Slide Preferences

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cram, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cram

cram Member

Slide -

I've kept a copper slide that I had given to me years ago in my gig bag and near my amp while home for a long time and I had never put too much effort into how I used it. Lately, I have been slowing down with expectations for it and working with it more to understand the technique with a bit less haste... I have enjoyed the times I've played with it, meaning; I'm enjoying the sounds I hear.
    But I wonder if I'm missing something initially -
    this slide is a heavy peice of metal and I see most players with those clear plastic slides.

Is there a huge differnce in this?
    Does it weigh the hand down so one may play differently in subtle ways?
    I've also found a happier place with it on my 3rd finger rather than the 4th finger, but I'd like to form chords with three fingers and/or the thumb so I am focussing on improving my 4th finger. Anyone have a strong preference here?

Perhaps I should just go get a plastic slide (ya'think???) and test it on my playing...
    This is all new to me,but I'm enjoying it.

2. ?&!

?&! Member

Most clear slides are actually glass. There is no real advantage to either metal or glass, it just comes down to personal preference. I use a short, thick, glass Dunlop 212 on my ring finger. I arrived at this combo after trying just about every different set up I could think of. I worked hard to learn with the slide on my pinky so I would have more fingers available for chords and fretted single note lines, but it just didn't work for me. I'd just recommend messing around with a bunch of different slides (I must've dropped a hundred bucks on them before I found one I liked) on various fingers, until you find what works for you. Try some different tunings as well. I settled on open-G, but it's good to know some open-E and standard tuning stuff as well. Have fun, and good luck!!!

3. Ransome

Ransome Supporting Member

I beg to differ, I have a Diamond Bottlenecks "Evolution" and I would never use anything else. Given that it is Stainless and Lead-Crystal you get the best of both worlds and the needed weight for sustain.

Yes, it's more expensive than other slides, but if you only have to by one rather than go through 10 or 15... do the math. Also Ian is a great person to deal with, he will make sure you are satisfied with his product.

As you can see I have a few slides...

[​IMG]

Ran$ome

4. ?&!

?&! Member

Well, I'm glad you found your perfect slide, but just because you prefer it doesn't mean it's gonna work for everyone. They look interesting, and I may try one. My comment about trying lots of different slides until you find one that works for you related more to the length and interior diamater of the slide (as well as what finger to wear it on), more than the material it is made from. So, a beginning slide player would still have to try multiple slides to find one that fits them, regardless of the brand/material. Out of curiosity, if you'll "never use anything else", why all the other slides?

5. Franklin

Franklin Member

I'm a Dunlop 218 user...

6. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

My own favourite slides are both home made. One is made of chromed brass which I cut and roundfiled to fit from a piece of piping on an old fashioned water tap, it is almost as heavy as a(Lowell George 11/16th socket) but without the useless bit on the end which makes sockets so top heavy and gives a nice grainy type of sustain I prefer this one for electric. The other one I use is a glass slide taken from the neck of an old Mateus Rose bottle and taken off with a great deal of trouble using a file and a petrol soaked piece of string. This one gives more of a sweeter sustain and I prefer it with my Dobro and accoustic. I have tried lots of slides but prefer these two most probably because I made them myself. One thing I will say however is that whichever slide you use it needs to be tight fitting on your finger. I personally have the slide on my pinkie and use my third finger on top of the slide for balance and my first and second fingers for damping overtones.

7. Ransome

Ransome Supporting Member

Why get rid of them? When my Evo is elsewhere, I will try the others... but I always go back to it. Your point about the material, was more of what I was speaking to. The Evo is the best of both worlds, really three worlds if you count weight.

No offense meant, it really is an amazing slide! And I have the picture was to show that I have tried a ton of `em.

Ran$ome

8. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i go for the "hound dog taylor". i use a piece of 3/4" copper pipe about 2" long. copper pipe is about a buck a foot, that 6 slides for a buck. the copper is soft, creates a lot of friction, so it has a thicker tone than you might think. it's also lightweight, so you're less likely to be bouncing it off your fretboard if you play slide on your fretting guitar. once again different strokes...

9. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

have a lot of slides find they all have pros and cons

Jetslide, it think that is what its called is a ring with a heavy wire and place to put you pinky, its one of the only ones that I can play all the time since it goes out of the way easily, just not a heavy slide the pinky pressure is what creates the slide. Sometimes I love some times I don't

Rock slides are nice metal slides, have several of them prefer the brass ones, the pinky one is nice and light, but does not cover a lot of strings, which is both good and bad, I will wear my ring finger slide on my pink and it covers more strings.

http://www.therockslide.com/new/main.php

Coracedant bottle is pretty commonly used, that is what Duane and Bruce trucks and warren haynes play.

I have a couple of ring slides that i got from Will Ray, they are good in that you can leave them on. They only cover one string two at most, I do wear one on my picking hand pinky and use it to slide, a pretty cool effect.

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

The reason I use the Dunlop 218 is for comfort. I use some tape on one end (on the inside) to get a sung fit. The coricidin bottles made my ring finger sweat too much. I like ceramic and metal slides as well as things like a bic lighter too, but the Dunlop 218 is easily replaceable.

I'm going to check out one of these suckers next:

http://www.myspace.com/brianfarmerguitars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cram

cram Member

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies.

I'm totally new to playing like this, but I can totally understand why the weight would lay on the string better with weight or more specifically -
    the weight would keep subtle movements in your finger from lifting it off the strings...

This may be a no brainer to folks posting in this thread, but this point spells it out for me...

Plus, I seriously have tried taking a peice of copper pipe to play with. I was bored one afternoon after cleaning my shop up and I had some larger diameter peices. I even filed the ends down. It sounded like crap because it doesn't weigh anything...

I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in being a geek enough to make my own, albeit a lesser effort and quality than yours. I will take your point about tight fitting into account. Perhaps one of the issues I have with the current brass slide is that it just fits better on the fatter third finger and flops around on my 4th....

Perhaps I will try the tape idea before handing a non snug slide off to another player...
    And those slides look like something I've smoked out of

Again - thank you for all of the replies!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  12. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I use a polished chrome Dunlop on my pinky. I tried to do the Coriciden bottle on my ring finger but wasn't comfortable with the finger or the glass. Using my pinky allows me to fret chords and play lines with my other fingers. I feel the chrome has a smoother feel across the strings than glass.

13. Swain

Swain Member

I like the short Joe Perry slide. I was using a Dunlop 212 for a long time. But, this ceramic slide just sounds better to me lately.

14. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Vinni "V-Picks" Smith's V-Slides are pretty cool - acrylic, somewhere between glass and ceramic in tone (to my ears), with a great grip on your finger even when you start getting sweaty but without the sogginess of the coriciden bottle or other close ended slides. I like lots of different slides, but I'm really digging the V-Slides.

15. Prof. O'Kaine

Prof. O'Kaine Member

you know, I've tried all sorts of slides. Oddly, I have found the one I like is that cheap chrome one that you get in the fender packages. If you'd like to hear what I do with a slide, go to my site (the link is at the bottom of this).

You can turn the video off, if you'd like to skip my introduction, by putting your cursor at the bottom of the video screen and you will see the pause button. Then go to the player, use the forward button and que to the track called, "beano slide" and " revo hvy"

PS there are also a load of other clips in lots of different styles if you're interested...

16. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Wow.
    It's all good. Use what works for you.
    For the record, I have bunches of slides, probably a drawer full at this point.
    The choice of different materials yield many different tones. Some are subtle, some pronounced. Feel and weight effect comfort and dexterity. Exterior smoothness yields more sustain. Interior dimension and construction produce the grip, suction and sometimes perspiration.
    Length determines how much span across the fretboard you can achieve.
    As you can see from my signature, I have worked with Ian at Diamond Bottlenecks on the Evolution Slide, and have had many discussions with him on various glass formulations and their attributes. There are few slide companies that approach their craft with as much care, knowledge and professionalism as Diamond, and the results are stellar.
    Vinni's V-Slide is an interesting new material that seems to combine the best attributes of pyrex with the durability and lightweight of plastic. Something new in an age-old craft.
    In metal I really like what comes out of the RockSlide shop. Their comfort cut, sizes, and heft make for a great brass slide. In ceramic, no one touches Luther at Big Heart for variety and choice of size shape and finish. For hand-blown lead crystal I still adore my Nunwells, but they are pricey, hard to find, and you have to try them on for fit since each one is unique. By the way, those that cut their own bottlenecks swear by Mateus.
    My personal preference is for hand-blown lead crystal that fits tightly, has good mass, with long smooth sustain. Weight is not an issue, I prefer heavy. But that will not work for everyone. The reason I accumulated a drawer ful of slides is by trying and buying everything thats out there, and then sticking with the ones that work best for a given application. Its a lot less expensive than amps, guitars, or fx pedals. Some of them are even tiny works of art, signed and numbered. Fun stuff.

17. Prof. O'Kaine

Prof. O'Kaine Member

i should prob. check out the other slides. There's just so little time, isn't there!

thanx a million for your input!

ps. there's also the issue of finidng a place that HAS all those slides to feel/check out. Preferable w/a bottle of hand sanitizer near by if loads of people have been at it!

;-)

18. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

By the way Prof- Welcome to TGP. Cool website. Dig your clips and your slide stuff is suitably gnarly for this old man. I wish there had been teaches like you when I was an eager young pup.
    I hear you about the lack of venues to check out slides. Very few indeed. Mandolin Bros on Staten Island carry Nunwells and a few others, Austin Music has a cool drawerful if you ask. I'm sure there are some places in Nashville. I'll be there in a few weeks and I'm sure to poke around. Luckily I get to travel a bit and I can usually pop for a cool slide when I run across one. The NAMM show is a goldmine. Luther from Big Heart usually takes a booth and brings boxloads. There was a new guy down in HallE this year who was cheep cheep cheep on hand blown stuff, then there's always the Dunlop booth but they don't sell them on the spot like the little guys. Boutique slides are even tougher to round up in one place than some of the amps we discuss around here. Unless yu know someone like me. LOL. Hardcore. It was coll when I gave a slide seminar at Tampa ToneFest a few years ago because I brought a box of slides and let the class try them all out to see what they liked. Kinda like trying on jeans or shoes. They gotta fit, feel good, and look cool too.
    Matt Smith usually teaches at NGW and he deals in Nunwells if you want to chase after the Rolls Royce of slides. But Diamonds are honestly just as good, and Ian is a pleasure to deal with. And despite my affiliation, the Ultimate slide is, just that. The best of all worlds.
    IMHO, of course. ;)

19. Prof. O'Kaine

Prof. O'Kaine Member

Thank you so kindly for checking out my stuff! I love NAMM, but it is SO BLOODY loud to really check out certain things. I once saw Lowden ac. guit.s right across from a company selling bass bins!!!!!????? Poor folks!

Anyhow, i'll make more of a concerted effort to check them (the slides booths) out this yr!

20. Swain

Swain Member

Yeah, Mateus bottles work well. But, I suggest finding a few empty ones. Because you don't want to have to actually drink that stuff! LOL And it may take a few tries, to get a good break.

To make your own:

Empty the bottle.

Score the bottleneck all the way around, near the base of the neck. Use a glass cutter from a hobby shop.

Tie a piece of thread around the bottleneck. Make sure the thread runs around the neck, while sitting inside the score line. Also, make sure there is a generous amount of loose thread dangling from the knot.

Put the bottle into the freezer, and let it freeze for a few hours. Overnight is perfect.

Take the frozen bottle from the freezer, and light the dangling thread-ends on fire.

When the thread has burned off, throw a small towel over the bottleneck and smack the score line against a counter tops's edge. Make sure you're holding both the neck and the bottle, through the towel. You don't want to get cut. You'll need the blood for later negotiations! :hide

Hopefully, it snaps off pretty cleanly. So now, just sand the rough bottleneck edge smooth.

The next step involves a bus ticket to Mississippi. And some negotiations with a creepy guy, on a dark intersection out in the country. But, that's a whole 'nother thing! :eek:

It's a fun project, even if you end up using a different Slide.