Slow Beckish with two tracks....

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Jayson Chance, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Ok, I'm *not* a jazzer at all.... [​IMG]
    But this track is a fun one to play around with.

I added two tracks to the backing, a rhythm and a solo. Just felt like a nice clean, chorus guitar helped fill out the track.

Here's the gear:

Dunlavey Custom Strat w/Fralins- Keeley Compressor, Boss DD-3 - MAZ 38 2 12" combo w/ Weber mini-Mass attenuator.

The Rhythm track was position 4, with Fulltone Choralflange added. The mic'ed speaker is the Weber Silver Bell.

The solo pass is neck position, and everything else is the same, minus the Choralflange. The mic'ed speaker is the Weber Blue Dog. SM57 was used, straight into sound card. No effects or added compression, etc.

The Dr Z's sound great overdriven, but these will hopefully show how nice the cleans can be...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=465770

JC

2. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Nice! Very tastefully done. And I was listening through the tinny speakers on my monitor. When I get some time later I'll plug in the headphones for a better listen.

3. scottl

scottl Member

Hey Jayson,

I wish I was *no* country picker the way you are *no* jazzer!!

Very tasteful job! Nice articulation! Clear tones. Me likey......

Scott

4. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

How it's done, once again!!!

5. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Oh, stop it Scott. :rolleyes:The way you play, you can do whatever you want to do. I'm sure if you went through a "country" phase, you'd probably scare a bunch of folks down here.. :)

Thanks for the kind words.... :BEER

JC

www.myspace.com/jaysonchance

6. Normster

Normster Member

Nice touch throwing down a rhythm track. Tasty solo too! :)

7. jimijam

jimijam Member

Very soothing Jayson. Love those clean tones your getting out of that Z
    I have some studio monitors I am playing this thru and it is flawless to my ears more or less.
    That Dr Z able to keep up in a band with great headroom? was this a live take?
    Good JOB!

8. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Hoy-hoy! Jason -enjoyn' yer clips--where'd ya get the groove/BT for
    "Rhomba Blues w/slide" ??????

thats impossible to find as a drum loop & programming the groove is next to impossible.....

oh yeah and who is the "
    Dunlavey" guitarcompany. """??

jf

9. scottl

scottl Member

10. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

doh!!! -no wunder is right!! -i gots it. thanks a bunch

j

11. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Hey, John. Thanks for the kind words....

I got that backing, along with several others, by signing up here:

http://www.online-discussion.com/NothingButClips/

Here's the scoop on Dunlavey guitars-

Don Dunlavey is a luthier in Atlanta, Ga. Has been playing, building, and repairing guitars for over 40 years. He's a guy that grew up during the "HeyDay" of Carpicorn Records in Macon, Ga. Was around all kinds of heavies like the Allmans, Otis Redding, Marshall Tucker, etc. Played in several bands & toured a lot during that era. AMAZING player, and one of my biggest influences.
    He builds guitars one at a time, and takes forever...LOL Has a shop on the south side of Atlanta, and is arguably "the" guy in that area. His main thing is doing fret & finish work (unreal fret jobs, by the way, and EXPENSIVE!! HA HA), along with repair accounts at lots of music stroes in the ATL. Also spent a big part of his career as an antique furniture repairman & restorer. The guy just has this amazing gift with wood.
    We've all seen Les Pauls with broken headstocks, and seen guys do great jobs fixing them. But he's the only one I've ever seen that could honestly fool a collector, if he were so inclined (which he's not, he's as brutally honest and straight-up as you'd ever find.) But I've seen a couple of broken LP headstocks he's done, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to tell.
    He's one of those guys that is so meticulous, that every detail of your guitar is going to be "right" before it leaves his shop.
    He cuts the necks and body's from bare wood, and only uses the best wood he can find (one and 2-piece ash & alder bodies, Brazillian rosewood fretboards, etc.) Then uses top-notch hardware, like Fralin pickups, Callaham bridges, etc.
    I just can't say enough good things about him. He has a pretty devoted following of pro players around the southeast that won't give up their Dunlavey's unless you pried them from their cold dead fingers...LOL
    Two things he's not-
    FAST or CHEAP. And he will tell you this! He builds instruments that you will have the rest of your life. Typically, wait time on a Strat or Tele is minimum 4-6 months. He's not real big into web advertising, and has a really, REALLY basic little website. Mainly a "word of mouth" guy. Not interested in high-production, etc.
    All I know is lots of big players here in Nashville have marveled over my guitars whenever they've played them. "Dude, what kind of guitar is that??" "Where can I get one??" "Who is Dunlavey????"

You can hear clips from his CD and red his bio here:

http://www.evor.com/dunlavey.html

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/dunlavey/from/evor2

His tiny website is here:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/frets21/index.htm

JC

www.myspace.com/jaysonchance

12. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Will Dr.Z's keep up with a band??? Wow, have you played one?? LOL

Z's are LOUD. If something like a MAZ 38 Sr can't keep up with your band, then there's a serious volume problem there. Unless you are using 100 watt 1/2 stacks and playing stadiums.....

I've used my MAZ 18 Jr combo with 2 10"s on several tours, and it will keep up in most situations. I've even used it outdoors by itself on several occasions.

My MAZ 38 combo with 2 12's is for when I need more, more, more. Big, and fat.
    I'd say, volume wise, it's along the Super Reverb/ Vibroverb lines, but sounds more like a cross between an AC30 and a Fender.

I use my Z's on tour, but also on in-town gigs in Nashville where I'm often competing with steel, fiddle, loud acoustic in the wedges, etc.

Those takes were all done in my bedroom. I'm new to digital recording on my own, even though I've been doing sessions for years with folks who understand the technology.
    I haven't learned how to "cut & paste" yet to clean up mistakes, so what you are hearing are basically one or two takes, straight through without stopping.

But hey, maybe music is better that way! LOL

JC

13. scottl

scottl Member

Or just hit my backings folder... The Nothing but Clips backings came from me...

14. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Wow...I must have been typing that post when you were typing yours... :)
    OK, I get it, now that I look at the "Nothing but Clips" page, I see that's it's your stuff.

It's a shame more folks aren't on there. It doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic, although the clips are generally good & the backings are great.

I'll check your backing folder and see if there's any I don't have-

JC

15. scottl

scottl Member

Hey Jayson,

I have a ton more.... Not online. I should upload another dozen or so into my folder.

Glad you've been digging them! Keep recording. I love your playing and tone!

Scott

16. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Cool! I'd love to hear some more!:dude

JC

17. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Jayson, I just heard the track, very nice playing and phrasing.

I really liked the tone, so nice and defined. If you put me with a clean tone, I'd probably sound better talking into the pickups. ;)

18. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

I have the slow beckish but I wanna know what the chord changes are...? I haven't actually sat down and figured them out, figured someone on here could just type them in for me instead. My Two-Rock CR on clean sounds so great with these slow grooves...it makes me feel like I'm in another world. It's crazy...just want the changes so I can create some more tastey lines using some jazz ideas.

Hope someone can help!

maybe email them to me at guitarguy3612@yahoo.com

19. Jayson Chance

Jayson Chance Member

Here's the basic form that I went with when doing the rhythm track and solo with the backing-

It's in Cm.

A) Cm-Fm6-Cm-Fm6
    Ab7-G7#9-Cm

B) Cm-Abmaj7-Cm- D 1/2dim
    Cm-Abmaj7-D 1/2dim G7#9- Cm

C) Fm-Ab/Bb-Ebmaj9-Abmaj7
    D 1/2dim- G7#9- Cm(9)

Those are, of course, pretty basic chord spellings for the thing. You can probably figure out some of your own inversions & substitutions to color it whichever shade you like... ;)

JC