Sligo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tjbackstage, Aug 22, 2008.

1. tjbackstage

tjbackstage Member

I've been looking for a new amp to replace my crappy Blues Jr for a while now and am on a budget of $800-$850 and have found nothing that's good and handwired (except for the Gibson GA-20RVT that I didn't like). I recently came upon the Sligo amps. Steve's copy of the tweed Deluxe seems to be exactly what I need, the only problem is that there's no way for me to try one of these because I'm on the opposite coast! It appears to be a built Weber kit and he has great reviews on flea-bay and Harmony Centeral, but does anybody else have experience with these amps? I've used tweed Deluxes (Victoria, Fender RI) before and like the tone, but does the Sligo break up earlier or later? It appears to be louder than other Deluxes as well, am I correct? I'd like to order this in the next day or so, so please let me know your thoughts. Here's a link to one he has on flea-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250284781517&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Seriously...talk to this guy.

http://www.celticamplifiers.com/

I was ready to order from him late last year but a friend offered to build one for me.

His 5E3 uses far better components than the Weber kit and it's $800.00. He's also a nice and reputable guy.

Good luck in your search.

3. Faustine Amps

Faustine Amps Member

This may not seem appropriate coming from another amp builder (and I hope I'm not breaking any TGP rules), but if we can forget about that and I can put on my "inspector" badge for a moment, I'd like to offer an opinion for whatever it's worth.

I don't know anything about Sligo or Celtic amplifiers or the guys who build them, and I don't build $800 amps, so I'm not a competitor in that market. But, as someone who has been designing and building electronic assemblies of one type or another for over 30 years (a lot of that to military and NASA specifications), I can discern from the pictures what looks like decent build quality and good soldering and wire routing techniques.

Judging by that criteria alone, if I had to chose between the two amps mentioned above, I would choose the Celtic amp. They're both priced the same but that one looks like it was built by someone with more electronic assembly experience and more attention to detail. It also has the tweed sealed with lacquer or polyurethane, so it's not going to get dirty, stained or frayed as easily as an unsealed tweed finish.

As for how either of them sound, I can't make any judgment. If you have no way of playing or hearing either amp, but they are essentially the same circuit, the pictures are the only criteria to make a judgment.

That's my 2 centavos.

Regards,
    Tim Gregoire

4. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

My advice would be to avoid sligo and check out Stu-Daddy or Collins Amps. Stu-Daddy builds a deluxe with mercury magnetics and 3 knob reverb for 1000 and he will do it sans reverb for 800. Craig at Collins can also build you one in the same price range and he has a lot of custom options to choose from. Clark also builds a scaled down version of his deluxe for 1000 which I hear are pretty good as well.

5. tjbackstage

tjbackstage Member

I'm just going to not get a Sligo or any of those other things. I'm sick of making bad choices and I'd like to try something out if I'm to spend that much money. I played a Victoria 20112 (tweed Deluxe copy) today and I'm just going to save up for that. Anybody against those?