• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Small 1/4" plugs for a snake?

thebigcheese

I've been using one of these Mogami snake cables to get from my pedal board to the amp since I run an FX loop and also footswitch cable and it makes setup quick and keeps things tidy, but standard 1/4" jacks are way too big for the cable. I have been wrapping colored tape around the cable where it goes into the jacket, which keeps it supported there, but it's still very heavy for the thin cable and I worry that it will eventually pull loose. Is there a smaller plug I can use? I have very little interest in buying an extremely overpriced commercially-produced snake (such as Lava Cable's snake - nearly $300? HA!), so I'm hoping there is a way to make this one work, or else finding some bulk snake cable with thicker wires inside.

Psychotronic

I use the same thing, actually, and I have yet to have a problem with it in the year or so that I've had it. It's been everywhere with me, too. Although I carry backup cables in case the thing goes on me, I've never had to use them. That being said, I have a breakout box on my board that everything plugs into, so there's probably less stress on them.

-analog-

Try packing the OD of the cabling with heat shrink tubing, get to .20"+ you should be fine with any 1/4" jack.. Might want to add a piece to function as a strain relief as well..

We've tinkered with using mogami snakes for send/returns & switching, generally it was a pita to work with and it was easier to take a qty of standard coaxial cable and techflex it together making a custom assembly, you get the single run multi functionality without the issues.. EA Monorail is very good for this application, its insanely strong and easy to work with..

Good luck

-norton.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member

The pictured mini snake is actually a deconstructed 4 pair snake. The snake was enclosed in a rubber casing that was extremely flexible, but I wanted more flexibility because of the short cable run. I took each of the cables and placed heatshrink on everyone before soldering the terminals on each end. but slipped the Techflex over it before terminating the other cable ends.

I used Neutrik plugs on a very small diameter cable. the cable retainer of the neutrik is adjustable based on the overall diameter of the cable. With a small diameter cable, don't remove the tab on the cable retainer, and it will surely retain the cable better.

thebigcheese

Wow, that is an extremely tidy board! Making me jealous... I've got some locking 1/4" jacks that I'm going to put on the back of my board to look a little tidier than the normal Switchcraft ones I was using. I might have to look more into this Techflex stuff. I haven't had problems with the Mogami snake yet, but that cable just seems so fragile and the plugs are so heavy by comparison. It just makes me nervous.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
A quick fix would be placing a sleeve of heats brink over the cable ends and then terminate the ends with your plug(s) of choice. There are the Switchcraft and G&H straight plugs that are slim but the weight are about the same. Amphenol plugs seem slightly lighter IMO. Overall, it's a matter of the cable retainer of the plugs themselves and using heatshrink for cable retention and strain relief. You can even use heatshrink over the entire plug shell and a portion of the cable to help in maintaining the integrity of the cable/plug connection.

thebigcheese

So I guess my main concern with the snake is that on the amp end of things the cables are a good foot or so long. That is, the skinnier, internal cables are that long from where they come out of the snake to where they terminate. It seems odd to me to just put heatshrink around that bit, although I had been doing that for the MIDI plug since I needed two cables for it. Leaning toward full-size cables with the Techflex, but I've already invested so much in the snake that I'm hesitant to buy a bunch of cable again...

What are you using for your right angle plugs in that picture? They look kind of like pancake jacks, but smaller.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom