SLO and HR100 comparison

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JackButler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

So been playing a HR100+ with mods since summer, love it and finally stepped up to the big daddy SLO. I actually swapped tubes directly over.
    I love the cleans on the SLO much more, but I think the HR lead channel is actually more a sweeter tone than the SLO. How the heck can this be? SLO nastier, where the HR more "classic" should I say.
    Anyone play both and have any opinions? Maybe I have to keep them both!

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Once one is different from another, each difference has it's pluses and minuses.

It's just a question if they are really different enough to keep 2. My guess is that unless you have tons of amps, you'll land up picking one.

Highly unlikely that if you were doing a 2 amp gig, you would take 2 Soldanos.

That being said, Soldanos have been in my stable for 12 years now and I really give credit to Mike Soldano for creating a rock standard for tone. The SLO has been in production for 20 years now as basically the same amp. And look at the price on a used one. Well done Mike.:RoCkIn

3. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

Wow, what a temptation: keeping both amps. Soldanos rule the universe! These days I use a Dr. Z, but only because I'm not playing high gain music anymore.

I've owned an HR100+ and I still have an HR50, but I've never played through an SLO.

However, maybe what you're hearing is the difference in transformers and other components. I'm guessing the Mercury Magnetics xformers in the HR are less hi-fi than the $$$$$ DeYoungs that are in the SLO, so maybe the HR sounds a little "blurrier" and less "articulate" and hence warmer/sweeter. Same thing with the components. Doesn't the SLO use higher grade components as well?

Maybe the DeYoungs are revealing deficiencies in the tubes that were masked by the Mercurys.

I'm wondering also if maybe you have to change your technique, esp. in terms of your attack? Again, if the DeYoungs are hi-fi and articulate, you might not need the same kind of pick or finger pressure/angle to make the transients jump out.

This is all wild speculation. I'm not slamming your playing, btw. I'm just thinking that the different transformers and higher-grade components are going to affect how the amp reacts to the same tubes, speakers, guitar, pickups, player, EQ settings.

Let us know how this all turns out. I'm curious.

:BEER

4. studiodunn

studiodunn Silver Supporting Member

yeah, 20 years and still holding value. No modern high-gainer has that going.

Jack - were you winding the amps up?

I always thought my Slo sounded like....well a Slo, when it was loud through a 4x12. Just sonic and huge.
    The HR50+ I had sounded great through a 2x12 dimed, but still wasn't the searing gain of the Slo.

Both are great amps.

5. JackButler

Running them around 7 on the masters. SLO does have more articulation, I'm just hearing more gain, even with it backed down.
    I know there are variables here, but sorta confused...in a good way.
    I do use alls orts of left and right hand teciniques, mostly Bluesy Rock. I can see how that might come into play if basically had the heavy metal right hand, etc but that isn't the case here.
    Damn, I think I want a cross between the two amps! If the HR had the cleans of the SLO I would keep her. The mere size of one of the trannies is major, so that is obviosuly playing into the bigger clean tones.
    While I'm at a tough spot, it is fun! I too doubt two similar Soldanos would be worth keeping and when I do a/b it would be a completely different amp.
    In all actuality, the two amps would be hard pressed to tell the difference (same tubes, bias, etc.) if I didn't have them side-by-side, cept for the bigger cleans on the SLO.
    Hmm, a Soldano rig for dive bars and one for better gigs! Imagine when it pans out the SLO will easily win, but then again why sell off the HR just to buy another amp I won't use either.

6. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i owuld just sell the SLO to me and keep the hotrod,there,ive made ya mind up for ya!

7. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

I know I'll be deemed unfit for this forum but...I much prefer the HR series over the SLO's............Ducking,body armor suit donned.....hehe :rolleyes:

8. JackButler

Why is that Kurt, curious? I think my HR is awesome.

9. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't

Owned them both about 12 years ago.

Still have the SLO.

Matt