SM57 vs e906

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by WillLane, May 14, 2020.

1. electricity17

electricity17 Member

E906 is nice, I prefer it to an SM57. Seems more clear to me, although the mics are close in this demo (listening on my IPhone). Also prefer a Beyerdynamic M201 which is a very flexible, accurate dynamic mic.

906 is also really nice on toms, M201 is fantastic on snare if anyone is doing drums.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  2. Genghis

Genghis Member

Take that with a grain of salt. Around here a lot of people are looking for a specific sound and the 57 gets them there. I'm looking for specifics, but not the same old thing that has been done to death for 40nor 50 years, so I vastly prefer the i5 to the nasally old 57. They are similar in pickup patterns, but i5 just sounds a lot better to me.

E906 in my opinion sounds more like the natural sound of a cab, so it is my favorite. It also seems more forgiving with mic placement. 57 or an i5 seem like you get them placed just right and perfect and if you fart from across the room it will move the mic just far enough to totally change the tone.

GibsonGeek likes this.
  3. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great! I’m going full in now to try getting decent sounding recordings. Just ordered an e906 and an interface.

Prepare yourself to field many annoying questions from me

friend33 and Bluesful like this.
  4. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

That is a nice combo, 57 and 121 is very nice.

I have found, recording at home, when I get the 57 in the right place, it sounds better than anything else I have (I don't have a 121 unfortunately), better than the 906, better than IRs. But getting it into that exact spot is a pain in the butt. And just a little bit over and it can sound pretty bad. The 906 seems to be WAY less sensitive to placement and sounds really good just with a chord hung over. That is what it was designed to do. I prefer the 57 at home, or in a studio, if we can take the time (a good engineer can get it in the right place pretty quick, much faster than I can) but live, the 906 just works.

57 placement is so critical, they actually make robo mic holders you can move remotely, so engineers can move a mic from the control room while the player plays, to get it in the right position. Like, they have to build a device to do that, lol. That is how much placement is critical on a 57.

5. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Ditto though I use an old 545 instead of a 57 for recording. For live, I love the e 906. One less stand to haul and it gets the job done. I suppose there is a slight difference but it would take discerning ears and I can't recall the last time Robin Ford or Jo Bo showed up at one of my gigs.

ripgtr likes this.
  6. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Yeah I agree, the 57 is picky about placement and the 906 is much more forgiving, which makes it better for quick live work. I have my 57 in the sweet spot right now and I have the stand duct taped to the floor so it doesn't move! I love the sound of a 57 on dirty guitars, just compliments them so nicely. I'd love to try a 121 some day but they are pricey.

7. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I got to use a 121 last year, did a recording in a place not far from me, for an old friend. I can't even remember what dynamic mic, but he use the 121 for sure. It came out great.

I did a two week stand at this club, guy used a 421. Long story, but we got the mic just right, and we put tape on the floor and on the grill cloth, just in case it got bumped. Man the difference a half inch makes! So yea, mark it when you find it. :)

DonaldDemon likes this.
  8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Thanks mate.

Your clips sound epic with just a phone in the room. Can't imagine how they'll sound with the e906.

Always happy to help.

Echoplexi likes this.