Slightly moving a strat bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gulliver, Jul 28, 2006.

1. gulliver

gulliver Member

On the fifth try, I finally found a Stat I’ve been able to take to. It’s a recent deluxe with S/S/S pickups. I’ve always felt Strat bridge pickups are too squacky and nasal, more so in the higher strings. I don’t want to switch to a humbucker as I think it will kill the dynamics.

Has anyone tried a pickguard with a different bridge pickup position. Maybe reversed so the pickup is under the high strings farther from the bridge? If so, does this smooth out the tone? Any other suggestions?

2. stucker

stucker Member

You should try a different bridge pickup.

I really like adding a bass plate to the bridge pickup. A Fralin (Vintage Hot or Blues Special) with the added bass plate sounds wonderful. You still get a very vintage sound but more even response across the strings. The increased bass will make your bridge pickup very useable and the middle/bridge position will still sound great.

If you want more gain try a Fralin SP43 (doesn't need a bass plate). It has more of a P90 characteristic. I don't think the middle/bridge combination sounds quite as good as the Vintage Hots or Blues Specials with the bass plate. Good luck!

Scott

3. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

If you have the swimming pool route under the pickguard, you could probably get someone to make you a strat pickguard with the angle reversed and try it out. If you have vintage routing you'd have to rout it out. The recent Deluxe strat probably has at least a Humbucker sized rout under the bridge pickup.

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

right - theres the Hendrix bridge pup thing with it reversed so it would be like the sound you get playing a lefty-righty like Jimi (and others) did

you can also run your pickups in series which will fatten them up in the inbetween settings or if you run a blender pot

5. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Running the bridge and middle in series is a cool trick. I've seen quite a few pickers with reverse angle strat bridge p'ups, but I've never played one myself. I'd like to check it out sometime. I've also seen Teles with lefty bridges (reverse angle p'ups), but have never heard one that I know of - I'm jonesing to put a std/vintage-type strat trem in my tele and mount the bridge p'up straight to the wood... I haven't brought myself to do it yet, however. Sorry for the OT/hijack...

6. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

Does having the bridge and middle pickup wired in series give a more bucker-like tone??

7. Don Rusk

right it IS a humbucker ( depending on the phase of the coils) with the coils spread apart so you get different phase cancelations a nd notches than when they are right next to each other, and

you can also do the reverse to a Humbucker by putting the coils in parrallel instead of series (less output and less thick)

the first person I saw with a reverse strat bridge pup was Trower....

8. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

Could you compare the sound of two singles in series with a regular old strat bridge bucker?

9. n8b

n8b Member

I have a G&L with the swimming pool route, so I had a pickguard made with the bridge p/u reversed. I also switched the neck tone control so that it affects the bridge p/u instead (I barely used the tone control on the neck, so this made more sense to me). The combo made the bridge p/u much more useable.

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

Well, looking at my Deluxe Strat S-1 system's manual, it looks like I can switch the middle and bridge from series to parallel on the fly by pressing the button within the volume control.

http://www.fender.com/products/s1/

I have to say, the difference is pretty much unnoticeable. There is a slight difference in the hum sound (not any more or less, just a change), so I feel it's doing it's job, but no real difference in guitar tone.

I retract the above, as that comparison includes a special capacitor with one of the pickups. The actual series to parallel comparison can be done by pushing in the switch AND changing from #2 to #1 position. Yes, there is a big difference, much darker sounding but still having a bit of a honk.

Anyone thinking of making Strat pickup wiring changes should check out the S-1 system on a Deluxe Strat in a music store. With the manual, it can teach you the differences of the various mods.

I think using the #2 position is the solution to my nasal tone. I now have my effects and amp set up for the neck pickup, so I think I'm getting most of the nasal tone by design. My PRS humbucker is even nasal, so it may not be all the guitar's fault.

Thanks for all the help so far, I still may look into changing something ... pickguard or pickup.

11. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

Stucker, Could you describe what a bass plate is..I'm not familiar with the term...Thanks!!

12. Don Rusk

Well it kind of the opposite of the usual in between sounds of a strat

in series its louder and fatter........

if you played an old Danolectro or Silvertone double lipstick
    the middle pickup postiion is series

one of the sweetest tones I ever got was running neck and bridge EMG strat pups in series - your NOT supposed to do this , but the neck pup preamp overdrives the bridge pup preamp so the pickups themselves are lightly distorting and compressing, great Gilmourish tones.....