SLO Love!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Aug 11, 2005.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Played a SLO at a Guitar Center of all places.

What a great sounding amp! With a Lester Classic, no reverb, nothing, it was one of the best, most detailed, (dare I say) 3D dist's that I have ever heard. Got so caught up I never even went to the clean channel.

And LOUD. Had the master at 1:00, and it was still killing the room.

Wow. I now have GAS. I'll be trying an Orange RockerVerb 50 tomorrow.

Damn. What a sound...I still hear it.

Anyone here own one?

2. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I have one and use it with my band. The bottom is lacking a bit and I will get the depth mod soon. The weakest link on this amp is the loop. If you like time based efx look for a different amp. Or buy a second rig for a wet side of a wet/dry rig.

Had I known the loop was so fickle I would not have bought the amp. Anything and I mean anything in loop kills that wonderful tone you heard in the store. There are other amps out there in this price range (and lower) that can match this amp AND have a working efx loop AND don't need mods ($$$) to make up for the bottom end.

Now, with all the negative crap first 1) The amp cuts a band mix perfectly, 2) the tone is very nice, 3) the clean is good enough for rock 4) with the mods ($$$) it could your pefect amp.

Mark

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

The depth mod makes a HUGE difference. As you turn the amp up, you actually have to turn the depth down!

I have not tried the loop, but I got the mod that takes the loop out of the circuit all together, which is how I run the amp. It definitely makes the amp sound a bit fuller and "spongier" under your fingers. That said, I don't use much in the way of time based effects, so the loop is not really an issue for me.

It does have an adjustable line out, so you can run a wet dry rig pretty easily.

Lastly. if you use an EQ pedal to scoop out the mids, you would be amazed at how very cool the cleans can sound, especially in crunch mode with the gain turned down, and the master turned up. Very cool!

I am running mine through a THD 2x12 with Fane Alnico Blues, and they sound incredible with this amp!!!

I really love my SLO. I think it is one of the best straight ahead rock amps made!

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Warren Haynes uses one and he has probably IMO the best tone of any player on the planet. But your right...........100w is way too much for me. If they come out with a 50 watter or even better a 18 watter..............I'm there!! :dude

5. JWR

JWR Member

The Hot Rod 50. I just bought one. Sounds good and it meets my lower volume needs. The low end is a bit different than I am used to but I'm adjusting.

6. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Depth knob is a must for this amp it changes it 100% here is the thing Mike are you listening, the loop sucks ass and so does the clean channel, none of the mods help this at all, if you like delay its gotta go in the loop, other makers of high gain amps have created great clean tones and kick ass loops (ie Egnater MOD100 and H&K Triamp MK2, **** even my TSL). The gain channel is awesome (with the depth mod which should just be standard feature.) The SLO build quality is awesome.

SLO's would sell alot better if they had the following
    1-kick ass loop
    2-a clean channel that doesnt sound thin and ****** (keep telling yourself its passable, it aint I have owned like 5 of these amps sold every one for this reason)
    3-depth mod
    4-a boost on each channel (with a gain control)

Haynes mod really does virtually nothing, thats all marketing BS, Warren's tone rocks true, but that aint cause of the Haynes mod.

Otherwise just get the Avenger since its way cheaper has no loop and has no clean channel both of which are unusable.

Your mileage may vary

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Virtually nothing? If you can't hear the difference, it doesn't mean it isn't there. Actually, if you don't hear a big decrease in treble with the Haynes, I would suspect you've lost much of your high end hearing.

8. jharpersj

What I meant about the Haynes mod was this, yes it rolls off the high end on lower gain settings, of course I can hear that, could you not just roll back the treble and or pres. for the same thing at that point ? you dont need the mod for that and also it loses its effect when you goose up the gain, which is what the SLO is all about anyways. But everyone has to have this mod yet most players never even use it they just want is cause its the Warren Haynes mod and they can say my SLO has the Haynes mod, the depth mod and the scoop switch when they put it on ebay. Its always some majic mod or setting or some other boutique builder saying how for $4K you can nail the brown sound of EVH or EJ's violin tone, but in reality alot of the classic players just practiced their ass off (instead of posting to the gear page) EVH used a stock Marshall, Warren many times uses a Marshall, my point was that type of hype is more geared to the marketing thing. Also why does a $3K amp have to be modded ? all thats **** should be standard. Maybe thats why for the most part SLO's are off the map yet if Mike made just a few tweaks that amp would be the ****. Anyways sorry for the rambling y'all have a nice weekend !

9. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I have to agree.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well....This stuff is certainly subjective, and you are entitled to your opinion, but if the SLO is off the map, then why does just about every major recording studio have one? In addition, if the SLO is off the amp, then why is there still a 6 week wait to get one built for you? While it is not all things to all people, it is a great sounding amp for what it does.

Certainly not being defensive here, because I like mine, and I could really care less whether it is on the map or not.

11. jharpersj

Thing is I dig the SLO but for the price should be more than a 1 sound amp with a **** loop that needs all the mods to be even cool, a SLO without the depth mod is uncool. Every major studio has a POD too so ............., really I am just saying update the SLO to have a swithcable kick ass loop, a killer clean and boost on both channels or even wilder how about 3. Every major high gain builder now has this, and include all the mods as standard, no onto a different not the AVenger rages, really cool amp

12. matte

matte Senior Member

Hey Jim! Great to see you up on the boards. Can't wait to check out an Avenger.

13. lv

lv Supporting Member

It's not the same as rolling the treble down - you can roll the treble completely off and the mod will *still* make it darker and smoother - and it has a noticeable effect on the tone all the way up to 6 on the gain knob, which is a still a decent amount of gain. It sounds like you haven't really spent a lot of time with the amp that had those mods, or maybe you just can't hear them.

Either way, I agree they should be standard, I'm not sure why at this point Mike doesn't at least silk screen the chassis for the mods since over half of them are ordered that way anyway. I love SLO's with those two mods, but for half the price you can get an Avenger that has all the tone and doesn't need any mods as long as you don't mind giving up the crunch/loop and ok with a little more noise.

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Wow. Guess it's a good thing I spoke here.

Never realized the loop sucks...not good. And I would need a minimum of that clean channel for different tones.

What other amps would approximate this great dist that would be at a lower price point?