SM57 ——>???——>Macbook/Garageband

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by seth3, Feb 11, 2015.

1. seth3

seth3 Member

Looking for a simple solution. Emphasis on warm, lo-fi-ish recordings. I'm reluctantly using digital simply because it's easier, but anything I can do to make it sound crappy-cool/warm is better. I bought a cassette 4 track that died within months after I bought it. I'm easily frustrated by unreliable gear...

This guy (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/golden-age-project-pre-73-preamp-mkii?src=3soswxxa) looks kind of cool. But, again, I have no idea what I'm looking for. I know I need a USB out to plug into the Macbook.

Main thing—warmth and ease-of-operation. I'll use a Blue Snowball if that's easiest and best. Not super picky.

Recording vocals, acoustic, and (mostly) clean electric.

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You need a recording interface first and foremost.

A "Neve" preamp won't do you much good without one... :)

And don't read too much into the vintage hyperbole, it's still a quite hi-fi sounding product.

Fix your warm and lo-fi-ish in Garageband, there's loads of plugins that can do the job. :)

3. seth3

seth3 Member

Thanks Blix! Good to know. I see the word vintage, and I get excited...

So, I have a Tascam US-144 that isn't being picked up by Garageband. I wonder—do they get outdated?

4. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

My old Tascam interface broke(no drivers) a couple updates ago. I'm satisfied with the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 on the newest Mac OS.

5. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Looks like the latest driver for your interface says "unsupported" for Mountain Lion back in 2012, so it might be outdated unfortunately...

Believe me, that exited feeling reading vintage have cost me a fair bit of money :p

I'm sure the Blue wouldn't be that bad. But I'd personally get a decent interface and grab whatever I could of various ribbon mics, they are generally very warm, and ribbons being "hot ****" now(meaning many out of China), some may be crappy enough for you. :)

6. seth3

seth3 Member

Ha! I've had my eye on ribbons. And I have the SM57 as well as some old harmonica mic—which is so distorted it's almost unusable, so maybe a ribbon would be a great choice.

I've been hearing great things about the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. I'll definitely look into it!

Thanks guys!

7. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I'm using the Scarlet 2i2 into my MacBook into GarageBand - works great.

8. stratology

stratology Member

First of all, what's your budget?

Presonus interfaces have good preamps, and are reasonably priced.

Ribbon mics are great, prices also vary greatly...

If you're going for a separate preamp like the one you linked to, combine it with an interface that focusses on good converters, like Apogee or RME.

If you want to add warmth, you can also do that with plug ins after recording. Start with the Garageband plug ins, then look at things like PSP NobleQ, oldTimer and VintageWarmer.

How to you listen to your recordings? Monitor speakers are one of the most important parts of your audio set up.

9. seth3

seth3 Member

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Yeah, champagne taste, beer budget, for sure. Ideally, I want to keep it really simple, so having one box that is both a preamp and also an interface would be nice.

I tend to use headphones to listen to the recordings. I'd rather have a good pair of headphones for both playback and overdubs instead of headphones and monitors.

Thanks!

10. stratology

stratology Member

Headphones are great for editing, but not so good for mixing, very easy to put way too much bass on a headphone mix..

11. rob2966

rob2966 Member

Also, keep in mind that with headphones all the left goes only to the left ear, all the right goes only to right. With monitors each ear gets both (and there are delays that can sometime cause weird phase effects like comb filtering). If you only use headphones you won't hear some of these issues, but the first person to listen on speakers will :)

I currently use the larger brother Focusrite (18i8) and really like it so if the 2i2 meets you I/O requirements then it is a good option. There are also a bunch of other models in the same series, should be able to find one that fits your requirements.

Later
    Rob