in that photo and closer than anything non-VOS or Custom Shop that Gibson makes currently.

RR

19. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Not to mention a BC Rich Mockingbird. The thing that I find surprising is that it's supposedly a direct copy of a guitar that so many here hate. 80s Les Pauls aren't given a whole lotta love around here.

20. gregory49

gregory49 Member

my friend I can tell you the last slash sig was the best les paul i've ever played. (the one with the paezo system which is a neat little toy) Most of what you are hearing is those seymour duncan alnico II pickups, put them in any les paul... and your gonna get very close! I put a set in my 04 standard (which is better then the historics i've played one of which a R7 I used to own ) . Now the playability of the slash was fantastic it had a nice '59 neck. I'm preatty sure the new ones are modeled after the last slash sig minus the paezo.