1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Slow blues, need some feedback!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by cigpow, Mar 14, 2006.

1. cigpow

cigpow Member

2. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Sounds great in a Carlton kind of way :AOK .
    One thing that would make me enjoy it even more was if you had put in some more aggresive licks, it's a tad polite for my taste. An other MINOR thig is that it is not much development, I sort of wait for some thing to happend. On the other over a loop like this backing where NOTHING HAPPENDS exept it starts over it kind of hard to play a REAL solo. After this backing is just an intro, I know that i found it hard to "tell a story" with this backing, or impossible.:eek: for me
    But again over all great tone and phrasing :) :dude

3. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Tasty stuff! I enjoyed the clip. Thanks for posting.

I think to take it to the next level you'd want to build up the energy from those nice sultry licks to some, "stomp on my heart like a cigarette butt", kind of licks and then back again. ;) One way to do it would be to treat the end of progression as a spring board into the the next round instead of ending your lead with end of the progression. LC would do that a lot. He would take off on a more high energy line in the last 2 bars and blast into the next round of the progression on fire.

4. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Yeah, man !

I woke up this morning...
    :cool:

Very soulful playing!
    Hats off !

Nic to hear a clean guitar, for a change.
    Top notch sound, too!
    :BEER
    Lasse

5. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Very soulful playing. Nice tone and phrasing. I did a take over this backing as well and would have to agree it is tough to really build a solo over it but you did a good job. You have a really great touch!

6. Normster

Normster Member

Nice touch and great tone. You've definately got the LC thing going on. :)

7. journo

journo Member

Hi Ian,

There are many things to like about your playing.
    The choice of notes in your phrasing is very very nice. I envy you your ability to phrase like that.
    The dynamics in your playing is another factor that keeps my avid interest.
    The bends are soooo tasty.
    The timing is very relaxed while still spot on.
    Your sound fits this on the button. What's the gear?

I feel inspired to play by your take and to me that's the best there is.

Cheers,

Mats N

8. cigpow

cigpow Member

Hey guys

Thanks for all the kind words! I was trying to really lay back on this tune and just let my guitar compliment the awesome backing. I love playing with dynamics, thats the stuff that always kills me when I listen to B.B. King,Albert Collins, Albert King, and all those cats. Like 3 years ago or so when I was 14 and first started playing guitar I was into the fast SRV type playing but now I am all about phrasing, vibrato, and that fun stuff! I'm glad you feel inspired to play journo! As far as gear goes I was using my partscaster tele. USACG boatneck with a american fender body. A seyour duncan 59 humbucker in the neck and a seymour duncan broadcaster pickup in the bridge. I believe when I recorded this it was all on the humbucker. I was going straight into my musicman RD 50 112 amp, It gets a pretty good clean tone and the drive channel kills for Chris Cain stuff! Again, thanks for the feedback! I'm always looking for more so if you have some post it!

thanks!

Ian

www.irvingstreetblues.com

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I stole some Harryj licks!
    ----------------

Ian,

I hear 'em 'fer sure, especially the intro. I'm flattered.
    http://www.harryj.net/blues.mp3

Historically, it's always been a huge part of the blues tradition to "steal" licks from each other.

Let's face it, exactly what is totally original?

SRV had an entire career with Albert, and Jimi inspired licks, yet he blended them into his own intensely energetic variations and played them with finesse, and wore way cool hats.

No question, my approach to playing the blues was influenced by guitarists like: Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Chris Cain, Henderson, Kenny Burrell, Holdsworth, Betts and Duane, Beck, Page, Santana, Jimi, early Joe Walsh, Rick Derringer, Clapton, Blackmore, all the Kings, and a Collins or two, Buddy, and my main man, Roy Buchanan's slow precision stab you in the heart bends.

I don't think I sound anything like any of them, partly because perhaps I sound a little bit like all of them? And partly because I try to avoid playing specific licks. I think that's the hard part. Allow yourself to be influenced, perhaps inspired by a technique, then throw it all into a big pot and allow it all to stew till it becomes one.

Carlton inspired my approach to dynamic picking, but I try very hard to not play his lines... as if I could... Santana taught me that controllable harmonic feedback is another tool, Holdsworth inspired microtonal inflection, and trem bar use, Buchanan inspired precision bends and harmonics... it just keeps goin'. I hope it never stops.

I think you are an exceptionally tasteful blues player! Great vibrato, precision bends, sweet tone. I can't wait to hear how you will evolve.

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net

10. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

Yikes !

So You're 17, and have been playing for 3 years?
    Be happy!
    You are a real talent.
    :dude

Someone who want's to trade their Pokemon-cards, for my guitars?
    :eek:

Lasse

11. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Jeez, outstanding!

HJ

12. scottl

scottl Member

Can't wait to listen!! The link is restricted at work :(

But...... At least I can enjoy Harry's take! Again! and Again! and Again..........................................

13. scottl

scottl Member

Hey Ian, that was SUPERB. You have tremendous talent for not only your years but overall regardless of how old you are.

I think I need to pinch some ideas from you!!! Way to go bro.....

14. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

+1---and I add that its very hard to play the BB King -& Albert/ Freddie/Collins/King- school without a vocal line to "lay back behind"-
    -and also unusual for some one 17 to want to do it!!!

way to go-lets hear more!!

JF

15. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

Ian , your playing is way beyond your years , bends, phrasing and tonality I would expect from someone with a lot more experience than you have . I guess talent can make up for a lot . I'm impressed and thanks for the clip.
    Dave C

16. cigpow

cigpow Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm glad you guys are enjoying listening to this clip. Harry, hope you didn't mind me using your intro! Your the player who I admire the most on this board, your playing always blows me away, especially when you get scary good and start throwing in bebop lines and those cool 2 1/2 step bends! +1 on Chris Cain! He is THE MAN. Whenever I hear him play he scares me just as much as you do! Scott, thanks for the compliment, it means A TON to me especially since it is coming from a player of your calibur. You pinch ideas from me? I think you know it all already man! John, I agree, sometimes it is hard to lay back without vocals but this track is soooo relaxed that it makes it much easier. Dave, thanks for the kind words, i'm glad you liked the clip. There is nothing I love more than letting it all hang out with a nice relaxed slow blues tune. Again, thanks for taking the time to listen to this everyone! comments always welcome!

Ian

17. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

Just great! Congratulations. Great phrasing and great LC vibe to it. Really laid back...

18. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Ian,

Let me first say thanks for the warmth, secondly, without a doubt your ability and apparently personality are mature WAY beyond your years to repeat Dave C and everyone else who replied for that matter.

I must say that learning that you have been playing for 3 years at this point is extremely exciting. As I stated, "I can't wait to hear how you will evolve"

I truly don't mean this to sound the way that it might, but not only am I flattered that you would want to lift a few licks from me, but at 17 years of age, playing for 3 years, it's pretty damn awesome that you are able to!

Regarding Chris Cain... Jeeez what can be said? He is not only one of my favorite guitarists, but one of the nicest, warmest and most humble guys I have ever met. I played a show with him last summer in Chicago. Being the "other" guitarist on stage with Chris is both one of the most challenging, yet most inspiring spots to be in. Before the show, he walked up to the grand piano and proceeded to display his brilliance there as well, a total natural.

Ian, I think perhaps you are also a total natural. Keep growing! Might be a good idea to start lookin' for some cool hats and carve 'yer initials in your guitar too :)

I'd like to meet you 'n take you out for a ...... hot chocolate... yeah that's it.

HJ

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

Look, you're good.

Mick Taylor joined the Bluesbreakers and made his name at 18 years old. Eric Clapton had left The Yardbirds, The Bluesbreakers and Cream by the time he was 22 years old. At age 20 years he had "Clapton is God" scrawled over London.

What I'm getting at is if you don't want to end up widdling away in your bedroom at 40 get out there now and play. Time is easily wasted!

This is all for your own good (as my Mum, God bless her, would say).

Best, Pete.

20. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Too long for my taste, but very nice playing and tone. I kept wanting the organ to take a solo, even though I knew it was a backing track.

Nice touch. There was one real "BB King" moment that was very nice. Very authentic. I would have liked to hear a pickup chage, something to change up the flavor a bit, but that's nitpicking. Nice job.