SM-57s

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by markp, Sep 4, 2004.

1. markp

markp Member

I have two SM 57s ,both bought at same time 10 years ago an one is dark sounding and one is brite.

Is this comon?
    Do the pros out there have favorite 57 they go to?
    Is there a Booteeck 57?

Thank you in advance.

2. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Interesting... I've never experienced that. I have four, I think, purchased at various times over maybe a ten-year period and I always use the first one I grab. I find them to be pretty consistent. But I've never tried them as a stereo pair.

They're not so detailed to begin with, so I wouldn't expect to hear small variations that would be more clear in a finer mic. For that reason - that lack of detail that makes them perfect for some things - I can't think of a "boutique" 57. Maybe someone more experienced with different mics can suggest.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Yes, they do vary, and they do age. I have a friend who routinely checks his out with signal generators and tosses out or gives away the out of spec ones.

4. markp

markp Member

That is what I have alway thought.

I was actually kidding about the boutique 57s

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

To your topic, yes they can go bad over time, use and/or abuse. They either sound good or they sound bad. Seems to be no in-between. :D

To your quoted copy above, there are in fact boutique 57 "types" more than ramped up 57's; though I have read about folks making custom bodies with 90 degree heads (to record snares easier) in different places.

6. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Any dynamic mic will go bad over time as the magnet will loose its pull.

Also if they get moisture in them they can start to rust and the diaphragm will not move correctly.

You can buy replacement inserts from shure to bring them back to their full glory.