SLO vs CAE OD100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by John55, Jan 15, 2008.

1. John55

John55 Member

Well, I was all set to go hunting for a nice used SLO but then I started reading about the CAE amps in their various configurations. I "think" the model that would interest me is the Classic+. Anyone here care to offer some insight into how these amps compare? Does the OD100 compress as much/more than the SLO? How about the amount of gain and most importantly, the clarity of the notes while in lead mode? I've owned an SLO so I know what to expect, but have never even seen one of the CAE amps, much less played one.

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

I can only comment on the OD100 standard and the OD100SH/SE. I can only say that for me, they are in the highest league of amplifiers. They are the only amps that have a great clean channel and great overdrive channel, that I have found... :)

Try doing some searches and you will find a good bit of info on the OD100 amps. Again, I have only played the Standard and the SH/SE versions. The SE version has WAY more gain and I hear that one of the most recent mods makes the SE side more friendly so I guess I really should get it in for the most recent updates, only problem is shipping that bastard....

To my ears, the SE is a very articulate overdrive that does NOT mask your playing at all, from what I hear, the most recent mods make the overdrive more "open" sounding but I think my version sounds pretty open already. I am using "open" to mean, not compressed and more 3-dimensional if that makes sense.

Good luck,

Chris

PS The OD100 series all take pedals extremely well too so.....

3. bailnout

bailnout Member

Never owned an SLO but played a few. Owned an OD100SH with EL34s and Plexi OT. If I were shopping, I'd be looking at the OD100 line over the SLO. Seemed like a way more versitile amp to me. I'll +1 to count's statement that it has a great clean channel and great overdrive channel in one amp. And I mean either channel would make an exceptional single channel amp with very few peers. With the OD100 you get them both in one box!

SLO's have always felt like a one-trick-pony to me. They do that one trick sooooo well. But I like the OD100 for that trick even better. YMMV. Try to get to a shop that's carrying the OD100 in as many variations as possible and crank one up.

4. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

my old rack slo would whomp and stomp any amp in its way...i miss it..

it was from 1988..a great year...well for amps anyway

5. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

I'd try before I buy if I were you. Both amps you mentioned are very peculiar sounding. Many people hate the SLO. Many people have bought the OD100 based on the hype it received in the past years only to resell it as fast possible. I tried the OD100 and wasn't convinced by the lead channel. The clean channel was very nice though. My tweaked rackmount SLO isn't going anywhere !! :cool:

6. John55

John55 Member

I'm not worried too much about the clean channel...on either amp. My SLO's crunch channel was just fine as a clean sound. Most of what I play is blues or classic rock from the early 70s to the early 80s. No metal or shred music. I want the amp to be very touch sensitive and clean up well with the volume knob, but when I open it up I'm after a mean, snarly aggressive sound that isn't too compressed. Prefer it to be very hot rodded Marshall oriented in the tone dept.

7. mdsmith64

mdsmith64 Supporting Member

This is actually outstanding advice. I realize it's not always practicle and I admit I've actually bought an amp sight unheard (wasn't dissappointed though - Cornford Hellcat). I can't tell you many times I've been shocked by how an amp sounded and felt when I finally got to play one myself.

Best Regards,

Mike.

8. samhill

samhill Member

I haven't owned an SLO but I've tried one. I do own an OD100se+. I love it.

Here's a vid clip of a show we did this summer, there are others I've done on YouTube as well, feel free to check them out.

Just so you know, in the clip I am using a PRS SC with EMG 85(bridge). In the rack is a Decimator, G-Force, GCX Switcher, Phase 90 and Zakk O/D and a wireless. I am using a Palmer PDI09 to go mono to the FOH. Two 4x12 Mesa's with V30's and Beam Blockers. For most of the song I am using Ch2 Boosted. Occasionally I kick in an MXR Zakk O/D(set fairly low)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ok-BRoEX_tY

Mark

9. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I own both the SLO and the OD100 SE+ and love them both. The OD100 has a better clean channel but you can't get it to sound like the SLO. Can't really say which one I'd keep if I had to sell one. I guess if you are looking for a great clean to go with awesome overdrive pick the OD100.

Chuck

10. John55

John55 Member

procos,
    what did you mean by saying you couldn't get the clean channel on the OD100 to sound like the SLO? I thought it has a boost feature for the clean side, this should make it fairly crunchy...or am I confused!

11. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i vote for the slo

but i am biased

i had a friend with a suhr od100

too stiff for me.

12. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

I've played several SLOs and owned an OD100SH/SE. The OD100SE for me was a much more versatile amp, and the lead channel had a similar preamp gain level to the SLO, but the voicing was more "Marshall-dark". I needed to up the presence a bit to get it close to SLO territory.

The SLO is a much brighter, more cutting amp. The voicing is a love or hate thing. It's definitely not as versatile and the clean channel is not nearly as good as the clean on the OD100.

Also the fx loop on the OD100 was definitely the better of the two, if that is a factor for you. I've not played a Classic+, but it has less gain than the SE+, but still plenty, with the standard clean (which sounds great).

13. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Not as big a fan of the SLO as I am the OD100 (I have a Standard that just got tweaked & it's nifty).

With John Suhr's rep and all that he's doing with both the CAE and Badger lines (as well as his superb guitars), I think that he's got all the tones covered with the Standard/SE/Classic models. Well-made & layed out, they also are a breeze to retube or fiddle with. The FX loop and added rear controls give it (I feel) an edge. But get yourself into a hi-end place and compare. It's your ears after all. Go to Harmony Central and see who's amp gets the better reviews too for an added consensus.

14. sparkle**

sparkle** Member

OD100se+.

I would say a bit more "marshall" gain is there if you need it... Has the Boost switch...works nice...If you can find a convert you can the thump switch on the back...helps a little in the low volume settings to give it some...thump.

The clean channel takes pedals very well... so with a pedal and the boost function it is like 4 channels...

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I finally tried an SLO-100. The person letting me try had anther amp (skyldstrup, I may have the spelling wrong) that he said sounded very similar to him.

To me it was night and day, I did a blind test even and could pick the SLO every time. I don't think it is because I have such fantastic hearing, quite the opposite...I have tinittus and I don't know which freqs. or how, but I think I am sensitive to certain frequencies...EVEN some I love (my Deluxe Reverb II I love the sound, but after half hour at low volume, my ears are roaring) but the SLO is like a balm on my ears. I played at decently high volume and no roar...

I think this is like with the Zendrive, which is the only pedal I know that cuts like it does, even though others say "it has a mid-hump, like many TS'es" etc.... I want (now...geez I gotta stop reading this forum) now to try a CAE, and a Fuchs tripledrive before deciding, but I KNOW for sure the SLO100 is pretty much perfect for me....if the others can do that with the "healing" of my ears while playing, it'll be a tough decision.

By the way, thanks for this thread (in a way :rotflmao) it was between SLO100 and whenver I could arrange to try a Fuchs, now I gotta try three fantastic amps, HEH!

16. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

I have owned a SLO100 and an OD100 std, the clean channel on the OD is not miles better it's just different, it can get more super clean and Fendery than the Soldano but the SLO's clean sounds pretty damn good to me.

The lead channel though is no contest for me, it's SLO all the way. I have never heard a better lead channel than an SLO when it gets cooking. At lower volumes (speaking levels) the OD100 sounds fuller because of it's amazing master volume, the SLO needs to be a bit louder.
    The thing about the OD100 that I could not get use to is the voicing of the OD channel, it is a kind of dry sounding distortion and not pleasing to me ears whereas the SLO100 has overtones for days and cuts well but does not fatigue my ears like the OD100.

17. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

you need to try the od classic +. very marshally. the standard is more modern in its voicing. never played a SLO but the classic + is the closest suhr to what you say you're looking for.

18. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

That mirrors exactly my own experience. Also, I must add that the crunch channel of the SLO (clean channel set to crunch) takes pedals very well. Just least night a rehearsal, I was playing the crunch channel at low gain with a Red Llama fuzz pushing it and the tone on the neck pickup was absolutely mind-blowing. Smooth and liquid yet agressive with pinch harmonics jumping out the fretboard... :RoCkIn

19. John55

John55 Member

I used to love that quality about my SLO, no ear fatigue. Hard, brittle and dry are good adjectives for what my ears have told me I'm NOT looking for! I also prefer an amp that doesn't have that hard feel to it, a bit more on the spongy side is what I'm used to.

20. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

the only othe ramp that has that ..girth is a cornford rk100...ill likely get the cornford again...since rack slos are hard to find