• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sleeper of an amp..

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I can't get the boxier Bandit tone out of it, no matter how I set it. Not complaining, that's why I finally sold my 6th Solo Series Bandit--I prefer the Special 130.
I think the later Bandits cleaned up on the boxy tone.
Special 130's are rare around here.
I've had one for a long time. If this is what the dreaded SS amp tone sounds like, I'm fine with it.

vr6pilot

Jaded.

But I do get your point. The internet forums have revealed most of what used to be genuine sleepers.

And...just for funsies, I'd put my Encore against your X60 and mop da floor with ya. ;)

drewl

Place old band rehearsed had a Peavey Butcher.
Basically a JCM800 with 6L6's.
Ugly as hell but sounded great.

I used to work on their gear, so I made sure that one was perfect.

Buck Private

Recently got a Carvin X60B in good shape (recapped, retubed). I'm still learning how to dial it in, but it is promising. I use the conventional tone stack and the clean channel. It cost less than I spent on my last delay pedal.

What kind of tones do you expect out of that carvin. found a fifty watt version of that,but it's too far away to try o.I want some fender-y twang and cleans and a SRV drive if at all possible.I also want to pair it up with the neck P/U of my 4001.

Spudman

Peavey Delta 1x15. A couple of others have already mentioned how great it is. I concur.
Crate VC 5212 - These came out in the 90s and are similar to a Bassman on the clean channel and a Marshall on the dirty. I've used mine for backline support when I was running sound in a venue, and many top artists commented on how much they liked it.

Zooey

What kind of tones do you expect out of that carvin. found a fifty watt version of that,but it's too far away to try o.I want some fender-y twang and cleans and a SRV drive if at all possible.I also want to pair it up with the neck P/U of my 4001.
I'm mostly familiar with the clean channel. It is Fendery, but there are some significant differences. It sounds most like a Fender with the midrange almost all the way down. There seems to be a ton of headroom in the preamp. If you hit it hard with a boost, it gets a louder, but not much more compressed or crunchy like a Fender does. It cuts really well through a band, and I can hear nuances in my effects that are inaudible through my Fenders. There are aspects of it that are almost like playing through a solid state amp, which will turn some people off.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Crate Vintage Club - virtually any in the series. I have the 5310 (50 watts; 3 10" speakers) and the 2110 (20 watts; 1 10" speaker). The big one sounds simply wonderful (but is too heavy to be practical) and holds its own with virtually any combo amp I've played. The little one's a perfectly good sounding grab n go for great for small gigs.

I've also had a Crate V15 that had a 12" speaker and it too sounded fine.

An early Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival used Crate 50 watters for the back line. Sounded pretty darn good to me.

Last edited:
Recently bought a 3203 artist heaf to get the cabinet it was with.
Wow...and they go for cheap.

Had this amp back in 04 and LOVED the crunch out of it. Was in a bad spot in life and just traded/sold a bunch of gear.

I also think the Marshall Valvestate 8100 qualifies as a sleeper. Just a fantastic Marshall crunch out of that thing.

RockinRob

Jaded.

But I do get your point. The internet forums have revealed most of what used to be genuine sleepers.

And...just for funsies, I'd put my Encore against your X60 and mop da floor with ya. ;)

THIS REALLY CALLS FOR A BLIND SOUND TEST SUBMISSION BATTLE!!

joeh77

I would add the Marshall JTM 30 and JTM 60 to this list. I think the word is out on these amps as well. I owned one of these in the '90s, and the first amp I bought was one of the aforementioned Music Man RD series combos.

Sold both years ago, unfortunately!

Joe

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Pretty much any tweed covered Gibson amp, old Ampegs, silverface bandmasters.

I'd argue the Trainwreck clones in little wooden boxes are up there too. If someone doesn't know what it is (and that's most people), I guarantee they will be blown away by a properly built one.
A few months ago I scored a 67 Ampeg Jet for under $400. It’s the best amp I’ve ever had hands down. Just stellar. Vintage goodness for less than a Blues Jr. No contest.

Buck Private

I'm mostly familiar with the clean channel. It is Fendery, but there are some significant differences. It sounds most like a Fender with the midrange almost all the way down. There seems to be a ton of headroom in the preamp. If you hit it hard with a boost, it gets a louder, but not much more compressed or crunchy like a Fender does. It cuts really well through a band, and I can hear nuances in my effects that are inaudible through my Fenders. There are aspects of it that are almost like playing through a solid state amp, which will turn some people off.
Thanks for the input.I found some sound clips that didn't do much for me so I'll keep looking.

twotone

I
70's Music Man along with 70's Traynors are great amps. Almost got a Traynor YGLA-3a head (twin like) instead but the guy flaked out.

I've played through both. I prefer the overdrive in the mid to late 1970s Music Man amps.

Top Bottom