SLO 100 owners, a question

M

Member 1963

I'm in the process of redesigning the preamp in an amp i built to resemble the lead channel of the SLO. At this point the OD is quite nice, but i fear this design is not as good as i need as far as it's ability to get chimey and clean when you roll your volume on the guitar down which is how i get my cleaner tones. I have the gain set so it's not real overdriven, just where i kept it at before i redesigned it. And then it cleaned up really nice. I'm just trying to determine if it's worth proceeding because it's not at all exactly like the SLO, it;s just in the same basic form with 4 stages including a cold bias stage. If the SLO does clean up well on the lead channel I;d be more inclined to carry on and bring it closer to the same spec. But if not i don't want to waste my time because i absolutely need those roll back cleans. I mean, it DOES do that but not as well as it did before i started redesigning the preamp.

FourT6and2

Silver Supporting Member
If you want some nice high-gain that will clean up well, ditch the cold clipper and try a diode/zenner setup like a typical Jose Master. Once you roll your guitar volume down, the signal drops below the ceiling required to get the diodes to clip. And your signal cleans up really well.

rstites

The SLO lead channel cleans up ok if you keep the gain really low. However, I always have used the clean channel for clean. FWIW, I run it high gain on crunch mode, and it cleans up very nicely with a rolled off volume.

If you need that clean on the OD channel, it's not going to happen if you don't keep the gain very low with vintage level pickups. It works there.

M

Member 1963

If you want some nice high-gain that will clean up well, ditch the cold clipper and try a diode/zenner setup like a typical Jose Master. Once you roll your guitar volume down, the signal drops below the ceiling required to get the diodes to clip. And your signal cleans up really well.
Not a bad idea. I always like the diode clipping in marshalls and come to think of it those cleaned up really nice. I've thought about trying that but not lately and not for this reason. I think i will try that, thanks.

The SLO lead channel cleans up ok if you keep the gain really low. However, I always have used the clean channel for clean. FWIW, I run it high gain on crunch mode, and it cleans up very nicely with a rolled off volume.

If you need that clean on the OD channel, it's not going to happen if you don't keep the gain very low with vintage level pickups. It works there.

I don;t use a ton of gain, just maybe what you'd call classic rock levels of gain. And most of my guitars are low output vintage single coils.

Chuckracer

Silver Supporting Member
I had Marshalls with diode clipping and could hear the diodes trying to decide whether or not to clip when rolling back the volume for clean stuff. Horrible.

FourT6and2

Silver Supporting Member
I had Marshalls with diode clipping and could hear the diodes trying to decide whether or not to clip when rolling back the volume for clean stuff. Horrible.

That has not been my experience. I have two amps sitting in front of me right now with diodes and they both clean up just fine when you roll your guitar volume down. As always, every amp/circuit is going to respond slightly different. There are a lot of factors at play here. For example, the type of diodes you use and their values...

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom