Slotted bridges and non slotted pins...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by schwa, Feb 10, 2015.

1. schwa

schwa Member

Most guitars these days come with slotted pins - heck, I didn't know there were un-slotted ones until recently. :hide Collings is a notable exception, their bridges are slotted and it's worth mentioning that Martin used to do it.

Over at the unofficial Martin forum, it seems a lot of folks retrofit their guitars with slotted bridges/un-slotted pins.

What does TGP think of this mod? Worthwhile or snake oil?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

david collins has taught a lot of us on TGP about why unslotted pins are way better, and it's the straight dope!

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I've never had any issue with my bridge, plate, or pins just the way they came from the shop, and see no reason to modify them. Others think differently.

4. schwa

schwa Member

A cool thread - I've seen some others with similar content, but not that one.

I'm glad you have had a good experience with your stock guitars. It does seem like there are some folks who have had some issues (as shown in the linked thread). I wonder if you think the materials used for the bridge, plate or pins makes any difference.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I'm sure materials make a difference ... bridge plate wood must be hard but not heavy, the pins need to fit well (better than most fit from the factory), and they must be restrung properly. With the exception of an old Takamine, all my guitars are what most would consider "up-scale", so the materials used are quite good.

6. schwa

schwa Member

Do you fit the pins on your guitars after the factory fit? What do you change?

7. kirkw

kirkw Supporting Member

If it plastic pins then yeah, I put in bone or ebony.
    IMHO, slotted vs. unslotted isn't a tone issue. I've had dozens of vintage acoustics and pin hole can get reamed out pretty bad. Going to unslotted pins seems to keep those holes in better condition for a longer time.

8. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

If I don't like the way they fit I might touch up the pin holes with a reamer. I'm also one of those guys who always replaces pins in the same hole when changing strings.