Slide DVD's?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Occam, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Occam

Occam Member

I'm looking for a good instructional slide dvd preferably one that focuses on playing in standard tuning. I'm also interested in one for open tunings like open D. I just can't get my slide playing to where I want it...it always sounds like a wounded animal.

2. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

Warren Haynes has a video out. I haven't seen it though.

Jim

3. kevin barrett

kevin barrett Member

For slide guitar instruction check out Bob Brozman's
    series.Atrue master musician and great teacher as well.;)

4. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I think I've seen most of the currently available videos
    Although Warren Haynes is known for playing slide in natural, his video would not be my first choice in an instructional video for beginning or intermediate slide. He is a great slide player, but the video is not that 'instructional' unless you just want to lift some riffs through repetition. Ditto for Mick Taylor's video

Beginner- Kirby Kelly- clear and concise instruction on damping and technique to get you started 'not sounding like a sick cat'
    Beginner/Intermediate- Arlen Roth, Roy Rogers are each good teachers. Arlen gives more lessons, Roy, more performance
    Intermediate/Advanced-Bob Brozman 3 DVD set, or just parts II & III if you can find it. Lots of tunings, delta style, techniques and tricks. Moves fast. Be prepared for lots of re-wind/replay.

Eventually Kirk Lorange will finish his 'Slide in Drop D' instructional video. Get on his mailing list. Judging from his excellent 'Plane Talk' video and book, that will be a benchmark video lesson in slide in 'almost natural' tuning. Meanwhile, Kirk always has many generous free video slide lessons on his website. You can learn a lot watching him for technique and tone.
    http://www.kirklorange.com/about.html
    http://www.bottleneckguitar.com/
    Here are some freebies:
    http://www.thatllteachyou.com/lessons.html
    He has posted a link to one of his drop D Master class lessons here (give a listen to him tearing up Crossroads):
    http://www.thatllteachyou.com/xroads/

5. sws1

sws1 Member

6. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

I do think Brozman is a great teacher too. I just lean more towards the electric slide thing, which is not his strength. He is mainly a resonator guy- world music, delta, etc. Arlen, Roy and Kirk are more into the electric thing. It just depends on where you want to go. When its on the Gear Pages, I assume its electrified.

7. glendrix

glendrix Member

Tell me a little more about planetalk and I just may order. I just checked out his website and it looks like if advertised, something I could definitely use. Do you need the DVD with the book?

Thanks for the headsup on this.

8. glendrix

glendrix Member

I have no idea if it is any good, but I just recently saw a slide package being offered from Truefire.com. It ain't cheap and is given by David Hamburger (not familiar with him) but may be an option for your slide journey. Looks pretty comprhensive but I am just going by what I saw.

9. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Don't know this particular package, but the Truefire.com stuff is uniformly excellent, IMHO.

I use a lot of it with my students, and even personally. Especially nice are their "Interactive Video" packages. Very user friendly, and chock full of info.

Besides, they offer a no-questions-asked refund offer if you don't dig it. I bought one $11 lesson that I thought sucked, and they didn't blink. Refunded within hours!

Quality stuff!

-Jim

10. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Its hard for me to recommend any teaching system, but I really did enjoy Kirk's efforts. The book is actually in comic book format, and streches out the concept-sort of like Classics Illustrated, if you remember those comics.
    But Kirk has a very interesting approach to understanding music theory,and I found it very useful. If you are familiar with CAGED, Kirk strips it down to simply triads and boils that down to three essential fingerboard shapes that can be applied anywhere in any key. Highly effective and intuitive and a boon to those of us who just 'don't get' standard keyboard related music theory lessons.
    I liked the DVD very much- it was well done and showed a lot of preparation. I would go with the DVD package- then you also get Kirks excellent music CDs as a bonus and the ability to participate in his on-line teaching forums.

11. glendrix

glendrix Member

Thanks ordered the DVD and book:AOK

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

Do you use Netflix?
    I do, and I have been checking out every slide DVD they have!
    The last one I had was great, loved it. I'll try to remember to go look at my Netflix history and see which one it was.

13. jordanL

jordanL Member

Not familiar with the package you mention, but I am familiar with David, he's an excellent player and a fine teacher. When It comes to slide I've moslty seen him him play dobro or lap.