Slide guitar help: preferences in slide?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by jones2278, Mar 11, 2015.

1. jones2278

jones2278 Member

Hey all... Just curious on some preferences in slides. For slide, I play a fender resonator round neck with 13's. I play with my ring finger. I have a glass slide that I've been playing with, but looking to change. It's thick walled, too big and too heavy. What are some suggestions for easier playing and keeping good sound? Looking for something lighter and that fits my finger snugly, which is around size 9. So basically, what are some of your preferences and brands for slides? Thanks!

2. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

Tough to suggest because you really have to try them on to know. But I can tell you that I find Dunlop sizes either too big or too small. And found a glass Clayton Slide to be perfect for my ring finger in size and weight. Hope that helps....

3. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

For me heavy is the best for getting energy into the string. I use either a Dunlop #228 chromed brass slide or a Rock Slide in gold-plated brass. I find glass too smooth; you need some friction to get the string excited enough to get good tone and well-worn chrome is perfect for that. The Rock Slide has some great ergonomic touches-like the tapered interior which helps stop the thing wobbling around on your finger. Not cheap but worth every penny.

http://www.therockslide.com/

4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I like heavy. I agree with the previous posters though, that you gotta find what works for your fingers and your touch.

Acoustiglide Brass Tapered is the best for me. I play a National Model O.

I liked Glass - but dropping and breaking them got old for me. I still have a 40 year old Coricidin bottle slide that was my fav for along time - but now I prefer the brass.

I don't mind ceramic - the Joe Perry Bone Yards were OK - but came in a variety of lengths and diameters - so you could find the best fit. I play ring finger mostly, but will use a small pinky slide for limited slide parts in songs in Std Tuning.

The Chrome Dunlops are fine - I like the heaviest gauge I can find though. I put tape on the inside to get the right fit.

5. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Brass sounds best for Dobro's. I like thick walled glass for my electric guitars. If you want too get growl, wire brush the brass slide to use.

6. jones2278

jones2278 Member

Thanks for the responses y'all! And Barnzy, I'm using a Dunlop glass right now so you are right on. It is too big, floppy, and hard to control. I agree with you all too on it being subjective to personal preferences. I was thinking brass or chrome, and you guys confirmed that. And I that's good advice snake catcher about glass being too smooth and not having the friction as metal does. The tapered is also a good idea tommy for fitting snug. I'm not worried about the price, just want one that feels good. But thanks again guys. You have given good info. I really appreciate it!

7. jones2278

jones2278 Member

Never thought about using a wire brush rockerduck. I'm going to try that. Thanks!

8. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have brass,craftsman steel ala Lowel Georges mod, and thick glass slides with some weight. Depends on the guitar and your mood. You gotta have all three styles as a minimum. Try a shorter length glass that is thick. Dunlop makes a nice one but I also own a Mr B's which is short and thick. Here is the website;you won't like the prices, but they are worth it if you are a serious player.
    http://mrbsguitarslides.com/shop/ I have been futzing with slide since 1968 and B is the best I have come across.

9. jones2278

jones2278 Member

Thanks teleman. I'll check that out. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years and have played slide on and off. Where I'm from is pretty close to the origin of delta blues. The town I was born and raised had some old blues men there that I was around here and there. One had arthritis so bad, he played slide with a butter knife, and it sounded awesome. That got me into playing blues. So I agree with everyone to being personal preference and what works for one might not work for the other. I was just curious on what you all thought. Thanks for all the info. It is much appreciated.

10. choucas09

choucas09 Member

I like ceramic slides, extremely light and, imo, great tone. Currently using a Joe Perry boneyard shorty.

[​IMG]

11. jones2278

jones2278 Member

I was thinking about getting a ceramic too choucas. I've heard good things about them, with the only exception on being extremely fragile. But that's not much of a concern for me. Thanks for the info. I'll probably get a few different to try. I just want it to fit snug and that's hard to do sight unseen. I just started back playing slide again, got in a rut in my playing and doing something different. I've had the Dunlop glass for a while and just really don't like the feel. Think I'm gonna go brass right now with all the info you guys have given me, and I think I'm gonna get a ceramic too. Probably gonna get tapered, or take Tommy's advice and use tape to fit snug.

12. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Bottleneck from Diamond Slides or Mr. B's.

13. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

If you go with Mr. B, be prepared for a long wait. I ordered one from Mr. B and one from stoneslides.com and have been waiting for weeks. Hope they're worth the wait.

Also asked for a quote from Diamond weeks ago.

Apparently business is so good none of these guys need any more.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I like brass and copper slides for both acoustic and electric. I have the Robert Johnson signature slide from Dunlop that I use for acoustic but I found it a bit too heavy for electric. For that I use a plain brass Dunlop slide most of the time.

15. jones2278

jones2278 Member

I just bought a medium brass from GC and it fits my finger perfect. Getting it off is like getting your thumb out of a bowling ball haha, but it's a nice fit. Gonna probably order some different to try too. I doubt I go with Mr. B. Its not the price, but could get one blown for me around here to fit exact for cheaper. But I'm not going that route either. As I've stated with the guy that played with the butter knife, you don't have to pay high price to be serious. But thanks for all the comments. I've enjoyed hearing everyone's input. Gonna try the brass this evening and probably order a chrome and ceramic to try. Maybe even another glass that's a better fit.

16. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

...And don't overlook Clayton...they have an "in between size" that seems to hit right where Dunlop misses. I have it in glass, but they have a chrome "socket style" that is the same diameter.

17. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

My Diamond was the best sounding slide I'd found in almost thirty years of playing. Really sucked when it broke. I now use a Latch Lake Acoustiglide as well. Brass doesn't break, the tapered shape allows mass to be placed where it's most effective while keeping the slide (relatively) light, and the small fits perfectly on my pinky. Medium works on the ring, but I like using a pinky slide.

18. jones2278

jones2278 Member

Thanks Barnzy. I will check out the Clayton's. The brass I got today feels good and plays good too now that I got to try it. And I will look at the diamonds too. Thanks crazyquilt!

19. Diamond

Diamond Member

Hey Astronaut FX ~ we don't appear to have any outstanding price quote inquiries on the system - and we love all the business we can handle from sliders!

Can you contact me again with your price quote & i'll handle it personally :)

Slide On!

Ian (Diamond Bottlenecks)

www.diamondbottlenecks.com

20. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

In keeping with this thread topic, I tried out a RockSlide today. Really was not impressed. The product is certainly quality built, but the ergonomics of it certainly did not match my hand...I tried two different sizes. Sorry for the bad review...probably works for others.... I want to try one of those acoustiglide ones next....