1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Slostortion vs. Plextortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ulbe, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ulbe

ulbe Member

Anyone compate these two? For what I need, it looks like the Plextortion is right on the money, but the added boost of the Slostortion makes it more usable on a gig.

Could the Slostortion get the 80's rock sounds that the Plextortion does?

2. standingzero

standingzero Member

I have the SLO and had a Pinnacle. The SLO doesn't get very bitey and doesn't have as an immediate sounding attack as a Marshall in a box. If you want Lynch style rock sounds you'd be fine, but it won't do a good 80s hair tone or GNR tone.

3. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

i owned the SLOstortion for about 2 weeks. The boost was so unusable to me. It was way too loud. IMO it's not a very good/controlled boost.

Also it's fizzy... I hate fizz.

4. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

The gain ranges of each pedal are similar, but the SLO doesn't have that upper-midrange bark of a Marshall, so it's not really a replacement for a Marshall-toned pedal. I personally like that, since the "Marshall sound" is a bit ubiquetous. You can play 80s rock for sure, but you won't be nailing any classic tones.

I'll agree with Wretched that the boost is a bit overpowered. I don't find it too hard to control but would never run in past 9:00am. Watch out if you accidentally kick the knob up when trying to hit the switch.

PS: I tried the SLO side by side with The Elements and thought the Dr Scientist darling was way fizzier.

5. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

:agree

Especially about the fizz. There were too many compromises to try to achieve the fat Soldano tone in a pedal, IMO. Was really disappointed by that pedal, as I had high hopes for it.

6. kstrat62

kstrat62 Supporting Member

I really like Wampler pedals(have 2 on my board) but I took a hit on the Slo, it failed to fit my needs miserably. I would guess only about 20% of the people who bought one really liked it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  7. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

So far I've been pretty happy with my Slostortion. I like the boost on it but do agree that it gets way too loud too quick. I have to keep the dial super low and its sometimes is hard to dial in the right boost level due to this. I still want to try a Plextortion. Is Brian planning on releasing a newer version of it??

8. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love Brian's pedals also!! But the Slo didn't work for me either, to much high-end!! I love the sweetening effect of the boost, but if I set it to boost my other pedals it was way to loud when I stomped on the SLO. I would by the Boost section in its own box though.............if anybody cares!

9. a1briz

a1briz Silver Supporting Member

Had both. My vote is the plextortion also. SLOstortion was good too, but I found it needed more tweaking. The plextortion is almost hard to get it to sound bad imo.