SM57 & (MD421 vs Condenser) on Cabinets?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by shawntp, Feb 8, 2008.

1. shawntp

shawntp Member

Hey guys - I am a hobby home musician. I have a little experience with the mics I have used but I am scaling back gear and am looking for input.

I record my guitar cabinet (A low wattage Carr Mercury) at light OD levels. I have been using a SM57 on the grill and a Neumann TLM103 a bit back. I am selling that TLM103 and some other gear and downsizing to an Apogee Duet and a couple mics.

I was wondering how the SM57 & MD421 pair compares in rough general terms to what I have been doing. I am thinking of trying an MD421 or possibly just buying a cheaper used condenser like the AT4047.

I only have experience with the SM57+condenser pair and I am wondering what the main differences are in goind to two dynamics like the SM57 & MD421 in terms of what is lost/gained/changed in the capture?

2. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I haven't had the opportunity to use a 421, but obviously it does get good reviews when paired with the 57. I have however recently picked up a Senn e906 and have been very happy with it.
    The only pairing that I've tried with my 57 so for is with my 4033. It sounded good, but I wasn't able to dial out all of the phasing (cause I'm not that good yet). BUT, that being said the 4033 (and probably the case with all/most of the AT 4000 series) is a fabulous mic for acoustic and vox.

Point being, you still may be able to cover other ground with the AT40xx of your choice and get a good guitar sound when paired with the 57.

Finally, how much are you asking for the TLM103?