• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

SLM era Ampeg any good?

Creighton

I have a chance to buy an "SLM era" (1998) Ampeg SVT-CL 300 watt head for a decent price and would like to know if it is comparable in build quality and tone to a modern SVT-CL? It is priced less than a modern used SVT-CL. I am not able to play the amp, so looking for some input from anyone knowledgable about this.

Last edited:

Endr_rpm

Try posting on Talkbass about this. I know the SLM output has a number of questions around it, but overall, I think it was model by model.

Floyd Eye

I have a 2006. IMO it's way better than a modern CL. Unless you buy a Heritage. SLM was a good era for Ampeg amps. My amp tech is the best guy around and was an engineer at SLM. Now there is a contingent of folks that dislike the SLM era 810s ( Dark era), but I have one and while I like my 2013 Heritage 810 better, I still love my 2006 "Dark era" cab and prefer it sometimes. The only downside I can see is that it's particle board, but I don't leave it out in the rain so...

So yeah, if you can get a 2008 for a good price jump on it. You won't be disappointed. Take it to a tech and have it checked out if you can. Get you a sextuplet of NOS Svetlana 6550B's and finally hear the sound that's in your head.

Trending Topics